VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26260 of 52775, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally got one. I have been shopping for one of these for a while. I missed a good opportunity a few months back, But not today.
IBM Aptiva M62 Model 2176-C77 Desktop Computer.
I think it's a Pentium MMX 200mhz. with up to 128mb ram.
Great for Windows 95

Attachments

• IBM-02.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-02.jpg
    File size
    382.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IBM-01.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-01.jpg
    File size
    376.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IBM-03.jpg
    Filename
    IBM-03.jpg
    File size
    278.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 26261 of 52775, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have always wanted one of these back in the days but never got around to finding a good one.
It's one of the early Sony Vaio Desktops with ISA and PCI slot motherboard.
200mhz MMX Pentium
up to 128mb ram
add-on Yamaha SCSI cdrom

Attachments

• Sony Vaio -001.jpg
    Filename
    Sony Vaio -001.jpg
    File size
    145.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Sony Vaio -002.jpg
    Filename
    Sony Vaio -002.jpg
    File size
    366.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Sony Vaio -003.jpg
    Filename
    Sony Vaio -003.jpg
    File size
    345.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Sony Vaio -004.jpg
    Filename
    Sony Vaio -004.jpg
    File size
    242.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Sony Vaio -005.jpg
    Filename
    Sony Vaio -005.jpg
    File size
    592.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 26262 of 52775, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sony definitely did some interesting things with their desktops. I have a VAIO that a friend gave me that has a P4, SIS chipset and a really crazy micro-ATX case that requires several panels to be removed to get into it, and the strangest thing is that the speakers are powered by a DC socket on the back of the power supply. I'd hate to have to replace that unit if it ever goes bad. I have the whole system, 100% complete though (aside from packaging). He gave me the monitor, original peripherals, and all the manuals and paperwork that it came with. I've had it for a year or two but I still don't know what to do with it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 26263 of 52775, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I have always wanted one of these back in the days but never got around to finding a good one. It's one of the early Sony Vaio D […]
Show full quote

I have always wanted one of these back in the days but never got around to finding a good one.
It's one of the early Sony Vaio Desktops with ISA and PCI slot motherboard.
200mhz MMX Pentium
up to 128mb ram
add-on Yamaha SCSI cdrom

Nice. That Sony VAIO is one of the coolest looking desktops of its time period IMO.

Reply 26264 of 52775, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Sony definitely did some interesting things with their desktops. I have a VAIO that a friend gave me that has a P4, SIS chipset and a really crazy micro-ATX case that requires several panels to be removed to get into it, and the strangest thing is that the speakers are powered by a DC socket on the back of the power supply. I'd hate to have to replace that unit if it ever goes bad. I have the whole system, 100% complete though (aside from packaging). He gave me the monitor, original peripherals, and all the manuals and paperwork that it came with. I've had it for a year or two but I still don't know what to do with it.

Yeah, I am going to restore these computers back to factory and add some nice cards.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-12-01, 04:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26265 of 52775, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snagged an ASUS P3V4X motherboard for $5 plus shipping. It wasn't packaged very well, but thankfully survived the trip and booted first try on my test bench with a Pentium III 600B and a Diamond TNT2. 😎 I've got several 440BX Slot 1 boards and a VC820, so this one rounds out my Slot 1 chipset collection with the VIA Appollo Pro 133A.

P3V4X_1.jpg
Filename
P3V4X_1.jpg
File size
348.14 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 26266 of 52775, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought BX is far superior than the apollo?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 26267 of 52775, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schlang wrote:

Not if you want peace-of-mind @ 133MHz on the FSB, that which the 600B uses. And, sometimes it doesn't matter if the thing is "far superior" to the other thing; quirks and inexplicable weirdness can be part of the fun of this hobby.

Reply 26268 of 52775, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
schlang wrote:

Not if you want peace-of-mind @ 133MHz on the FSB, that which the 600B uses. And, sometimes it doesn't matter if the thing is "far superior" to the other thing; quirks and inexplicable weirdness can be part of the fun of this hobby.

Exactly this! It's just fun to play with all the different Slot 1 platforms. Intel's failure to roll out an affordable 133 FSB platform with AGP for so long (relatively speaking) made for some interesting developments in 1999/2000. The 440BX lived on well past its intended lifespan, i820 failed to gain any real acceptance due to crazy RDRAM pricing, the MTH for adapting SDRAM onto i820 was a joke, and the VIA Apollo Pro 133A gained some decent popularity.

Reply 26270 of 52775, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an old barn 286-12mhz system yesterday.

Included:
1.2meg floppy
1.44meg floppy drive
50meg Quantum IDE Hard drive.
Trident 8800cs VGA 8-bit card with VGA and TTL output.
IDE/Floppy ISA card
Serial/Parallel ISA card
AT case and PSU.

