VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23820 of 52803, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My OSSC arrived today. I hope it works well with my 286 and capture setup. The 70Hz might be a problem for the capture device, but I will test that tonight, or maybe tomorrow. Either way: I love the build quality! Seems like a good piece of hardware!

87CDEE45-E021-4917-96DD-D7B448BC366D.jpeg
Filename
87CDEE45-E021-4917-96DD-D7B448BC366D.jpeg
File size
125.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 23821 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ES1868F is a very (SB Pro) compatible PnP ISA sound card with a great sounding FM Synth, one of my favorite cards for early ISA systems. Es1938 is a very (SB Pro) compatible PCI sound card with the same FM Synth. Food FM Synths and compatibility are rare in PCI sound cards so it's a nice card to have. The downside is that it has no hardware A3D or EAX but you can't have anything. It's great to pair with something like an Aureal or Live! card in a PCI-only system.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23822 of 52803, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, what a great score!! what did the rest of the lot look like?

seanneko wrote:

Bought a complete 286 from someone who clearly knew nothing about it. Inside was this. Can't complain about that.

rsz_img_20180610_164959.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 23823 of 52803, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a Dell OEM - ATI Radeon 9700 (TX? same as non-pro?)

Very similar to my original one with the exception of the completely seized fan and bulging capacitors 😒

20180611_233848.jpg
Filename
20180611_233848.jpg
File size
933.26 KiB
Views
File comment
Radeon 9700
File license

Still the fan is fixed now, I guess I should test it at some point.

I also won an auction for an old Pentium machine, which I really bought for the AT case it's in 😁

Reply 23824 of 52803, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
probnot wrote:
Digital converter box + transmitter. […]
Show full quote
verysaving wrote:

Analog TV in 2018 ?

Digital converter box + transmitter.

Also, it came with a schematic! I didn't know they did this as late as 1987!

nNi5Nuyl.jpg?1

EDIT: Twins!

jtlbCpam.jpg

No transformer in the power supply, be careful if you open it !

BTW, I like very much those transistor B/W TV Sets, I have some on them that would like to restore
some of these days!

Reply 23825 of 52803, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote:

Wow, what a great score!! what did the rest of the lot look like?

seanneko wrote:

Bought a complete 286 from someone who clearly knew nothing about it. Inside was this. Can't complain about that.

rsz_img_20180610_164959.jpg

Thirded! You left out pics of the coolest part!

gdjacobs wrote:

If they ask, tell Industry Canada you've definitely wrapped your house in a Faraday cage.

I would be shocked if the transmitter went further than 35ft. It's a little consumer grade deal with a 3ft telescopic antenna. Is harmless! 😀

verysaving wrote:

No transformer in the power supply, be careful if you open it !

BTW, I like very much those transistor B/W TV Sets, I have some on them that would like to restore
some of these days!

I'm used to working on older tube radios and used to work on TVs in the late 90s/early 2000s. Safety precautions are always in force.

I remember seeing little cheap B&W sets like these as late as 1994-1996. Even then, I remember seeing a little 12 or 13" B&W set on the wall of TVs in Wal-Mart and being shocked they still sold them (for like 80 Canadian pesos if I'm not mistaken).

Reply 23826 of 52803, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:

I would be shocked if the transmitter went further than 35ft. It's a little consumer grade deal with a 3ft telescopic antenna. Is harmless! 😀

As long as they don't detect anything. Unlike VHF FM radio, there is no low powered micro-broadcasting allowance for VHF broadcast TV channels. 😒

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23827 of 52803, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
probnot wrote:

As long as they don't detect anything. Unlike VHF FM radio, there is no low powered micro-broadcasting allowance for VHF broadcast TV channels. 😒

What about UHF? This one is on channel 15 I believe.

Reply 23829 of 52803, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sonicblaze wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/XUE7bm6l.jpg […]
Show full quote

XUE7bm6l.jpg

Precision Pro was from a friend and the Gravis Phoenix was on Ebay, rest are from local thrift stores. I've been wanting a Phoenix for years because it just looks radical, like it belongs on a Klingon bridge or something. Can't wait to try it out.

I had completely forgot about those Gravis Phoenix until seeing your pic. What a weird joystick.

I got a 13" vcr combo last month and a 5" color TV brand new in box a few weeks back. Lots of tube TVs everywhere it seems, but that's probably my confirmation bias. 😀

Reply 23830 of 52803, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:
sonicblaze wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/XUE7bm6l.jpg […]
Show full quote

XUE7bm6l.jpg

Precision Pro was from a friend and the Gravis Phoenix was on Ebay, rest are from local thrift stores. I've been wanting a Phoenix for years because it just looks radical, like it belongs on a Klingon bridge or something. Can't wait to try it out.

