VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2681 of 52997, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An online store had a few S370/A coolers, so I grabbed one each. You never know when one comes handy...

rnjcovwl.jpg

Large image: http://i.imgur.com/rnjcovw.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2682 of 52997, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ATI Radeon 9600 All-in-Wonder

ati_radeon_9600_aiw_f.jpg

Matrox Parhelia (AGP 4x) - BOX

matrox_parhelia_512_agp4x_f.jpg
matrox_parhelia_512_agp4x_bf.jpg

3DLabs GLiNT 300SX - I've mentioned about it previously, now high quality photos available:)

3dlabs_glint_300sx_f.jpg

Dynamic Pictures V192

dynamic_pictures_v192_f.jpg
dynamic_pictures_v192_c.jpg

Other cards are:
- Realtek RTG3105
- Realtek RTG3105iEH
- Acumos AVGA1
- S3 Trio64 UV+
- Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446BV-HC-B
- S3 ViRGE/DX (Diamond Stealt 3D 2000 Pro)
- Matrox Millennium II AGP
- S3 Savage 4 LT (Number Nine SR9)
- nVidia GeForce 6600 (Albatron AGP6600Q)

Videocard Virtual Museum

Reply 2683 of 52997, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thegardentool wrote:

I also have a lead on a relatively cheap desktop from the same era that should be usable for the PSU, drives, and other random needs in putting it together that I hope to pickup this weekend.

I did get this desktop for next to nothing a few days ago. It's a Gateway LP Mini UD3 Performance 700 or something along those lines. Despite the name, it's a decent sized mid-tower. Unfortunately two of the parts I were hoping to reuse are not useful for me now that I have it. The PSU has ATX in its model name but unfortunately isn't a standard ATX sized PSU so it won't fit in the case I was planning on using. It looked like it had a removable I/O shield but I found out it's actually just fancy stickers covering up the fact it's stamped out. And while I haven't had the chance to test every single part, the good news is it included a P3 700, 440bx Slot 1 motherboard, 3 hard drives of various sizes (IBM Deskstar 27.3GB or something along those lines, another Deskstar but it's 40GB, and an 80GB WD Caviar. 1 generic CD-ROM, 1 CD-RW, a 3.5" floppy, a Zip drive, a TNT 2 Pro, GeForce4 MX440, 2 Audigy Live! sound cards, a SCSI controller with 1 external and 1 internal header although not RAID capable, a 3COM Ethernet card, and of course the IDE and Floppy cables that I didn't feel like tracking down individually! There was also a modem in it, but alas I cannot even get a POTS line so modems are worthless for me. 🙁 I think with whatever is leftover that I don't end up using on my build, I will slap something back together in the case and maybe pass it along to a friend of mine who might be interested in some older games as well.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 2686 of 52997, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just arrived from the guy in Germany. This particular model is reported to overclock up to 600Mhz @ 2.0v with stock cooling... and it does just that.

amd-k6-III_plus.jpg

My mainboard only goes as low as 2.0v which is no problem for this CPU, it overclocked to 600Mhz without a hitch, CPU temp is only 40c under full load. 😁

40c is darn good temp and in no way shape or form will it cause detrimental effects on the CPU nor shorten it's lifespan. 😁 😎

Last edited by PhaytalError on 2013-10-31, 20:59. Edited 2 times in total.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 2687 of 52997, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a broken Toshiba laptop in the trash a few weeks ago and ordered a power supply to test it. The battery charges, so that's still good, but unfortunately no boot. I think maybe the video chip needs to be resoldered as that seems to be a common ailment with these. I got a new motherboard and an upgraded CPU on ebay today for $60 shipped so I'm going to try putting that in when it gets here. It was originally a Mobile Sempron SI-42 so I ordered a Turion x2 Ultra ZM-85 as an upgrade because I found one cheap. So it's going from a 2.1ghz single core to a 2.3ghz dual core. The video in it is Radeon 3100 but those are underclocked so there's room to boost that a little bit with RivaTuner. I'll get RAM and hard drive upgrades later as that's easy enough to do as the RAM slots are accessible from outside and so is the hard drive bay. It's only upgrading the CPU that is a pain as that requires a lot of disassembly and since I have to replace the motherboard anyway, I can just put the new CPU into the new motherboard before it goes in and shouldn't have to worry about opening it up again for a while.

Reply 2689 of 52997, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

When are we getting a new Artex post to drool on?

Hopefully soon. Been attempting to build my first 486 system but it's been problem after problem. I don't miss the days of jumpers and separate I/O controller cards. Argh.....

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2690 of 52997, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
vetz wrote:

Hopefully soon. Been attempting to build my first 486 system but it's been problem after problem. I don't miss the days of jumpers and separate I/O controller cards. Argh.....

Super Socket 7 😁 You know you want one 😁

I also ordered a few 386 and 486 toys to play with. Hopefully it all works. I went for "combos" that come with RAM, CPU and all of that. Otherwise too many
potential pitfalls.

Great CPU PhaytalError! I wonder how many this seller has. They will run out sooner or later. I think I got two, I always get two if I can, just in case...

My YouTube channel

Reply 2691 of 52997, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Great CPU PhaytalError! I wonder how many this seller has. They will run out sooner or later. I think I got two, I always get two if I can, just in case...

Yeah, I really should get another one when I can, "just in case". 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 2692 of 52997, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Artex wrote:
vetz wrote:

Super Socket 7 😁 You know you want one 😁.

Piecing together my retro box! I have an extra Asus P5A I think I'm gonna use. I can't find that front loading notebook drive bay that you've got though so if you could shoot me an link or let me know the model that would be great. I also have to pick out a case - too bad it's so tough finding beige parts cause it would be cool to have a retro looking box with more modern peripherals (sata, floppy emulation, etc.)

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2693 of 52997, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I had a look but I couldn't find it either...

Here is an alternative: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-2-5-SATA-II-HD … =item2ecb70df59

I got this one as well and it's very well built.

My YouTube channel

Reply 2694 of 52997, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Hmm I had a look but I couldn't find it either...

Here is an alternative: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-2-5-SATA-II-HD … =item2ecb70df59

I got this one as well and it's very well built.

Thanks! Saw that one too but is it tool-less like the one you have?

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2695 of 52997, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you open the door and insert it! No screws.

My YouTube channel

Reply 2696 of 52997, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yes you open the door and insert it! No screws.

Sweet. Thanks! Any more videos on the horizon? I love em!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2697 of 52997, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 2 or so weeks I will have some time at my hands.

Getting some 386 and 486 gear so I definitely want to do some videos.

Any suggestions?

My YouTube channel

Reply 2698 of 52997, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Canopus Pure 3D

Found it on eBay. This is a 6MB version of a 3dfx Voodoo card. Most vendors used the standard 4MB. It came with the manual, driver CD, and the 9 pin VGA pass through cable. Also found the decal sitting in one of the pages of the manual!

Attachments

• 20131031_125813-x480.jpg
    Filename
    20131031_125813-x480.jpg
    File size
    259.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Canopus Pure 3D
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception