VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23261 of 52910, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day I had a Hercules Dynamite 128 4mb version, which was an ET6000 card. For some reason they go for ridiculous money on eBay these days...

Reply 23262 of 52910, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Got my own set of these iconic speakers (sold in many brand variations) […]
Show full quote

Got my own set of these iconic speakers (sold in many brand variations)

d6P35gSl.jpg

Also, they were tree fiddy euro 😀

I, too, wonder if these speakers are any good. I often see the 120W Primax-branded version of these and they certainly look cool and would probably be an upgrade over my Creative SBS20 anyways (I mean they definitely are a lot bigger).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 23263 of 52910, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ ...and on that note, I did contact the seller of the pair of those I posted up yesterday. Despite it being a BRAND NEW LISTING that was made THAT DAY (one of several from the same seller!), he replied that he was on holiday until the END OF MAY and maybe we could meet up when he got back. I utterly cannot fathom why people do that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23264 of 52910, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ ...and on that note, I did contact the seller of the pair of those I posted up yesterday. Despite it being a BRAND NEW LISTING that was made THAT DAY (one of several from the same seller!), he replied that he was on holiday until the END OF MAY and maybe we could meet up when he got back. I utterly cannot fathom why people do that.

Wow that's bad. Did the auction have the notice saying they were away?

Had some frustration as well. Today I got a Coppermine PIII to put in a slot 1/370 combo motherboard that I thought would accept it just fine after going through the manual/bios options.
133MHz FSB? Check.
1.75V? Check.
Installed it, machine turned on but no post. Went back through the manual again and checked the box. Found this piece of paper in the box:

100_4536.JPG
Filename
100_4536.JPG
File size
225.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

tenor.gif

Fun stuff. Got a slotket adapter on the way now. Why do I get the feeling it won't be compatible even though the packaging says it'll work with PIII Coppermine CPUs...

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 23265 of 52910, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SEGamer wrote:
xjas wrote:

Wow that's bad. Did the auction have the notice saying they were away?

Actually it looks like this one was my bad, I misread the "ad renewed" date as the "posted" date. It is an older ad (not a timed auction) from back in January. But still, the seller deliberately bumped it back up to the front page while they're out of town for the next month. Why. (There's no auto-renew function on that site that I'm aware of.)

I HAVE on multiple occasions replied to freshly-posted ads, only to hear back that the seller was out of town or wouldn't be able to meet up for weeks. This is apparently a thing that people do. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23266 of 52910, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was expecting this in the mail for some time. Socket 7 boards aren't near as common as I wish they were and ATX Socket 7 boards are even less so, so I jumped on the Tekram. It was a filthy, corroded mess when it arrived. I cleaned it thoroughly. Pretty much every jumper pin was bent so I straightened them. One of the pins on JBF2 header (used for setting the multiplier) broke off in the process 😢 That jumper is not used for any CPUs listed in the manual, but the manual lists multipliers only up to K6-233, so I assume that will be necessary if I ever want to run a K6-266 or K6-300.. Considering this board does not support K6-2, I find it very, very unlikely that I would ever need that pin, but the OCD in me may have the header replaced some day (and likely ruin the board..)

Tekram_P5_T30-_A4.jpg AOpen_MX3_S.jpg ASound_MA5_ASOUND-_OPL.jpg

S3_Virge_DX_4_MB_B.jpg

I also got this damaged Voodoo 3 3000 AGP for nothing, so it will be an interesting restoration project.

Voodoo_3_Damaged.jpg

If anyone can tell me what the missing component I need to hunt down is, it would make my life a lot easier. The detached (and ruined) component is labeled R143JNB89 so I assume it's some kind of 143 Ohm resistor?

Voodoo_3_Damaged_Missing_Component.jpg Voodoo_3_Damaged_Component.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-05-03, 09:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23267 of 52910, by 33oldnew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last with drivers for Windows 98 ?
AGP PNY GeForce 6800 GS 256MB GDDR3 256-bit

Attachments

Reply 23268 of 52910, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tegrady wrote:

Back in the day I had a Hercules Dynamite 128 4mb version, which was an ET6000 card. For some reason they go for ridiculous money on eBay these days...