I had completely forgot about those Gravis Phoenix until seeing your pic. What a weird joystick.

I got a 13" vcr combo last month and a 5" color TV brand new in box a few weeks back. Lots of tube TVs everywhere it seems, but that's probably my confirmation bias. 😀

No Tube TVs really are everywhere. Some of the higher end ones are HD and had HDMI so in theory could still be used today. I have a 1080P 32" Sanyo CRT in one of my two HTPC setups. Looks better than most LCDS and a great many LEDs I've seen.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23831 of 52803, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

No Tube TVs really are everywhere. Some of the higher end ones are HD and had HDMI so in theory could still be used today. I have a 1080P 32" Sanyo CRT in one of my two HTPC setups. Looks better than most LCDS and a great many LEDs I've seen.

weird, I never realized such a thing existed. I know it made sense in monitors, but not 16:9 screens.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23832 of 52803, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
probnot wrote:

What about UHF? This one is on channel 15 I believe.

From RSS-210:

Unwanted emissions of transmitters and receivers are permitted to fall within the restricted bands listed in RSS-Gen and TV bands 54-72 MHz, 76-88 MHz, 174-216 MHz, and 470-698 MHz; however, fundamental emissions are prohibited in these bands.

Don't get caught. 😎

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23833 of 52803, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
probnot wrote:
Kinda off topic (but still retro) […]
Show full quote

Kinda off topic (but still retro)

Found this at a garage sale for $8, still new in the box.

4DiQ5Cdm.jpg
Filename
4DiQ5Cdm.jpg
File size
12.97 KiB
Views
File license
p4aDjP2m.jpg
Filename
p4aDjP2m.jpg
File size
15.65 KiB
Views
File license

Just a couple of months ago I came very close to buying a large 1960s era TV that was in factory new condition from an estate sale, but it was big, heavy and $350 which I thought was steep. It did have the original remote and manuals which was amazing. Very similar to this one, but not quite. Would it even be possible to hook an old console like an Atari 2600 or Intellivision to one of these? Would a standard RF modulator work? I know some of these old units I see have nothing in back to hook up to or maybe I am just not seeing the antenna hookup.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
24.22 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-06-12, 16:42. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 23834 of 52803, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Just a couple of months ago I came very close to buying a large 1960s era TV that was in factory new condition from an estate sale, but it was big, heavy and $350 which I thought was steep. It did have the original remote and manuals which was amazing.

I didn't know remote control TVs were a thing in the 60s 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23835 of 52803, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Just a couple of months ago I came very close to buying a large 1960s era TV that was in factory new condition from an estate sale, but it was big, heavy and $350 which I thought was steep. It did have the original remote and manuals which was amazing.

I believe my parents referred to them as clickers.

https://www.metv.com/stories/a-history-of-the … its-advertising

Reply 23836 of 52803, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MOAR 486!

SILICON STAR PI4-PI4T PCI.jpg
Filename
SILICON STAR PI4-PI4T PCI.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File license
Intel DX4 100Mhz EW.jpg
Filename
Intel DX4 100Mhz EW.jpg
File size
560.24 KiB
Views
File license

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23837 of 52803, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
debs3759 wrote:
liqmat wrote:

I believe my parents referred to them as clickers.

https://www.metv.com/stories/a-history-of-the … its-advertising

Yes I had a remote on a very old TV. It only had two switches, power/standby and 'next' channel 🤣

They were ultrasonic (rather than infrared like in the 80's/90's), try not to use it with your pets around 😵 ... everytime I pressed the button, my cat would spring out from some crevasse in the room, scream, and subsequently bolt for the door...

Reply 23838 of 52803, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need another PC like I need a hole in my head, but whatever, it was ten bucks. I like the design of these "bulged cap" systems anyway.

Compaq Presario 5204, K6-2 350, unknown RAM as of now, 2 hard drives: WD Caviar 1.6gb and Seagate Medalist 6.5gb. Haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

Attachments

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 23839 of 52803, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cj_reha wrote:

I need another PC like I need a hole in my head, but whatever, it was ten bucks. I like the design of these "bulged cap" systems anyway.

Compaq Presario 5204, K6-2 350, unknown RAM as of now, 2 hard drives: WD Caviar 1.6gb and Seagate Medalist 6.5gb. Haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

I've always been curious about these K6 OEM systems, does it have a S7 board in it or an SS7? I never used an MMX or K6 system, went from P54C straight to a Pentium II, so I want to know if the K6 or K6-2 were commonly paired with SS7 boards with AGP slots, or whether they were mostly used on regular S7 boards and SS7 was a novelty even back then..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.