Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't tell me that 😳

I suppose that's a possibility. I've bought off this seller before though, without issues... supposedly it was from a computer store that's closing down.

Reapplying the shrinkwrap would be trivial for anyone who had the right equipment, some retailers do it for returned items...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 281 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

Yeah if I do decide to open it I'll take some pics and post em up 😀

I'm really in 2 minds about it though 😒

I bought a shrink-wrapped boxed AWE64 on ebay. I opened it, and it was full of junk. Someone had just resealed it, having first removed the goods. I wonder if you could open the box, check its contents including a quick hardware test, and find a way to reseal it. I wonder if "box resealing kits" exist, on ebay perhaps?

Wtf?...what was in them?? Some junk old cd's and a GF8800GTX or something?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 283 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm. What I might do, is book a flight somewhere and take the sound blaster in carry on luggage. That way I can watch on the x ray screen and see if there really is a card in there without opening it 😀

Reply 284 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Hmmm. What I might do, is book a flight somewhere and take the sound blaster in carry on luggage. That way I can watch on the x ray screen and see if there really is a card in there without opening it 😀

Or maybe you could weigh it? Only thing you'd need to know is how much it's supposed to weigh. 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 286 of 52973, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always wondered what are the chances of someone buying a Sound Blaster back in the day and never ever opening it for 10+ years?

I seriously believe they just shrink wrap these boxes in order to make them appear as new. So yea I would open it, take a look at the ISA connector and the other bits and see what's going on.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 287 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always wondered what are the chances of someone buying a Sound Blaster back in the day and never ever opening it for 10+ years?

Well supposedly its just old stock that was never sold. If you have a look at their completed listings it seems plausible.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/Computers-/ … .c0.m283&_rdc=1

Reply 288 of 52973, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well there is only one way to find out 😜

You can reseal it later if you want 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 289 of 52973, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow, I guess I was real lucky then because my SB16 SCSI (CT1779) is the real deal... bought 10 years ago for $36.40 off ebay (and I thought that was expensive after a bid war then!) and it really was original sealed... the "register today for free HSC Interactive" neon green sticker is still there... I carefully cut only the top of the shrink wrap so that the rest stayed intact... tested/inspected everything inside... all good 😁

card still unused and will be... it's a rare 1995 version (when the SB16 SCSI was largely forgotten by then and still sold for $180 at best buy)

for many 93-95 creative cards, they typically had stickers applied over the shrink wrap to promote some free software included... so it's a good idea to pay attention to those 😉

Reply 290 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this one dates from 90/91, only stickers on the outside of the shrink wrap were "$28" and "Sale Price $25" and they both flaked off easily, like they had been on there for a while and the adhesive had given up....

I might see if I can get a video camera and record the 'unboxing' 😀

hopefully it won't be full of jelly beans or something... actually that wouldn't be so bad, at least I could eat them 😀

Reply 292 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Where would I find tout how much its supposed to weigh?

Ask someone who has it, theres surely someone here who has one...riiight? 😊

Report spammers here!

Reply 294 of 52973, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this the other day:

A Radeon 7000. Haven't tested it yet, but apparently it outputs VGA and S-Video simultaneously...

img0132am.jpg

Reply 295 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

Picked up a Diamond Viper II Z200, I had a S3 Savage 2000 driven card missing from my collection. 😁

Nice!

I'm not sure I have a Viper 2 in my collection yet. They are kinda the failed GF1 counters, so to say.

Report spammers here!

Reply 296 of 52973, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a DTK PEM-0030YS mainboard today, with soldered AMD 386DX-40, 4 x 1MB 30-pin SIMMs and 128KB cache:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DT … EM-0030Y-S.html
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/rec … hu/IMG_0055.jpg

The BIOS is still holding the correct date and time and there is a BIOS preset for an 1.2GB HDD type - I can't wait to build a system around it... however, there are questions 😀:

- the cache is upgradeable to 256KB, and I have plenty of spare chips for that; will there be any difference (even theoretical) in performance?
- the current cache is 20ns (with 15ns tag); will switching to 15ns chips make any difference?
- would a 387 help DOS games, or just math or CAD apps?
- why is the latest memtest86+ resetting in an endless loop when booted on this board? 😁

Reply 298 of 52973, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. I didn't notice any difference in games going from 128KB to 256KB in my 386DX40 - check out my thread in system specs. Speedsys graphs looked nicer but thats it, no difference in 3dbench, *very* minor difference in sysinfo, tenths of a point.
2. as said, will allow you to overclock it further, and if you can't set minimum cache timings/wait states with the 20ns chips you might have better luck with the 15ns chips. Setting lower cache wait states gave me more of a boost than doubling the cache.
3. Falcon 3.0 is about the only thing I know of from that era that will use it, apart from CAD etc. You could try and run quake on it I guess but it won't be very enjoyable 😀 I've got one in my 386 and the ONLY time it ever did anything was when I ran intel's chkcop22 utility to test it.
4. as said, reseat your RAM and cache, also get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on your SIMMs. If that doesn't work try swapping the order of your SIMMs. Does memtest reboot instantly as soon as you try to load it, or is it doing it after running a few tests? Also try the nonplus version of memtest as well.

Reply 299 of 52973, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It reboots instantly as memtest86+ is trying to start testing (after "Loading...", immediately before the blue screen), no exception.

I'll re-seat the RAM and cache anyway (as I'm going to replace/upgrade them), and I'll also try an older version of memtest... all of these later today, after a new episode in the quest for old stuff 😁.

[edit] Two annoying things that I found about this board is that you cannot enter BIOS setup if everything's right (I mean if memory capacity hasn't changed or a drive is missing - in those cases user input is required), and that you cannot manually enter HDD parameters (C/H/S), so that I'll have to find a drive of one of the 49 preset types (the weird one is type 15, with 0s everywhere).