VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24020 of 52884, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't posted nothing from a while - all my free time goes on making my latest build - that I will present soon.

Today I got this 😀 Audiotrix Pro with Effects Daughterboard
Quite rare this days...

AudiotrixPro.jpg
Filename
AudiotrixPro.jpg
File size
230.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Audiotrix PRO with effects DB and Audiotrix 3D in the back
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Batyra on 2018-06-27, 12:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 24021 of 52884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No Batyra watermark on the photo? That's a first. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24022 of 52884, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

OMG! you're right! Fixed! Thanks 😁

Reply 24023 of 52884, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

OMG! you're right! Fixed! Thanks 😁

It would be trivial to remove your watermark if someone wanted to reuse the photos anyways. I don't see the point.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24025 of 52884, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.ido wrote:
xjas wrote:

An ATI Rage LT Pro PCI, with some kind of mini-D-sub flat panel connector on the front (anyone know what this is for?) and a Sound Blaster 16 for five bucks each. Not bad!

I've seen early Compaq branded LCD monitors with this connector. I've also seen cables with this one one end and a DVI on the other. It could also be a pre-DVI digital output (panellink?). Can't read the numbers on the transceiver chip near the connector, but there may be datasheet for it somewhere.

That's a VESA DFP conntector. I had one of those Rage LT Pro cards (AGP version, not PCI). I even remember having had a monitor to connect to it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The phyisical connector was similar to SGI's OpenLDI connector but a bit smaller. And not compatible with it - otherwise I would have connected an 1600SW to it 😉

Reply 24026 of 52884, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a ton of C64 stuff. The C64 itself is a bit rough, but i think i can bring it back.

20180624_214735.jpg
Filename
20180624_214735.jpg
File size
465.78 KiB
Views
File license

(or a video if you want to watch me unbox everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83RjLdEsEw

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 24027 of 52884, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

It would be trivial to remove your watermark if someone wanted to reuse the photos anyways. I don't see the point.

Watermarking pictures this way is actually childish and ridiculous. He's picturing hardware that wasn't designed or built by him, so the watermarks are only for bragging. I can't recall ever seeing someone else doing something similar when showing rare, or supposed to be rare items, no matter how rare they actually are.

Reply 24028 of 52884, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Watermarking pictures this way is actually childish and ridiculous. He's picturing hardware that wasn't designed or built by him, so the watermarks are only for bragging. I can't recall ever seeing someone else doing something similar when showing rare, or supposed to be rare items, no matter how rare they actually are.

It does help with scammers trying to "sell" hardware they don't actually have. I have seen a large number of stolen pictures on eBay from scammers just copy/pasting a listing onto their stolen account.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24029 of 52884, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS S3 cards:

ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX and Virge DX.jpg
Filename
ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX and Virge DX.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX 4 mb.jpg
Filename
ASUS S3 Trio64V2 DX 4 mb.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license
ASUS S3 VIRGE DX 4 mb.jpg
Filename
ASUS S3 VIRGE DX 4 mb.jpg
File size
921.51 KiB
Views
File license

Yep, for some strange reason they've decided to produce S3 Trio64 on late Virge PCB with 4 mb expandable. Both are 35ns and pretty much as top tier S3 as you can get (in their respective chip families).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24031 of 52884, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
derSammler wrote:

It does help with scammers trying to "sell" hardware they don't actually have. I have seen a large number of stolen pictures on eBay from scammers just copy/pasting a listing onto their stolen account.

It also helps against shoddy Retro Tech!(tm) sites and low-rent Youtubers stealing your pics without permission. Both of which happen quite often. You take the photo, you own the rights to the photo, regardless of what the content of it is, and you get to decide whether you want to let someone else to use it or not.

(For a while one of my cars - complete with my numberplate & mods visible - could be found in a retrospective article from a pretty big shitty online car mag who should have been employing professional photographers. My own photo, lifted straight off my host. I never got any reply or acknowledgement from the site operators despite repeated efforts, but the photo disappeared after a while. Yeah, that irked me pretty hard.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24032 of 52884, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got the Toshiba Tecra 780CDM... just waiting for the power adapter. It's complete with a hard drive and it came with a Xircom ethernet card. https://imgur.com/a/8JRJUhn

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 24033 of 52884, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I normally put my username as the watermark when I post something online so that way everyone knows it's copyright. Whoever steals it, lawsuits will be piling up.

@oeuvre: nice laptop, dude.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24034 of 52884, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know that the board layout allowed for interchangeability of the chipset. Chipsets must be completely pin-compatible to each other.

Funny how this exact question interested me a month ago. At that moment I found the explicit notion of pin compatibility between the 86C775 and 86C375 in their datasheets, and now this picture proves that.
Attention all you Quantum3D fans, I'll show you something interesting related to this topic sometime soon, in the course of a month or so. Stay tuned 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 24035 of 52884, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't know that there will be discussion on watermarking…

There are few reasons I'm doing it.

Often - when I look for some stuff in the net - I want to see more pictures, compare my card etc. it is easier to find it and seek for owner or his collection to get more info or more photos… the same thing is done for example by easy_john, amoretro, enigma, yjfy.com, even Artex photos even if there is no watermark are allways on the same light brown background so when I see one in google graphics I know this is his photo etc - i think it's helpful and OK... it helped me many times to find some more pictures, data etc. that way.

Maybe by this watermark someone will visit my website and see my collection - why not. Maybe find some mistake, or write to me to ask about something or be willing to trade... why not?

For me it has nothing to do with my "artistic photography" hahah copyright or to prevent stealing and useing it by someone... oh come on! Yeah but it's easy to call it childish, ridiculous, pointless… blah blah blach

giphy.gif

Reply 24036 of 52884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaveJustDave wrote:
Picked up a ton of C64 stuff. The C64 itself is a bit rough, but i think i can bring it back. […]
Show full quote

Picked up a ton of C64 stuff. The C64 itself is a bit rough, but i think i can bring it back.

20180624_214735.jpg

(or a video if you want to watch me unbox everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83RjLdEsEw

I had watched your video prior to this post; I really hope you share some videos of your adventures into Commodore Assembler. I really enjoy your channel and wish you best of luck with it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24038 of 52884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Ignore them Batyra and keep posting your great pics of great hardware.

ditto , I find the "maybe someone contacts / visit the site" quite a clever thing too 😎

Last edited by keropi on 2018-06-27, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24039 of 52884, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a cheap 1994 Lexmark-era Model M today. 2 key caps missing, which is just an excuse to go buy a whole new custom set 😉

First wait until it arrives. If it's good, new caps are go, if not it's just a source for spares for my other Model M's.
(this is sort of developing into a fetish...)

I'm using my rubber dome QuietTouch at work and regularly get colleagues taking pics of it 😉