VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22120 of 52818, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Sony Vaio laptops keeps popping up. I think they are definitely my favorite now as far as old laptops go. The design is just so nice and they seem to use a lot better plastics than the other brands of the same vintage.

This time it a a PCG-C1X
Pentium 266Mhz (chipset seems like it should be a Pentium II)
ES1879 Sound (real mode DOS compatible)
2.5MB Video (not D3D compatible)
8.9" TFT 1024x480 screen.
64MB RAM (upgraded to 128MB) - the RAM upgrade itself is probably worth about as much as I paid for the whole thing shipped.
Has the original restore disks, Win98SE and Windows 2000.
Also has the floppy and CD-ROM drive, wireless PCCard, and USB 10/100 NIC, Sony PCCard to memory card adapter and some other odds and ends.
Says it comes with the VGA adapter cable, but it isn't pictured.

Sale said that the pointer in the keyboard doesn't work due to a broken cable and it won't turn on when the battery is installed, but I am guessing the cable issue should be a not too difficult fix and the battery is probably just bad.

Too many pictures to post everything, but here is some of it.

PCG-C1X.jpg
Filename
PCG-C1X.jpg
File size
74.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ACC.jpg
Filename
ACC.jpg
File size
69.18 KiB
Views
File license
recovery.jpg
Filename
recovery.jpg
File size
87.31 KiB
Views
File license
W2K.jpg
Filename
W2K.jpg
File size
94.64 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22122 of 52818, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's unused OEM. There's quite a lot them hanging around here and there, but technically you'll violate terms of use if you install it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22124 of 52818, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's unused OEM. There's quite a lot them hanging around here and there, but technically you'll violate terms of use if you install it.

It was actually installed on the laptop as seen in the picture.

Anyway, I really doubt MS cares about anything pre-XP license-wise. Only reason I start at XP is because you still need to activate XP with MS.

And since support has completely ended for XP, MS is not going to care about that either. Or Vista for that matter, but I have 0 reason to use Vista.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22125 of 52818, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
zip.jpg

^^ This one even came with a factory Zip250 drive. Apple went on a binge of including zip drives for a while, to appease prospective buyers who were scared of the removal of the 1.44MB floppy. Uncertain times!

I want to live in a world where the LS-120 drive took off and continued to evolve and I have a box full of 32GB superfloppies on my desk that go into an internal SATA drive that takes almost every disk made from 1990 on. Flash cards are too small and come in too many incompatible designs, 3.5" floppies were exactly the right size, and LS-120 was backwards compatible, unlike Zip.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 22126 of 52818, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Woolie Wool wrote:
xjas wrote:
zip.jpg

^^ This one even came with a factory Zip250 drive. Apple went on a binge of including zip drives for a while, to appease prospective buyers who were scared of the removal of the 1.44MB floppy. Uncertain times!

I want to live in a world where the LS-120 drive took off and continued to evolve and I have a box full of 32GB superfloppies on my desk that go into an internal SATA drive that takes almost every disk made from 1990 on. Flash cards are too small and come in too many incompatible designs, 3.5" floppies were exactly the right size, and LS-120 was backwards compatible, unlike Zip.

I can only imagine how unreliable, expensive and slow a 32GB swappable magnetic media disk and drive would be.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22127 of 52818, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
piiiii.jpg
Filename
piiiii.jpg
File size
103.14 KiB
Views
File license

15 lbs worth of slot1 cpus 🤣 🤣 ( Pentium2 / Pentium3 )
Pic from the seller... im eager to receive the package 😎

Reply 22128 of 52818, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
okenido wrote:
The attachment piiiii.jpg is no longer available

15 lbs worth of slot1 cpus 🤣 🤣 ( Pentium2 / Pentium3 )
Pic from the seller... im eager to receive the package 😎

Nice. Post what you actually get after sorting.

I've got yet another Sony Vaio PCG-C1VN on the way.. this one definitely for parts.. or maybe I will just swap the screen from my current one... not sure.
The case on this one is in much nicer shape than mine. The charge port on mine is broken as well. Works but very loose due to the plastic being broken.
And if I am really lucky, it will have an unobtanium RAM upgrade.

PCG-C1VN-parts.jpg
Filename
PCG-C1VN-parts.jpg
File size
221.48 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22129 of 52818, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man. You are on a roll. My Sony Vaio (P3) is sadly about 2000+ miles from me at the moment at a relative's house. Kinda wish I had it in my possession. I really like the look and feel of those guys.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22130 of 52818, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My NOS Gainward GeForce3 64MB CardExpert finally showed up. Paid $25 shipped for it.

Beautiful card. I love the all red design. Supposedly it was built with higher than spec memory so maybe I can get it up into the Ti500 clock speed range.

It'll be going into the S478 1.7GHz Willamette machine. It should make a nice year 2001 machine until I find a cooler for the Socket 423 board I was given or get the Socket 423 Sony Vaio working. Not sure what's wrong with it. I can't remove the power supply to get to half the internal components which really doesn't help. I was able to test it with a different PSU because the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors were accessible but it still didn't start. Does anybody know if Sony used proprietary power supplies during 2001?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22132 of 52818, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
bought a lot of cards very cheap. most are just crap, i only wanted the tnt ultra so had to buy all 4 […]
Show full quote

bought a lot of cards very cheap.
most are just crap, i only wanted the tnt ultra so had to buy all 4

dois.jpg
uni.jpg

TGUi9440-3 PCI is rare according to Wikipedia.

And is that the ESS AudioDrive that is supposed to be one of the best SB compatibles you can get?

You might give the Crystal chip a go as well. Don't buck it till you try it.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22133 of 52818, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TGUi9440 rare? It was a pretty common mid 1990's low-end card in my experience. These days anything from back then is rare, but this isn't in the same league as many other things people are looking for. The only reason it might become rare is people binning it for lack of interest or redeeming features. It's a (slow) 1MB PCI VGA card, with functional Windows and DOS driver support. Not much more than that, but if you need 2D image (at low res/colour depth) it'll do the job.

The most interesting thins about this card is how late it is - that 9440 chip has a 1997 day code. This was low-end in 1994/5, by 1997 it's astonishing Trident was still manufacturing it, more so that people were still equipping cards with it.

Reply 22134 of 52818, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

And is that the ESS AudioDrive that is supposed to be one of the best SB compatibles you can get?

the ESS Audiodrive is the ES1868F
and i didn´t know it was actually a good isa soundcard.

Reply 22135 of 52818, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

And since support has completely ended for XP, MS is not going to care about that either. Or Vista for that matter, but I have 0 reason to use Vista.

I have 1 reason for myself to have a dedicated Vista machine: Using programs that no longer work on Windows 7+ due to f*cking Windows Updates breaking support for them. >.<

Reply 22136 of 52818, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

the ESS Audiodrive is the ES1868F
and i didn´t know it was actually a good isa soundcard.

I like them. Very straightforward and compatible.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22137 of 52818, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My NOS Gainward GeForce3 64MB CardExpert finally showed up. Paid $25 shipped for it.

Beautiful card. I love the all red design. Supposedly it was built with higher than spec memory so maybe I can get it up into the Ti500 clock speed range.

It'll be going into the S478 1.7GHz Willamette machine. It should make a nice year 2001 machine until I find a cooler for the Socket 423 board I was given or get the Socket 423 Sony Vaio working. Not sure what's wrong with it. I can't remove the power supply to get to half the internal components which really doesn't help. I was able to test it with a different PSU because the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors were accessible but it still didn't start. Does anybody know if Sony used proprietary power supplies during 2001?

Hey that's interesting, I've just built a 478 1.7GHz Willamette. Strange thing is, my Canopus GF3 Ti500 won't play nicely with it. Displays text mode stuff fine, but blanks out when the drivers kick in under Win2k - tried nVidia drivers as well as the Canopus ones from the product CD. Keen to hear how you go with the Gainward GF3.

On the purchase front, just picked up a Pentium MMX VRM for an IBM socket 7 machine.

Reply 22138 of 52818, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Unused OEM is good enough for me, don't have even that..

Microsoft is a lot more lenient about the use of their licenses than people think, they won't mind using that license on another PC at all.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22139 of 52818, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh, they care. quite a bit. but going after individuals is not worth the time, effort, bad pr, and most Importantly, MONEY to enforce licences.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.