The heart of the system is the motherboard below, sporting a 286-12mhz CPU and 4meg of socketed RAM (that is a lot of RAM for just sockets!):

IMG_2730.JPG
Filename
IMG_2730.JPG
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license

This motherboard had a leaking CMOS battery, as per below:

kek34.jpeg
Filename
kek34.jpeg
File size
209.74 KiB
Views
File license

So that had to go and the entire motherboard received a full wash and basic repair. A couple of the tracks looked a little iffy, so I repaired those, (one with a bit of wire, the other I just ran solder over the top as it wasn't as badly damaged).

When I first powered it up, the tantalum capacitor on the 12V line exploded. That was fun. It blew off it's leads and landed in the middle of the board, giving it a little burn. Thankfully, no real damage, and the board powered back on and worked once it had burnt it's shorted capacitor.

The hard drive also works fine, but started with a bit of a grind and whirr, as the old grease in the spindle bearing had settled and need a minute to redistribute.

Reply 26271 of 52775, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlang wrote:

Well... The benchmarks that I ran on an Intel VC-820 and an Intel SE440BX-2 said that the 440 was a better solution. Yet in real life usage (gaming), I did not see any real differences. Both stable, and both gave the same user experience. If you run Windows9x only except for a select few Dos games (the usual Doom/Duke3D), you will be just as happy with an 820 chipset compared to an 440bx chipset. Both boards are equally stable as well. If you want more power, then go for something more beefy. Like SocketA, Socket754 or Socket478. Then again. You do not always get ISA on 8xx-series of motherboards. Most likely you will not find it. So if Dos is an extreme strong priority, then go for a 440bx based board. And then again, it might be too fast for the Dos titles that you are using. It is this ISA-Soundcard talking point again. If it is too fast for the Dos game, then go for something even slower, like 430 chipset based Pentium-1 system. And that defeats the whole talk about 440bx being superior and all that.

Personally. I have one Socket478 board (SIS-something based) and one SocketA board (Apollo-266 based) in boxes, and in my main Win98 machine, I am using an Intel d815eea2 motherboard. Shure it is not "the best", yet I have a stable system that are fast enough to be useable for gaming in 800x600 and sometimes 1024x768.

What I am trying to say is that the fastest possible, are not always what you want. 440bx is a strong and well thought out chipset. It is stable and really well running. Yet superior? Depends on what software you want to run.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 26272 of 52775, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

20€ 😎
(seller photos)

$_57 (1).JPG
Filename
$_57 (1).JPG
File size
85.5 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (3).JPG
Filename
$_57 (3).JPG
File size
105.45 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (4).JPG
Filename
$_57 (4).JPG
File size
133.9 KiB
Views
File license
$_57 (5).JPG
Filename
$_57 (5).JPG
File size
120.47 KiB
Views
File license

Obviously he had some kind of PS/2. I asked if he still has the case - "no, already dumped" 😠 😠 😠

People seem to have to much money, a simple Ebay research should have revealed that he dumped about 150€ (and a very nice PC is lost..).

Anyway, the Soundblaster alone was worth the money I paid for that lot...

Reply 26273 of 52775, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd want that ps/2 stuff, if shipping from Germany wasn't such a pricey delima.

Looks like it was a model 57, too.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26274 of 52775, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote:
Got an old barn 286-12mhz system yesterday. […]
Show full quote

Got an old barn 286-12mhz system yesterday.

Included:
1.2meg floppy
1.44meg floppy drive
50meg Quantum IDE Hard drive.
Trident 8800cs VGA 8-bit card with VGA and TTL output.
IDE/Floppy ISA card
Serial/Parallel ISA card
AT case and PSU.

The heart of the system is the motherboard below, sporting a 286-12mhz CPU and 4meg of socketed RAM (that is a lot of RAM for just sockets!):

IMG_2730.JPG

This motherboard had a leaking CMOS battery, as per below:

kek34.jpeg

So that had to go and the entire motherboard received a full wash and basic repair. A couple of the tracks looked a little iffy, so I repaired those, (one with a bit of wire, the other I just ran solder over the top as it wasn't as badly damaged).

When I first powered it up, the tantalum capacitor on the 12V line exploded. That was fun. It blew off it's leads and landed in the middle of the board, giving it a little burn. Thankfully, no real damage, and the board powered back on and worked once it had burnt it's shorted capacitor.

The hard drive also works fine, but started with a bit of a grind and whirr, as the old grease in the spindle bearing had settled and need a minute to redistribute.

An excellent and noteworthy adventure I'd say you had there sir! Saved a 286 system a while back, but it only had 1MB of RAM and a MFM drive. There are some great 286 demos from the demoscene if you have a chance to play with it.

Reply 26275 of 52775, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this. Seller’s image. I actually got a cheap YMF724 PCI car last week but I wanted a better one with functional gameport, so I got this. The Cheapo card will likely go into my daily PC for use as a genuine FM Synth in DOSBOX..

