VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23280 of 52790, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Today was a good day" they played in that song..Definitely could have been worse, though, as today was the day I took delivery of a Voodoo 5 Mac (sealed). Couple of tears in the shrink wrap but overall, still very very nice. Agreed, payed a very high price for her but I did not jump into this straight away - quite the contrary. Had long discussions with the seller and almost gave up on this but in the end, had to ask myself a one simple question: Am I ever going to see one sealed ever again? In all honestly, I don't know.. However, when all is said and done I have no problem unboxing her myself (when the right time comes) and enjoying her to the full.

TZRUtOrh.jpg?1

Roland in yellow looks a bit odd to me but guess I need to get used to it as today was also the day I received my second (yellow;) boxed copy of SCC-1. I know, I know, I should not complain but still, this turned out to be a slight disappointment. Yes, the box is in great shape as is the card inside. Yes, it got those adapter cables, manuals, fliers and disks but..serials do not match! This is really, really bugging me 😢 especially knowing my another copy has a matching box vs. card serial. My bad, though, should have double checked and asked for more pictures. "Life is life" they played in that another song.

JhNyPjxh.jpg?1

Reply 23281 of 52790, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I will turn it in at the police office first thing tomorrow morning 😢 🤣 🤣 🤣

Nah, or maybe not. Thanks for pointing it out, I love the weird/quirky/unique-ish stuff from the past.

It's a far bigger crime if it sounds bad. 🤣

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23282 of 52790, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:
"Today was a good day" they played in that song..Definitely could have been worse, though, as today was the day I took delivery […]
Show full quote

"Today was a good day" they played in that song..Definitely could have been worse, though, as today was the day I took delivery of a Voodoo 5 Mac (sealed). Couple of tears in the shrink wrap but overall, still very very nice. Agreed, payed a very high price for her but I did not jump into this straight away - quite the contrary. Had long discussions with the seller and almost gave up on this but in the end, had to ask myself a one simple question: Am I ever going to see one sealed ever again? In all honestly, I don't know.. However, when all is said and done I have no problem unboxing her myself (when the right time comes) and enjoying her to the full.

TZRUtOrh.jpg?1

Roland in yellow looks a bit odd to me but guess I need to get used to it as today was also the day I received my second (yellow;) boxed copy of SCC-1. I know, I know, I should not complain but still, this turned out to be a slight disappointment. Yes, the box is in great shape as is the card inside. Yes, it got those adapter cables, manuals, fliers and disks but..serials do not match! This is really, really bugging me 😢 especially knowing my another copy has a matching box vs. card serial. My bad, though, should have double checked and asked for more pictures. "Life is life" they played in that another song.

JhNyPjxh.jpg?1

Wow!..... is that the card from the guy from the Netherlands on Ebay? Because he asked a LOT for that sealed card. I know it is RARE but that was expensive.
I have a boxed one as well (not sealed) and the same person offered me very good money for mine a couple of years ago, but i refused. Just LOVE that box 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23283 of 52790, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

I know it is RARE but that was expensive.

Who cares?? Why do some of you guys insist on commenting on other peoples spending habits? I can't get my head around how you consider it any of your business! Do you do that to people in real life?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23284 of 52790, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
meljor wrote:

Who cares?? Why do some of you guys insist on commenting on other peoples spending habits? I can't get my head around how you consider it any of your business! Do you do that to people in real life?

If there was a place where everyone gathered together regularly for the sole purpose of bragging about their purchases, then yes, I'm sure discussion of price would come up. Frequently.

We all know that these rare old items exist in the world, therefore the only reason to post about buying them rather than just posting links to other people's pictures is to say "look what I have". Everyone who posts in here does it, and it's a very vain practice... I'm guilty of it too. If someone spends what would be a month's wages for someone else on a sealed boxed item that will likely just sit on a shelf until it disintegrates, then posts about it online in"the bragging thread", someone else is bound to say " wow, that was expensive". It's all relative, but people are still going to say it.

If someone knows the'll be offended by someoner telling them their item was pricy, they wouldn't be bragging about buying it. Most likely, this thread drives people to buy the things they buy, just so they can brag about it to people who actually know what the item is. It's just a game everyone plays...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 23285 of 52790, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

is that the card from the guy from the Netherlands on Ebay?

