Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28920 of 52886, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vegge wrote:

And open sesame 😁

I genuinely laughed out loud, what a marvellous troll... Perhaps Beckman just made cases for people looking to replace the spongy keyboard on their original units?

Reply 28922 of 52886, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And my delivery today...again scrap lot. Best part:

Not enough ISA-Slots...this one has..1..2..3....10!!!
Not enough RAM for your 386...this one has...1...2..3...16 SIMM Sockets!
Is it running..? YES!
Was this a good "scrap"-Lot? Yes!

Unfortunately this monster doesnt fit in a standard case.
Anybody knows what this is?

Labeled:
35-2485-12
702430d
H8010-30

386-702430d.jpg
Filename
386-702430d.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
386-702430d-2.jpg
Filename
386-702430d-2.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 28923 of 52886, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
And my delivery today...again scrap lot. Best part: […]
Show full quote

And my delivery today...again scrap lot. Best part:

Is it running..? YES!
Was this a good "scrap"-Lot? Yes!

Unfortunately this monster doesnt fit in a standard case.
Anybody knows what this is?

Labeled:
35-2485-12
702430d
H8010-30

The attachment 386-702430d.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 386-702430d-2.jpg is no longer available

Going off the number of slots I'd say Zenith Data Systems Z-386. I found the carcass of one in a junk pile 15 years ago and I quite firmly recall it had 10 slots and an AT Jack in the back, one of the reason I did not pick it up (already had too many projects at that time with missing proprietary parts). Here's a picture, can't find one of the backplane anywhere though.

vdpiyt.jpg
Filename
vdpiyt.jpg
File size
47.02 KiB
Views
File license

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 28924 of 52886, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nprod wrote:
Vegge wrote:

And open sesame 😁

I genuinely laughed out loud, what a marvellous troll... Perhaps Beckman just made cases for people looking to replace the spongy keyboard on their original units?

Er yes, there was a whole industry around that because the original ones were *so* bad. This one is interesting because you apparently don't even unscrew the top part of the case, but there were lots out there, including the highly regarded Saga Emperor series where you kept the bottom part of the case and just screwed that - with motherboard and all - into the new case.

I had an LO-Profile case that was more advanced in that you transplanted the motherboard without keeping any of the original case. Sounds good, but gave no end of problems with peripherals like the Interface 1 that were supposed to fit snugly under the (original) case.

But it's a long time since I had any Speccy stuff. I sort of keep an eye open for a 128k 'toast rack', but don't want it enough to pay the very high going rates for it - not many were made and most agree it's the best looking and most functional of the Spectrums, so it's highly sought-after.

What I did receive today:
full.jpg

The original clickety-clack Orchid Voodoo 1. A very late example (1998...) of the very first Voodoo 1 retail design.

Reply 28925 of 52886, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote:

Going off the number of slots I'd say Zenith Data Systems Z-386. I found the carcass of one in a junk pile 15 years ago and I quite firmly recall it had 10 slots and an AT Jack in the back, one of the reason I did not pick it up (already had too many projects at that time with missing proprietary parts). Here's a picture, can't find one of the backplane anywhere though.

vdpiyt.jpg

Thanks! I have found a picture of the inside:
https://hiveminer.com/Tags/crrc,z386

This board seems to be different, but the case layout is prepared for 10 ISA slots. So maybe its indeed a Zenith. I noticed there is another label on the ROM "VT386VT".

Reply 28926 of 52886, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Not enough ISA-Slots...this one has..1..2..3....10!!! Not enough RAM for your 386...this one has...1...2..3...16 SIMM Sockets! h […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=63998&t=1

Absolutely fabulous!
And its not even the full version 😮! Look at all the unpopulated stuff in the corner, seems its missing optional I/O at J11/12/13 and 32 capacitor/inductor pairs, another battery/clock/decoder logic and some controller chip. Fascinating, would love to know what was its intended application.
Is it running that 386 at 33 or 25MHz (clock chip is 50)?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 28927 of 52886, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that 386 board is an absolute unit.

kinda late though, date codes are early 1991. So the last of the 386 era.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 28928 of 52886, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crucial 9800 Pro & HIS 9800 SE AIW (not sure the added ram sinks were totally necessary in either case, so may remove)

ati9800a.jpg
Filename
ati9800a.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
ati9800b.jpg
Filename
ati9800b.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 28929 of 52886, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

News in collection, not tested, got them for a notebook display. I got some socket 754 Semprons too.

update: Geforce is OK, the Sapphire shows only artifacts in 3 motherboards tested, DVI and VGA too 😒
From Sempron CPUs only one is working

Attachments

• P6020283.JPG
    Filename
    P6020283.JPG
    File size
    784.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P6020281.JPG
    Filename
    P6020281.JPG
    File size
    785.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P6020280.JPG
    Filename
    P6020280.JPG
    File size
    688.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P6020279.JPG
    Filename
    P6020279.JPG
    File size
    842.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by respect2759 on 2019-06-02, 10:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28930 of 52886, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote:
Absolutely fabulous! And its not even the full version :o! Look at all the unpopulated stuff in the corner, seems its missing op […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Not enough ISA-Slots...this one has..1..2..3....10!!! Not enough RAM for your 386...this one has...1...2..3...16 SIMM Sockets! h […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=63998&t=1

Absolutely fabulous!
And its not even the full version 😮! Look at all the unpopulated stuff in the corner, seems its missing optional I/O at J11/12/13 and 32 capacitor/inductor pairs, another battery/clock/decoder logic and some controller chip. Fascinating, would love to know what was its intended application.
Is it running that 386 at 33 or 25MHz (clock chip is 50)?

