Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 52901, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice.

I am tempted to upgrade my PPro 200 with one of those (the 440FX DEC motherboard has solder pads for a second ZIF socket, but only one fitted - I guess it was a at-purchase option)..... but I don't know if I can justify the cost (as you no doubt know they're rather expensive!) when I've got a perfectly good slot-1 440BX board if I want something a little quicker.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 202 of 52901, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the photos amigo, I did not remember/knew this overdrive... bench it and report 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 203 of 52901, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

thanks for the photos amigo, I did not remember/knew this overdrive... bench it and report 😁

Which type of benchmark you want me to do?

The machine has a Matrox Mystique + Voodoo 1
Win98SE + Win NT4 server is installed

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 204 of 52901, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was thinking one similar to a "normal" slot1 pII... but a "before" and "after" becnh could work too 😁
I am just curious how this overdrive scored in terms of performance

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 205 of 52901, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I was thinking one similar to a "normal" slot1 pII... but a "before" and "after" becnh could work too 😁
I am just curious how this overdrive scored in terms of performance

I'll think of some good windoze benchmark to run 😉

Maybe a Quake II bench or something...or Winstone benchmark

I think 3dmark would be a waste because of the slow Voodoo 1

Quite curious too what the difference will be

Reply 206 of 52901, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bah, the Overdrive cpu's don't work in my Micronics W6LI mobo...

The post as 266mhz cpu's but can't get past POST

Reply 208 of 52901, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

dang 🙁

Going to test it on my Asus dual P Pro rig when I have time, that board isn't so...."obscure" 😀

Reply 210 of 52901, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Damn...why didn't they make cool joysticks for us "lefties" too? 😢

Reply 211 of 52901, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

@Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

Damn...why didn't they make cool joysticks for us "lefties" too? 😢

You're left-handed? Wait, I believe there is a good left-handed (or universal-handed) joystick out there. IIRC it is Saitek Cyborg or such.

As for throttle, you can actually use left-handed throttle (throttle for right-handed people) in your right hand, but you will need to reverse throttle in order to press the throttle buttons with your thumbs.

Or, you can use "symmetrical" throttle like Thrustmaster WCS.

Reply 212 of 52901, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I notice the second adapter has the other type of plug. I'm guessing it connects to the mother board without use of the ribbon cable. Have you tried using both of them together?

Reply 213 of 52901, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I notice the second adapter has the other type of plug. I'm guessing it connects to the mother board without use of the ribbon cable. Have you tried using both of them together?

The second adapter is a dual adapter and I often use two CF cards in that one...

Haven't installed that rear bracket one, as my case is always open and pulling out the CF card is very easy.

Here is a pic with only one CF card loaded:

dsc01886h.jpg

Reply 214 of 52901, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason I ask is that I see it has a jumper for Master/Slave. Why would it have this if it weren't meant to be able to have two adapters on one bus? But the design precludes a second device. The system I want to fix up only has the one 40-pin connection so I wouldn't have the external adapter, or a CD-ROM, or anything since it's occupied by the adapter itself.

If the jumper is to select between the two CFs the same can be done by swapping the cards. The adapter would have to be pulled out either way. The jumper wouldn't be a conveniences feature if so.

Reply 215 of 52901, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The jumper sets which CF card is master and slave. Default is master for the CF card at the side where the power connector is and slave on the other side.

Moving the jumper justs (logically) swaps them around...

A silly feature I agree 🤣 but you never know, there might be a specific need for this feature.

For you just get another CF adapter. There are tons on ebay.

e.g. this one might work for you:

That way you use 1 IDE ribbon cable and 2 IDE to CF adapters. One at the rear (slot bracket) and one inside the case. You can jumper both to set master and slave. Note that you need a floppy power cable for both.

I had to get some molex to Floppy adapters for that!

dsc01418y.jpg

Reply 216 of 52901, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got some stuff today. Some of these took ages to arrive. I guess xmas time wasn't the best time 🤣

I got two SB 16 cards. CT2860 which are based on the Vibra 16S chip and come with a real Yamaha OPL3 chip. Apparently this is the last SB16 "design" which comes with a real Yamaha OPL3 chip.

It has line out and speaker out which is quite handy.

Next up are two MMX CPUs.

A desktop MMX 233 and a notebook MMX266

dsc02124m.th.jpg
dsc02126dr.th.jpg
dsc02128ke.th.jpg
dsc02129u.th.jpg
dsc02145j.th.jpg
dsc02144n.th.jpg

Reply 219 of 52901, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Bargain 🤣

Seconded.

Btw shock, I noticed you live in NRW. Do you happen to live anywhere near Warstein by any chance? 😉