Yes, the same guy - he was in need of a new car (or so he told me) and was getting rid of his 3dfx collection..

meljor wrote:

Just LOVE that box 😎

Thanks pal, me too 😀

Reply 23286 of 52790, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the top board finally arrived today; the bottom one's just for comparison's sake.
Amiga_2000_keyboards.jpg

I didn't even need this keyboard, admittedly. I just wanted what may be the best Amiga keyboard ever produced, with Cherry MX Black keyswitches, double-shot keycaps, and NKRO diodes.

There's also a bunch of other things not pictured here that got delivered: PLCC extractors, an 8372 Fat Agnus chip, a GGLabs F2R16 flashable ROM (was intending to get the DiagROM pre-flashed one, but goofed and got one with Kickstart 3.1 instead because it was ten bucks cheaper), 2 MB of SRAM chips to load up the A2091 SCSI controller board with Fast RAM, and also another Amiga tank mouse with the keyboard so both my A500 and A2000 can have their own mice.

One thing's for sure: this Amiga thing sure is becoming a money pit...

Meanwhile, every time I see a Voodoo5 5500 PCI Mac Edition, I just think "Damn, I wish I had one of those for my Power Mac 9600!" Too much money for my liking, though.

Reply 23287 of 52790, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an offer for a simple Socket 7 board against an X1950PRO PCI-Express I had lying about so I took it, why not? It turned out to be a 430FX which is a chipset I didn'town before, not that it has any features worth owning, I would think..

PC_Partner_MB500_N.jpg

But the start of the show was this 256K COAST module it came with, which I didn't know the board had installed (and neither did the previous owner I suppose)

COAST_256_K.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23288 of 52790, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

[...]

Most likely, this thread drives people to buy the things they buy, just so they can brag about it to people who actually know what the item is. It's just a game everyone plays...

Tbh I prefer bragging about what interesting stuff I manage to get *without* spending large amounts of money. Still vanity of course, but there's different hues and shades of it.

appiah4 wrote:

[...] It turned out to be a 430FX which is a chipset I didn'town before, not that it has any features worth owning, I would think.. [/]
The i430FX is a bit of a retro dilemma. When it was released it was a huge leap in terms of performance, at last providing the compelling reason to buy a Pentium that had been missing for the first few years. But unless you specifically want to build an early 1996 system it's difficult to imagine good arguments to choose a board based on it. Inversely though it's a solid, reliable platform for a P54C to shine on. And worth a play at least 😉

But the start of the show was this 256K COAST module it came with, which I didn't know the board had installed (and neither did the previous owner I suppose)

Yep. With asynch cache the FX is pretty meh, it takes PLB to shine. That also dates the board accurately, as early boards just would have had asynch, later ones PLB on the motherboard itself.

Reply 23289 of 52790, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
meljor wrote:

Hmm... i don't care about what people spend (but sure i wonder about some things sometime). But my response was ALL about the SELLER, not the buyer....
I saw it listed the other day for around 2500 euro plus shipping! I don't know what the buyer paid and i don't care but i know for a fact that the guy was/is asking extremely high numbers (1200 euro for a sealed voodoo2 1000 for example ??).

I did state it is rare and i also said i have a boxed one too (but not sealed) that i wouldn't sell for a high amount of money and i just love it. It is just the insane high prices the guy asked and i simply thought he would never sell anything. Hope the buyer got a great deal anyway.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23290 of 52790, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
meljor wrote:

Don't hate. Appreciate.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23291 of 52790, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

The i430FX is a bit of a retro dilemma. When it was released it was a huge leap in terms of performance, at last providing the compelling reason to buy a Pentium that had been missing for the first few years. But unless you specifically want to build an early 1996 system it's difficult to imagine good arguments to choose a board based on it. Inversely though it's a solid, reliable platform for a P54C to shine on. And worth a play at least 😉

Yep. With asynch cache the FX is pretty meh, it takes PLB to shine. That also dates the board accurately, as early boards just would have had asynch, later ones PLB on the motherboard itself.