I think its hardwired to 25 MHz (crystal 50 MHz). I got it without CPU, so the 33 MHz one was added by me. Therefore I dont think its a very late board. But it seems to be really fast for a 25 MHz.

Do you know what kind of FPU I can add? Think a 387 doesnt fit?

DSC_8619.JPG
Filename
DSC_8619.JPG
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 28931 of 52886, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got offered $5 off a XT-IDE from a local outfit so ordered one. Now my XT Turbo with EGA will be rocking. Just need to find a suitable NIC.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 28932 of 52886, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Crucial 9800 Pro & HIS 9800 SE AIW (not sure the added ram sinks were totally necessary in either case, so may remove)

Leave the memory heatsinks on... i've read quite a few horror stories from 9800pro cards failing because the memory running hot, or maybe it was from OCing them w/o proper cooling, cant hurt to leave them on for longevity purposes if you are going to be using it on a daily basis.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 28933 of 52886, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an Amigan, I had never ever messed with Ataris, always thought of them as inferior (well, except for MIDI stuff). Recently I got my first Atari 520ST from eBay. The bundle looked right - it included a mouse, a red joystick, ten floppies (games), a power cable and a big fat SCART cable. Only it appeared to be in French; I saw an AZERTY keyboard so it most likely had a French TOS. As soon as I won the auction, I ordered a VGA cable for the monochrome hi-res, and the next day bid on a big red Steinberg SMP II SMPTE-MIDI interface for it 😈 (The last was an impulse bid as a couple of months ago I passed on a MIDEX and regretted it badly, even without owning an ST back then - that's how much of a hoarder I am...)

smp2.jpg
Filename
smp2.jpg
File size
81.63 KiB
Views
File license

As mentioned above, I was clueless about everything ST. Days were passing by and with more rational thinking before even receiving it, I researched a bit to see the various possibilities, only to get more and more depressed: the ST can't take more RAM easily, Cubase doesn't run with the stock 512kb, lack of blitter etc etc. On second thought, maybe I should have waited to get something better, and certainly not in French...
...but looking closely to the auction images, what I won appeared more like an STe...!

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
259.86 KiB
Views
File license

Long story short, it indeed turned out to be a 520STe with blitter, which had at some point been upgraded to 1mb! (It's also indeed in French, but that's minor 🤣). Today I opened it up to upgrade the RAM with standard 4x1MB 30pin 70ns SIMMs, wrote Cubase 2.01 to a floppy so as to verify that the SMP II works and played some Lemmings on the TV with the SCART cable! It's like entering a new world...

Pics are from the auctions... Hopefully will take some myself as soon as I find more time. It's been sitting in my room for, like, two weeks and only today I managed to fool around with it 😢 Next plans are to fit in a CF-IDE adapter (I also bought an IDE interface for later), might consider a picopsu or something like that too, but the ultimate target is to make an ultra-barebone setup with a keyboard and two modules at most, and try to come up with a small track on it. Time will tell...

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 28934 of 52886, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Leave the memory heatsinks on... i've read quite a few horror stories from 9800pro cards failing because the memory running hot, or maybe it was from OCing them w/o proper cooling, cant hurt to leave them on for longevity purposes if you are going to be using it on a daily basis.

Can confirm, 9800s run hotter than hell itself.

In other news, the search for a reasonably priced GeForce DDR and Radeon DDR 64MB continues. I already have 256 SDR, and a S3 Savage2000. I want to complete the set of inital DX7 TnL hardware.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 28935 of 52886, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@psychz if you want to upgrade TOS or just have it in another tongue, you can simply flash new TOS chips ^^

However how are you going to put an IDE drive in it ? There are Atari to IDE adapters now ? (I haven't checked the "st news" for a while)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28936 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just received a used boxed but complete MediaVision ThunderBoard 😀

YrKx7Itl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28937 of 52886, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
just received a used boxed but complete MediaVision ThunderBoard :) […]
Show full quote

just received a used boxed but complete MediaVision ThunderBoard 😀

YrKx7Itl.png

That was my first ever sound card that I fitted to my old 286/16. Still have it too. The only thing I kept of that system.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 28938 of 52886, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

@psychz if you want to upgrade TOS or just have it in another tongue, you can simply flash new TOS chips ^^

However how are you going to put an IDE drive in it ? There are Atari to IDE adapters now ? (I haven't checked the "st news" for a while)

Yeah I'll have to check if they're socketed and go the UK TOS 2.06 route someday I guess... If they're not, I'd rather not touch them for now 😊
The ST IDE adapter is like a CPU bypass thingie, it's a pcb with an IDE header and a socket in which you place the 68k, and sits in the motherboard's CPU socket... Didn't have the time to check it out yet though, it's still shrinkwrapped 🤣

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 28939 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

That was my first ever sound card that I fitted to my old 286/16. Still have it too. The only thing I kept of that system.

according to the registration card that is filled but never sent out, the previous owner installed it in a XT system for games 🤣
it's a good card , does what it says 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website