Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28140 of 52886, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skanque wrote:
Here is some of my pickups. I recently got into this hobby and have acquired some nice cards in boxes. Most of them are complete […]
Show full quote

Here is some of my pickups.
I recently got into this hobby and have acquired some nice cards in boxes. Most of them are complete, but some are missing stuff. Like the V8200 is missing the manual.

[...]

Next goals would be Geforce 256 in box and Geforce 2 in box from ASUS. I have them loose but I really appreciate looking at the boxes.
Have a nice day

(repost, posted in the wrong tread earlier)

Fuck2.gif 😁

asus.jpg
Filename
asus.jpg
File size
739.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28141 of 52886, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's retro computing delivery came in. Saw these two Upgradeware Slot T slotkets, which are capable of running Tualatins on boards that can supply the right voltage, on the Dutch Marktplaats website. My Rev 1.10 ASUS P2B does, and I still am wanting a dual Slot 1 board that can run Tualatins to go with my two Pentium III-S 1.4GHz CPUs. I was planning on modifying some brand new MSI Master slotkets for that, but this would be easier and would save those MSIs from being potentially ruined 🤣
After a few bids, the seller accepted mine of €22 + shipping, but then asked if I was interested in more retro computer stuff. I replied that mid to late 90s, and early to mid 2000s hardware is my kind of thing, and they showed me a picture of some very nice CPUs as a reply. Asked if they had a price in mind, they asked €30 for the lot, which was already pretty damn good deal, but I still haggled it down to €25 😎

Image removed for copyright reasons.

The CPUs did have a bunch of bent pins, and the Pentium 120MHz is missing two, but after some bending and... persuasion... to get into my Super Socket 7 board, I managed to verify that the Pentium 120MHz, 100MHz, 166MMX and K6-2 300MHz were working fine. I will have to test the Sempron 2300 later, and get a board for that Pentium Pro 200MHz/512KB chip 😊

Image removed for copyright reasons.

Last edited by Daniël Oosterhuis on 2020-01-06, 12:13. Edited 1 time in total.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 28142 of 52886, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I received an old Optimus PC. It ought to be 486, but someone has replaced the motherboard and here it is: The Socket 7 with Pentium 75 😁

I got this for an equivalent of 5 $ (31 $ incl shipping...).

VhrXKki.jpg
lEl7QHI.jpg
hlCey60.jpg
krmHc0T.jpg
tKVKoZq.jpg
iSbXP8G.jpg
V74k7GX.jpg

The case is yellowed, but that's not a problem since I have perhydrol and sun 😀 The more important thing is that the case is in the asbolutely perfect shape as for its age! I'm planing to sand the metal case and paint it white.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 28144 of 52886, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skanque wrote:

Here is some of my pickups.
I recently got into this hobby and have acquired some nice cards in boxes. Most of them are complete, but some are missing stuff. Like the V8200 is missing the manual.

You may be new, but this is a pro collection 😳

I almost never find such cards in original packagings. Let me know if you want to sell 😊

Reply 28145 of 52886, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:
Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section. […]
Show full quote

Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section.

Digital VaxStation II/GPX
Dual 5.25 floppy drives
310 MB MFM HDD

HP 9000/300 series Mainframe system
Motorola 69030
HP 7937 Hard Disk Drive: 571 Mb, 8 inch platters, HPIB interface

IBM 5085 Graphics Processor
From what I've been able to find, this is a terminal of sorts that connects with a system 3/70, or a PC/RT and some accessories to make up the IBM 5080 Graphics System.

IBM 3191 Terminal Monitor

I can see why they were free: they cost real estate 🤣 Nice finds though!

Reply 28146 of 52886, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

Thanks for this post!

I now finally know what this CPU board is for... many many moons after finding.

I can now sleep better tonight! 😁

Attachments

• 386 CPU Board.jpg
    Filename
    386 CPU Board.jpg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 28147 of 52886, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:
Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section. […]
Show full quote

Not necessarily 'bought', but I got this off the craigslist 'free stuff' section.

Dual 5.25 floppy drives
310 MB MFM HDD
2ffOoy9h.jpg

Wow... now that is a computer!

Getting more and more into these 'Digital' systems.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 28148 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just purchased a Precision M4400 (well the seller accepted my offer, I can't pay him until tomorrow night when my check clears. I didn't expect a response in literally 5 seconds) for $105 USD.

* Intel Core2 Extreme X9100 @ 3.1GHZ
* 4GB RAM
* Quadro FX770M w/ UXGA Display
* Blu-Ray disc drive.

Basically top specced for the model.
Sold "as is, only tested with dell preboot utility" BUT the seller has many laptops listed and they ALL say that so I don't find it suspicious. I don't think these were as bad as XPS line with GPU failure anyways and FX770M is the cooler of the two video options offered.

Should make a nice daily driver laptop. My EliteBook is falling apart.

Does anybody know if the M4400 is one of the models super picky about what AC adapters it will play nicely with? It looked like the seller was testing it with a 180w, and its the same connector as my XPS Gen 1's 160W adapter.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 28149 of 52886, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:
dkarguth wrote:
Show full quote

Dual 5.25 floppy drives
310 MB MFM HDD
2ffOoy9h.jpg

Wow... now that is a computer!

Getting more and more into these 'Digital' systems.