I have a 1995 P54C system running on a VX board.. I could move that to the FX board I guess but what purpose that would serve I do not know..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23292 of 52790, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_20180505_105852114_zpsqmval2cs.jpg
IMG_20180505_105857746_zps9cwhadmx.jpg
IMG_20180505_111134551_zpsnzi91vqv.jpg
IMG_20180505_113318860_zps8g8nw5mf.jpg

Proud new owner of a "rough" Voodoo 5500 Mac edition!

At first I thought the card was faulty as I tried booting with DVI which didn't work, VGA does work although the picture is a bit hazy, guess I shouldn't be suprised maybe the physical state of the card has something to do with it 😲 !

On to 3Dmark 2001se and the tests were buggy as all hell I thought maybe the memory was borked, Windows XP did correctly identify the card as a Voodoo 5500 and installed some default drivers.

So im using some Amigamerlin driverpack which had a few errors whilst installing but it ran through 3DMark without any issues.

Can you get DVI to work on the pc with these cards? I presume so if someone has made an appropriate 3rd party bios?

hmm yeah, the seller said it "looks like someone has put the card in the oven" so maybe it has been resurrected I don't know, the fans do look like they're melted or something.

Any tips of what fans to replace with? Can you get the same replacement fans anywhere?

Anyway the best part of the deal was the price, $120AUD which is around $90USD, a bloody good gamble!

Reply 23294 of 52790, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:
Proud new owner of a "rough" Voodoo 5500 Mac edition! […]
Show full quote

At first I thought the card was faulty as I tried booting with DVI which didn't work, VGA does work although the picture is a bit hazy, guess I shouldn't be suprised maybe the physical state of the card has something to do with it 😲 !

On to 3Dmark 2001se and the tests were buggy as all hell I thought maybe the memory was borked, Windows XP did correctly identify the card as a Voodoo 5500 and installed some default drivers.

So im using some Amigamerlin driverpack which had a few errors whilst installing but it ran through 3DMark without any issues.

Can you get DVI to work on the pc with these cards? I presume so if someone has made an appropriate 3rd party bios?

hmm yeah, the seller said it "looks like someone has put the card in the oven" so maybe it has been resurrected I don't know, the fans do look like they're melted or something.

Any tips of what fans to replace with? Can you get the same replacement fans anywhere?

Anyway the best part of the deal was the price, $120AUD which is around $90USD, a bloody good gamble!

If the caps weren't a problem before the oven they surely are after an oven.
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Compatibility Problem

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23295 of 52790, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dirkmirk wrote:
Proud new owner of a "rough" Voodoo 5500 Mac edition! […]
Show full quote

Congratulations , this is my favorote retro video card. I wonder if someone already reflashed it with a PC version but picked the wrong version for DVI compatibility. My one works great with DVI.

Reply 23297 of 52790, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A very nice SS7 motherboard - AOpen AX59pro

P_20180505_165630.jpg
Filename
P_20180505_165630.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

With a very nice SS7 CPU in it - AMD K6-3 400Mhz

P_20180505_170253.jpg
Filename
P_20180505_170253.jpg
File size
751.83 KiB
Views
File license

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 23298 of 52790, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fleamarket finds:

IMG_9319.jpg
Filename
IMG_9319.jpg
File size
153.75 KiB
Views
File license

Two PCMCIA flash cards from 1995 and a noname PCI ATA controller card in unopened box. The box says the card can do Bus Master PCI and speeds of 133 Mb/s, then manages to contradict itself a few lines lower, so the speed may not be more than 66 Mb/s (or 100 Mb/s, the box is unsure... 🤣 ). 4 Euros total.

noname IDE controller box contents (figured I could open it, it cost me all of 1 Euro):

IMG_9320.jpg
Filename
IMG_9320.jpg
File size
179.18 KiB
Views
File license

Skipped some AGP graphics cards, including an AGP Pro one (have no boards into which it fits).

Reply 23299 of 52790, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this:

WP_20180505_009.jpg
Filename
WP_20180505_009.jpg
File size
559.59 KiB
Views
File license