3B84CC97-CAC4-4947-AA0B-B2CAAA87BCEC.jpeg
Filename
File size
432.68 KiB
Views
File license

Not even sure what the card exactly is but appears to be a Labwave XWave-6000 YMF744 card? Breakout is a plus for me.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26276 of 52775, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Got this. Seller’s image. I actually got a cheap YMF724 PCI car last week but I wanted a better one with functional gameport, so I got this. The Cheapo card will likely go into my daily PC for use as a genuine FM Synth in DOSBOX..

Not even sure what the card exactly is but appears to be a Labwave XWave-6000 YMF744 card? Breakout is a plus for me.

The logo on the add-on board seems to read "Typhoon". Seems to have been sold in Germany:

https://www.tiger-technik.de/Audio-Soundkarte … 0-s37::977.html

And a thread on here: YMF744+DSDMA+DOS+P965(and other PCIe chipsets)=success

Reply 26277 of 52775, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Well... The benchmarks that I ran on an Intel VC-820 and an Intel SE440BX-2 said that the 440 was a better solution. Yet in real […]
Show full quote
schlang wrote:

Well... The benchmarks that I ran on an Intel VC-820 and an Intel SE440BX-2 said that the 440 was a better solution. Yet in real life usage (gaming), I did not see any real differences. Both stable, and both gave the same user experience. If you run Windows9x only except for a select few Dos games (the usual Doom/Duke3D), you will be just as happy with an 820 chipset compared to an 440bx chipset. Both boards are equally stable as well. If you want more power, then go for something more beefy. Like SocketA, Socket754 or Socket478. Then again. You do not always get ISA on 8xx-series of motherboards. Most likely you will not find it. So if Dos is an extreme strong priority, then go for a 440bx based board. And then again, it might be too fast for the Dos titles that you are using. It is this ISA-Soundcard talking point again. If it is too fast for the Dos game, then go for something even slower, like 430 chipset based Pentium-1 system. And that defeats the whole talk about 440bx being superior and all that.

Personally. I have one Socket478 board (SIS-something based) and one SocketA board (Apollo-266 based) in boxes, and in my main Win98 machine, I am using an Intel d815eea2 motherboard. Shure it is not "the best", yet I have a stable system that are fast enough to be useable for gaming in 800x600 and sometimes 1024x768.

What I am trying to say is that the fastest possible, are not always what you want. 440bx is a strong and well thought out chipset. It is stable and really well running. Yet superior? Depends on what software you want to run.

good summary, thanks. It's just I remember back in the days I had a P2/350 with an asus p2b and my best friend had a P2/400 with the apollo chipset and his games always ran slower than on my rig.

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 26278 of 52775, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

[...]

I think I might have hit the jackpot. Tomorrow afternoon I'm clearing out someone's attic. No idea exactly what I'm getting, but on the typically fuzzy, dark pictures I count at least 14 LPX or AT cases, a couple of boxes with "386SX-25" and "386DX-40" on them, piles of PCBs of every description, more large boxes without label bulging with something, and some CRTs including an absolutely titanic one by the look of it (no, not an FW900, but not that much smaller). I seriously expect my car is going to be the limiting factor.

...and I did and it was 😮

Pics later tonight after I've gotten the little ones to bed, but preliminary count while unloading the car:
- 18 complete systems, one SoA system, the rest 286-486, all AT or LPX, mainly desktops with speed LED. 2 of them IBM PS/2.
- 1 demo system with perspex case, XT components and all drives also fitted with perspex so you can see what they do.
- 1 NOS AT case with speed LED
- 2 external HDDs, one SCSI, the other something else, Xebec-branded so probably ST-506.
- 1 external SCSI tape drive
- 1 very crappy looking 13" VGA monitor
- 1 banana-box full of manuals and software, including sealed MSDOS 5 and MSDOS 6 Upgrade
- 7 old keyboards, all but one mechanical. Two Model Ms (matching the PS/2s)
- 3 Ikea carrier bags (that I wisely took along) full of boards and cards of all descriptions, with a lot of populated 486 motherboards, ISA and VLB VGA and I/O stuff.
- 1 Ikea carrier bag full of very old HDDs.

Just doing inventory of what I have is going to take ages, actually testing/doing anything with it even longer. I'll probably have to find some creative way of offloading most of this in bulk. But first children to bed, first inventory and pics 😜

Reply 26279 of 52775, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, first up the keyboards:
full.png

- BTC-5339R ISO (was discussing foil&foam including this model earlier today - serendipity. And yes, mushy as hell, makes the MYs feel good :'( )
- Cherry G81-3000HAU (MY... although feels much better than the other two for some reason)
- 2x Cherry G81-3000SAU ANSI (MY...)
- Cherry G80-1000HAU (feels like MX Black, but have to check)
- "Bona" ISNJK-268 (feels like Cherry MX Blue 😀 ), NOS, although lot of dust
- IBM Model M 1391401 (matches the PS/2)