Remember to remove all metal objects before approaching the powered on VAX. Also, your power bill may approach the GDP of small countries.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 28150 of 52886, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome finds there.. considering the other stuff in that haul...

dkarguth wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/GWYX1ob.jpg […]
Show full quote

GWYX1ob.jpg

... If that Beige SGI keyboard doesn't have a PS2 connector, it means it may have come from an IRIS system! I wonder if thats there?

SGI O2's came with granite keyboards, not beige iirc.

Reply 28151 of 52886, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Remember to remove all metal objects before approaching the powered on VAX. Also, your power bill may approach the GDP of small countries.

🤣, it is pretty massive. I won't be using it much until I can find a MFM drive emulator since the drives aren't known for being the most reliable drives on the planet.

spiroyster wrote:

... If that Beige SGI keyboard doesn't have a PS2 connector, it means it may have come from an IRIS system! I wonder if thats there?

That SGI is a PS/2 keyboard. It's kinda confusing to see among the 2 DEC keyboards with their RJ-11 connectors. I haven't tested the SGI O2 yet. I'm debating on selling it vs keeping it, as they are really cool, but they also go for quite a sum on ebay if it works.

They originally had a PC RT listed in the lot of free stuff, but someone else got to it before I did. Hilariously, it showed up on ebay the next day, and It's now mine 🤣
I wanted that one specifically because it had a special interface card that plugged into the IBM 5085 Graphics Processor in order to produce high resolution color graphics. I am going to try to put a system together for that as well.

On a side note, here's the 517 Megabyte hard disk from the HP 9000/300 system. It weighs 150 pounds, and uses 8 inch platters. 8 freaking inch platters. It sounds like a passenger jetliner and dims the house power when powered on. They are known for being extremely reliable, and it most likely works.
Foot for scale
1rpjiNCl.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 28152 of 52886, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm familiar with how big they are. When I was at University, one of the labs still had an old micro that originally had a CDC drive in a similar form factor.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 28153 of 52886, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

I won't be using it much until I can find a MFM drive emulator since the drives aren't known for being the most reliable drives on the planet.

Did you take a look which drives were built in there?
I'd rather bet that there were enterprise grade CDC drives and not these abysmal Seagate drives that made MFM so feared of bad reliability.

dkarguth wrote:

I wanted that one specifically because it had a special interface card that plugged into the IBM 5085 Graphics Processor in order to produce high resolution color graphics. I am going to try to put a system together for that as well.

When I saw the IBM 5080 introduction on the CeBit in the 1980s, it was just amazing.
Hope you'll find the monitor as well...

dkarguth wrote:

On a side note, here's the 517 Megabyte hard disk from the HP 9000/300 system. It weighs 150 pounds, and uses 8 inch platters. 8 freaking inch platters. It sounds like a passenger jetliner and dims the house power when powered on. They are known for being extremely reliable, and it most likely works.

Real disks must be loud 😁
Flashy Sedgways with 5+1 harley sound emulation are no match 😀

Reply 28154 of 52886, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bige4u wrote:

Just purchased this nifty doodaad on ebay, and its on the way..... gimmicky or does it perform correctly, and with what games?

I own the same card and glasses. 😀 I just found the glasses a few days ago. I'm not sure if I've ever used them, but am curious!

Reply 28155 of 52886, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bought a Xircom RealPort CardBus Modem and Ethernet 10/100 card (never been opened) today.

I used to have a couple of these back in the day. I regret selling them. 🙁

Reply 28156 of 52886, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retardware wrote:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZzAAAOSwvcBccneu/s-l1600.jpg […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

ISA 16650 serial card, which can use high interrupts (to get smooth mouse movement)

I have been sorely tempted to purchase one of these. The company that sells them still produces them, which is pretty awesome all on its own. 😀

Reply 28157 of 52886, by iPonRMA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

Todays haul…
All but the first Octek Fox M works fine (even HDDs). But this motherboard is not beyond repair - boots but reports CMOS error...

And that EISA like S3 VGA works in that OPTi Local bus motherboard? So it is an OPTi Local Bus card? Can you please upload a bigger photo of this card?

Reply 28158 of 52886, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

That SGI is a PS/2 keyboard. It's kinda confusing to see among the 2 DEC keyboards with their RJ-11 connectors. I haven't tested the SGI O2 yet. I'm debating on selling it vs keeping it, as they are really cool, but they also go for quite a sum on ebay if it works.

They are good machines to get into Irix as they are far less effort to work on and have pretty modular parts including a VGA, so you don't need to mess around with SoG 13w3 etc. The R10K's would fetch a price but I don't think the R5K's would unless it is a R5K/300. If there are two removable HD caddy in the back (as well as the AV card) then its an R5K, if there isn't, it's an R10K. Quite fond of these little machines, it was the first SGI I worked on for a job, they let me keep it when it was decomissioned, and then it was under my desk as a foot rest for years until I sold it last year. I didn't get much for it though.

Also I will add, those things were in excess of $10K back in 1996! For a base model 😲

Last edited by spiroyster on 2019-04-12, 21:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28159 of 52886, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(looks at my craigslist "free" section)

Dirt. More dirt. Shelves. Part of a couch. Dishwasher (nice!). Cat (tempting). More dirt. Cooking magazines.

No Vaxen, SGI or PDPs. 🙁

*Too* *many* *things*!