Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23320 of 52793, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote:
Picked up a Compaq branded ESS Audiodrive (ES1869) for next to nothing. Waiting for delivery now. […]
Show full quote

Picked up a Compaq branded ESS Audiodrive (ES1869) for next to nothing. Waiting for delivery now.

Anyone happen to know if those are full featured, or if they're crippled some way compared to non-OEM-branded ones? Noticed the "Waveblaster header" was missing, but might be enough to solder in a pin header?

It looks exactly like this:

$_57.JPG

Edit: and while I'm at it, do anyone know what that extra part of the edge connector with three connections to the left is used for? Connections for internal speakers or something like that perhaps?

I'm currently setting up a Compaq DeskPro 6400 which came with exactly that card, too. The 4-pin edge connector is not used even there - no idea what's it for.

The card is quite nice, as it has an extra connector for an internal speaker, which is used in the Compaq so no external speakers are needed to get sound. Also, it has separate Line Out and Speaker Out. Being a card for office use, however, it has no game port and also no MIDI capabilities. Thus, I don't think you get MPU-401 by simply soldering the missing pins.

Reply 23321 of 52793, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

[...]

Anyone happen to know if those are full featured, or if they're crippled some way compared to non-OEM-branded ones? Noticed the "Waveblaster header" was missing, but might be enough to solder in a pin header?

I also recently acquired one. It does the hardware SBpro2.0 stuff well enough, but it's pretty noisy. Not tested it beyond that as I have better ESS-based cards.

[...]

Edit: and while I'm at it, do anyone know what that extra part of the edge connector with three connections to the left is used for? Connections for internal speakers or something like that perhaps?

Yep, internal speakers. Only used in some models, i.e. the ones with such speakers.

Reply 23322 of 52793, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If yours is noisy, then it's broken. According to reviews, that Compaq card has less noise than most other no-name cards based around that ESS chip. It uses a high-quality Philips amp.

Reply 23323 of 52793, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finalized the Dell Dimension XPS deal, securing myself a working PII system along with one of my most wanted cases.. for $12.

In the process I got the seller to send me more photos of the thing, and it turned out to be a D333, the fastest of the line.

BBDCB911-_D6_D8-42_A8-_BA82-562_E7_BAE2_F84.jpg 90_B9_D0_EF-173_D-4430-_A8_ED-002_D23032_BC6.jpg 1_DDC109_B-_BF34-4_BB6-824_F-853253386_AB9.jpg 425_D9_EAA-3_C54-4_E97-_BA11-821020443_DF7.jpg

(Do not use after 20-12-00 what the hell? 🤣)

From what I can gather online and from the pictures and the configurations online it is:

Pentium II 333MHz
Unknown amounts of (Stock is 64MB) PC66 RAM
50x ASUS CD-ROM (Stock is 32x Unknown brand)
Unknown HDD
Diamond Permedia 2 8MB
Turtle Beach Montego (this seems to be the Montego II with the SP/DIF daughterboard)
3Com 3C905 Fast Eterhlink XL (which seems to have RJ45+BNC and even +audio versions)

The only nonstock thing is the SCSI card on the ISA port - no idea what it is for and what it works with inside.

Apparently the original configuration came with Windows 95 but had free 98 upgrade offers, so no idea what this will come with.

All in all very happy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23324 of 52793, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

I'm currently setting up a Compaq DeskPro 6400 which came with exactly that card, too. The 4-pin edge connector is not used even there - no idea what's it for.

The card is quite nice, as it has an extra connector for an internal speaker, which is used in the Compaq so no external speakers are needed to get sound. Also, it has separate Line Out and Speaker Out. Being a card for office use, however, it has no game port and also no MIDI capabilities. Thus, I don't think you get MPU-401 by simply soldering the missing pins.

dionb wrote:

I also recently acquired one. It does the hardware SBpro2.0 stuff well enough, but it's pretty noisy. Not tested it beyond that as I have better ESS-based cards.

Yep, internal speakers. Only used in some models, i.e. the ones with such speakers.

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Seems like I've got some experimenting to do then 😀 If there aren't a lot of blind traces from the waveblaster header leading to unpopulated solder pads, I'll just try soldering in a pinheader, it can't possibly damage anything at least.

Ah cool, noticed those extra connections after buying the card, and started wondering if it wasn't really an ISA card, but some proprietary Compaq stuff.