Well... I had an ET6000 "Dynamite" edition. For some reason I just did not like it, and I sold it again.
They are more of a collectors item, than they are really that usefull. Better cards out there, like S3-Trio64v+.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23269 of 52910, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a couple lots of computer parts for scrap, almost entirely video cards.

There were dozens of Geforce4 MX 440 and Geforce 2 MX cards, Matrox G200, G450, G550, misc TNT2 and ATI cards, all in pristine condition. But there were some real gems in these lots... some of which were in rough shape.

Several 3dfx cards. A Voodoo 3 3000 PCI with 5.5ns SGRAM, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, Ensoniq Voodoo Banshee, all of which I've tested and are working, and... a Quantum3D Raven PCI 3dfx Voodoo Banshee... the second one of these I've found in two years. This one looked like a complete loss due to being filthy and having a rusty back plate but its so rare I was willing to attempt to clean it up and repair it. The time and effort paid off because the card looks fine and runs beautifully after some repairs and cleaning.

Creative CT1690 SoundBlaster Pro 2... the strange thing is that the only other SBPro 2 I've personally come across was a CT1600 that came in the same lot as the first Q3D Raven PCI I owned... what a weird coincidence! Thankfully, this card appears to be in excellent shape.

EVGA Geforce FX5950 Ultra 256MB AGP (with the Nvidia blower style cooler that somewhat resembles the dustbuster on the 5800 Ultra)... card looks great except for a few missing ceramic caps on the back. Shouldn't be hard to replace.

Other cards... Hercules 3D Prophet II MX, OEM Geforce 2 GTS 32MB, OEM GF4 Ti 4200 (passive cooling), Radeon 7500 64MB PCI, Radeon 9800 Pro, Radeon 9700 Pro, Tseng ET4000AX ISA, a Mylex EGA card from the mid '80s, ESS ES1688+ES968 Audiodrive, Biostar Riva 128 AGP, , Number Nine Imagine 128, a few S3 Trios and Virges, a Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-E, and more... I have a lot of testing to do, but hey, I enjoy doing it and I can make a few bucks reselling good cards that would have been melted down and turned into a few cents worth of gold.

I'll probably post some pictures of my restoration of the Raven PCI when I get a chance. I'm kind of surprised how well it turned out.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2018-05-03, 03:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23270 of 52910, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
OPTi ISA sound: […]
Show full quote

OPTi ISA sound:

KhgSRopl.jpg?1

I spy with my little eye an illegally cloned OPL3 chip and DAC.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23271 of 52910, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The detached (and ruined) component is labeled R143JNB89 so I assume it's some kind of 143 Ohm resistor?

That's 14.318 mhz quartz oscillator for AGP/PCI bus.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23272 of 52910, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Dell DImension XPS D333 came today! https://imgur.com/a/xyq41L7

Attachments

• 20180502_230142.jpg
    Filename
    20180502_230142.jpg
    File size
    283.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23273 of 52910, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man I LOVE those cases, I hope I own one, some day, somehow..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23274 of 52910, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! You could also get a newer Dimension XPS B/R/T/V series or a Dimension 4100 and order the faceplate for the older D/H/P series.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23275 of 52910, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this for free thanks to a great guy:

* Presario MV500 + matching JBL speakers. The monitor stand was broken so I removed it.
* 2x GF3 Ti 200 (Medion and Leadtek Winfast)
* Pentium 2 micro-atx motherboard but with P3 slot 1 CPU installed + RAM

And I bought a Gotek 😀

No pics yet sorry...

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23277 of 52910, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Show full quote

OPTi ISA sound:

KhgSRopl.jpg?1

HAHA... there were so many cards back then that had cloned OPL3 and DAC. Not surprised one bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23279 of 52910, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Show full quote

OPTi ISA sound:

KhgSRopl.jpg?1

I will turn it in at the police office first thing tomorrow morning 😢 🤣 🤣 🤣

Nah, or maybe not. Thanks for pointing it out, I love the weird/quirky/unique-ish stuff from the past.

1982 to 2001