Topic actions

Reply 30480 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:
derSammler wrote:

just one question though, if I try to use 2 ISA sound cards (this one is set to 220, IRQ 5) it locks up at post. The other card is an Aztech from a Packard Bell. That card is PnP and has no jumpers on the board.

Go into the PnP configuration in the BIOS and make sure the ressources used by the Sound Blaster are reserved so that they are not assigned to PnP cards. The PnP BIOS does not know about ressources used by legacy cards. You have to tell it.

The Dell BIOS has no options for PnP resources or setting any kind of IRQ resources manually.

ISA PnP was always more 'pray' than 'play', and this is a bad case. However if BIOS is ignoring your SB and the AZT2320 card is conflicting, work around it: set the SB to A240 I7 D3 or similar. Make sure you disable COM2 and LPT1 to avoid conflicts there.

With a bit of luck you can also configure some of the PnP stuff with Aztech's PnP tool, but it BIOS really doesn't play ball you're stuck there.

Reply 30481 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What model Dell? Is there a PnP OS "yes/no" option?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30483 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Optiplex GXM5133, no PnP BIOS option

What BIOS version does it have? The latest from Dell is A20.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/pr … lex-gxm/drivers

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30484 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Awfully late model machine to be putting an 8-bit ISA sound card into...

Why not remove the Aztec card while you're using the Creative?

Reply 30485 of 52813, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For $25.00 and a bit of a drive, I got: an HP Pavilion 7050 https://books.google.com/books?id=yurvRCerf_U … %207050&f=false
A Compaq suitcase computer, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YO-BCqPqs4
An early 2000s ATX case, a mid 2000s ATX case with a working Socket 939 motherboard 4 gigs of DDR and a so far unknown CPU, a box full of DDR & DDR2 DIMMS, a Soundblaster 16 ISA card (CT2840), a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L with a Q8200 and 6 gigs of DDR2, a Zotac GTS250 with a gig of RAM, and a Matrox 844-00 PCI video card.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 30486 of 52813, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oo, nice Compaq Portable. The Q8200 sounds decent too.

What's the Matrox like? Had a chance to do anything with that yet?

Reply 30488 of 52813, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:

ELSA Gladiac 511 PCI for my SuperSocket7 build.

SS7 without AGP? 😳

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30489 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

SS7 without AGP? 😳

Not really that easy to find an AGP SS7 board.. I'm in the same boat as him, running a Vodoo2 SLI but desperately want a Voodoo Banshee PCI or a Voodoo 3 PCI..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30490 of 52813, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My AMD K6-2+ came in the mail today. I've been looking for a PLUS version of the K6-2 or K6-III for ages, but they seem to have become exceedingly rare, especially at a non-insane price point.

I'm based in the UK and have had a saved search on eBay for the past 6 months or so. Only one suitable item came up, which I bought for around £20 from a seller in Greece. Sadly, it was dead.

Then I discovered that the US version of eBay had a few more CPUs listed, and there I found the one arrived today from a Chinese seller. Paid £17, which all things considered, I'm quite happy with.

WZrGASp.jpg

Reply 30491 of 52813, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pcrob wrote:

My AMD K6-2+ came in the mail today. I've been looking for a PLUS version of the K6-2 or K6-III for ages, but they seem to have become exceedingly rare, especially at a non-insane price point.

I'm based in the UK and have had a saved search on eBay for the past 6 months or so. Only one suitable item came up, which I bought for around £20 from a seller in Greece. Sadly, it was dead.

Then I discovered that the US version of eBay had a few more CPUs listed, and there I found the one arrived today from a Chinese seller. Paid £17, which all things considered, I'm quite happy with.

I did a quick search on ebay.com myself and found the same model for USD 14.95 + USD 7.00 for worldwide shipping and just couldn't resist 😁
Did you buy from seller "ic-china"? If yes, how long did it take for the CPU to arrive in the UK? Have you already verified that it's genuine?

My retro computers

Reply 30492 of 52813, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

SS7 without AGP? 😳

My board actually has an AGP slot, but I’ve read a lot about problems with ALi Aladdin V and early Nvidia GPUs, that’s why I decided to go with the PCI version of GeForce 2 MX400.

From what I’ve seen, it should be faster than Voodoo3 AGP anyway.

Reply 30493 of 52813, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gex85 wrote:

I did a quick search on ebay.com myself and found the same model for USD 14.95 + USD 7.00 for worldwide shipping and just couldn't resist 😁
Did you buy from seller "ic-china"? If yes, how long did it take for the CPU to arrive in the UK? Have you already verified that it's genuine?

Yep, that's the same seller. Delivery was really quick (took only 9 days!) with excellent tracking information (even got an "out for delivery" update).

I'll be checking if it works a little later today and report back here.

Reply 30494 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gex85 wrote:

Either the seller ran out or I'm dumb and can't find it..

Reply 30495 of 52813, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
gex85 wrote:

Either the seller ran out or I'm dumb and can't find it..

Probably the former... before I bought it said "only 1 left in stock". So sorry about that... maybe check the sellers other listings for similar CPUs? Or message him whether he has more in stock and just not put them up on eBay yet?

@pcrob: Sounds good, thank you!

My retro computers

Reply 30496 of 52813, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Awfully late model machine to be putting an 8-bit ISA sound card into...

Why not remove the Aztec card while you're using the Creative?

That's what I'm doing atm... and yes it has the latest BIOS already.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30497 of 52813, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pcrob wrote:

Yep, that's the same seller. Delivery was really quick (took only 9 days!) with excellent tracking information (even got an "out for delivery" update).

So I can confirm the CPU works perfectly!

Reply 30498 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pcrob wrote:
pcrob wrote:

So I can confirm the CPU works perfectly!

Nice.. Now I need to decide whether I actually 'need' a -2+ or whether I would rather migrate to an MVP4 board with my -2 instead..

Reply 30499 of 52813, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never seen one of these before.
Boots up into PC-DOS. Complains that the controller cards aren't connected to anything (I'm assuming some piece of factory machinery).

Pentium 166MHz, 2x IDE hard drives. Moves A LOT of air when running. Chassis is mostly aluminum.

Attachments

• ibm_industrial_badge.jpg
    Filename
    ibm_industrial_badge.jpg
    File size
    778.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Industrial badge.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ibm_industrial_pc.jpg