Reply 23325 of 52793, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received a big box with goodies yesterday. Actually it where 4 boxes... 🤣
Unfortunatly we went on a short holiday today so no pics so far.
Some highlights are:
- Pentium 66 mhz socket 4 in pristine condition.
- Boxed Voodoo 5500 AGP
- Voodoo 3500 incl cable and driver disc
- Matrox M3D
- Asus 386/64k Motherboard

And lots of other boards, cards and extras..

Will take some time to test when I am back, but it makes me a happy guy!

Reply 23326 of 52793, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Seems like I've got some experimenting to do then 😀 If there aren't a lot of blind traces from the waveblaster header leading to unpopulated solder pads, I'll just try soldering in a pinheader, it can't possibly damage anything at least.

Ah cool, noticed those extra connections after buying the card, and started wondering if it wasn't really an ISA card, but some proprietary Compaq stuff.

I am almost 100% sure the waveblaster header should work if you solder it in.

Reply 23327 of 52793, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:
Just got a SB16 CT2230 Revision 49432 (the last and best revision). Need to find a CT1748A chip to fit in the socket. It looks a […]
Show full quote

Just got a SB16 CT2230 Revision 49432 (the last and best revision). Need to find a CT1748A chip to fit in the socket. It looks a lot better than the photo 😀

This will be going in the 486 build I'm working on, with Win 95 OSR 2.1

img-0656.jpg

Excellent choice! Bought exactly the same card a few days ago!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 23328 of 52793, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My "Blue build" got a new part.
GeForce 3Ti 500 from Hercules. I already had regular GF3 but wanted Ti500 as the most powerfull of 3 series.

Hercules-GeForce-3-Ti500-Prophet-III.jpg
Filename
Hercules-GeForce-3-Ti500-Prophet-III.jpg
File size
225.03 KiB
Views
File comment
Hercules Prophet 3 Ti 500
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 23329 of 52793, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nvm1 wrote:
I received a big box with goodies yesterday. Actually it where 4 boxes... :lol: Unfortunatly we went on a short holiday today s […]
Show full quote

I received a big box with goodies yesterday. Actually it where 4 boxes... 🤣
Unfortunatly we went on a short holiday today so no pics so far.
Some highlights are:
- Pentium 66 mhz socket 4 in pristine condition.
- Boxed Voodoo 5500 AGP
- Voodoo 3500 incl cable and driver disc
- Matrox M3D
- Asus 386/64k Motherboard

And lots of other boards, cards and extras..

Will take some time to test when I am back, but it makes me a happy guy!

Can believe that - that's some fancy stuff you got there!

What board is the P66 on? Or is it just the P5?

Batyra wrote:

My "Blue build" got a new part.
GeForce 3Ti 500 from Hercules. I already had regular GF3 but wanted Ti500 as the most powerfull of 3 series.

I may have to start a colour build too - my son's complaining about the boring green and brown PCBs in his computer - he wants it all red. Doing that with Super So7 is going to be quite a challenge 😜

Reply 23330 of 52793, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I lost a bidding war with Batyra for an EWS64 XL..

Reply 23331 of 52793, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

I may have to start a colour build too - my son's complaining about the boring green and brown PCBs in his computer - he wants it all red. Doing that with Super So7 is going to be quite a challenge 😜

Super Socket 7 is a challenge... I have one red PCB socket 7 motherbard and red PCB simm RAM... but it was EXTREMELY hard to find...

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg
Filename
BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg
File size
353.75 KiB
Views
File comment
Batyra's Red Build.
File license

Reply 23332 of 52793, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

Super Socket 7 is a challenge... I have one red PCB socket 7 motherbard and red PCB simm RAM... but it was EXTREMELY hard to find...

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg

And the obvious sound card to go with them 😉

Not so hard to find, but not cheap either.

Reply 23334 of 52793, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
dionb wrote:

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg

You can always go the easy (and cheap) route and go black with a SB Live! card

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 23335 of 52793, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:
dionb wrote:

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg

Its+called+yaranaika+face+you+need+to+_afd0b82bc92d4f18ca4e8630dc532064.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23336 of 52793, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
Batyra wrote:

BATYRA_REDbuild.jpg

It only costs $4?

Reply 23338 of 52793, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I traded mine some time ago so I have to get it back 😀
WaveBlaster II ct1910

waveblaster2.jpg
Filename
waveblaster2.jpg
File size
202.32 KiB
Views
File comment
Waveblaster II CT1910
File license

Reply 23339 of 52793, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
dionb wrote:

It only costs $4?

Uhuh. Now show me a GUS Extreme for that price (OK, I'd also settle for a Max) 😵