Reply 24600 of 52797, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hamby wrote:
Today I stopped by several Goodwills and found... nothing. […]
Show full quote

Today I stopped by several Goodwills and found... nothing.

Then, after stopping by KFC to pick up some supper, I spotted another Goodwill, and decided to give it a try...

There were 3 monitors there; two Dells and a Sony. The Sony had what I think was a DVI cable.

They wanted $9.99 for the Sony and one of the Dells, and $7.97 for the other Dell. So I got the two Dells..

One was an ST2010b: 20 inch, 1600 x 900 display according to the specs.
The other was an E170Sc: 17 inch, 4:3 aspect ratio, 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Got them home, plugged in the E170Sc... worked beautifully with both DOS and Windows XP.
Tried the ST2010b... also worked beautifully with XP.
The ST2010b has inputs for both VGA and HDMI.

But two excellent working LCD monitors I can use with my vintage computers... for about $19 after tax.

Don't know what year the E170Sc is; I assume the ST2010 is from... 2010. I'm guessing the E170Sc is a lot older.

Wow, can't imagine being able to drive to several Goodwills without putting a few hundred miles on my vehicle. There's one in my town, one an hour away in one direction (55mph through hills and forests), one an hour away in another direction (65mph highway driving), and one a couple hours away in another direction (70mph). Then you can drive 3 hours in another direction and not find a single one. None of them ever have anything computer related except for some old games from time to time.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24601 of 52797, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Wow, can't imagine being able to drive to several Goodwills without putting a few hundred miles on my vehicle. There's one in my town, one an hour away in one direction (55mph through hills and forests), one an hour away in another direction (65mph highway driving), and one a couple hours away in another direction (70mph). Then you can drive 3 hours in another direction and not find a single one. None of them ever have anything computer related except for some old games from time to time.

Here in Florida, where I am staying for a few months, you have Goodwill stores every few miles, but same problem as with most lately. They are all putting most of the good stuff online at their auction site or Ebay and the stores have lots of dusty clothes and junk. Thrift stores have been a better bet for me lately.

Reply 24603 of 52797, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was supposed to end gathering MS-DOS era laptops, but when I've noticed this Toshiba 500CDT for 27EUR, my resolution just shattered into pieces.

500CDT.jpg
Filename
500CDT.jpg
File size
47.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Seller's photo, for now.

Reply 24605 of 52797, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote:

I was supposed to end gathering MS-DOS era laptops, but when I've noticed this Toshiba 500CDT for 27EUR, my resolution just shattered into pieces.

Don't forget to check if the bios battery is leaking when you get the computer.

Reply 24607 of 52797, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At first look it doesn't seem any special but... when you'll look closer it is PCI version of AWE64 😀

AWE64DPCI (1).jpg
Filename
AWE64DPCI (1).jpg
File size
275 KiB
Views
File comment
SoundBlaster AWE64D CT4600 (sellers photo)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 24608 of 52797, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting to see something like that. Just like the Sound Blaster 16 in a PCI form.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24609 of 52797, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

At first look it doesn't seem any special but... when you'll look closer it is PCI version of AWE64 😀

AWE64DPCI (1).jpg

Damn! I've never seen one of those before outside of a Wiki page!

Reply 24611 of 52797, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

AWE64DPCI (1).jpg

Soooo jelly! I have been wanting to get one of those for a long time. Great find!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24613 of 52797, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote:

Yo, dzien dobry, Oldcat,
just got a 510CDT a couple of weeks ago! 😁
Brace yourself for replacing the fan.. it might be really loud.

What a coincidence! Any suggestions when it comes to replacing the fan? With what?

peido wrote:

Don't forget to check if the bios battery is leaking when you get the computer.

Of course! I will have to wait a bit, though, because my wife doesn't know about this one yet...

liqmat wrote:

You should know by now if you are posting in this thread you are not immune to hoarding. We must save them all!

Guilty as charged! I would have hoarded more, if only I didn't have budget and space limitations... Still regret selling Toshiba T5200, for example.

Reply 24614 of 52797, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

AWE64DPCI (1).jpg

Groovy. The original SB-PCI connector!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24615 of 52797, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dell Dimensio 4500 for free. I am growing oddly fond of these P4 Dells. First the 4600 and now this

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 24616 of 52797, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:

You have good resources there 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24617 of 52797, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote:

What a coincidence! Any suggestions when it comes to replacing the fan? With what?

Well, maybe it won't be an issue for you but from what I could find out, in a lot of machines of that series the lube in the fan's ball bearing eventually dried up, making the fan ultra-noisy. I solved this by replacing the fan with a "refurbished" one (part number UDQFB2E02) I randomly found on Amazon. There are used ones on Ebay, but who knows whether they're still any good.

The other issue is that when the computer is plugged in, the fan always runs on full speed. I'm not sure it's supposed to do that since there are two mode settings in the BIOS; they just don't seem to make a difference. So maybe that's just for battery mode, which I can't test because my battery is quite dead.

Anyway, to sum this up, your fan might be just fine. If it isn't and you can't find a replacement, there's the option of re-lubing it with a heavy oil (there is "fan lubricant", but I assume 10w30 motor oil would work). If the battery on your 500CDT works maybe you could let me know whether the fan behaves differently in battery mode!

Reply 24618 of 52797, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a very reasonably priced complete system with a Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard and an Athlon 800 T-Bird. It's a Socket A motherboard with an ISA slot so I am planning on grabbing the deal even though the rest of the package is pretty useless (AGP TNT2M64, 56K modem, 2x128MB PC133 SDRAM, nice K6/K7 era minitower case with round accents), but I don't know the motherboard revision. Depending on the revision it's either KT133/VT686A or KT133A/VT686B. As far as I know the VT686B has a pretty nasty bug with IDE transfers, was this ever resolved? Is the motherboard/system worth grabbing?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24619 of 52797, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Found a very reasonably priced complete system with a Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard and an Athlon 800 T-Bird. It's a Socket A motherboard with an ISA slot so I am planning on grabbing the deal even though the rest of the package is pretty useless (AGP TNT2M64, 56K modem, 2x128MB PC133 SDRAM, nice K6/K7 era minitower case with round accents), but I don't know the motherboard revision. Depending on the revision it's either KT133/VT686A or KT133A/VT686B. As far as I know the VT686B has a pretty nasty bug with IDE transfers, was this ever resolved? Is the motherboard/system worth grabbing?

I would say yes, I love Slot A myself. It's not the most stable platform though. Depends on the price in the end I think...

1982 to 2001