Topic actions

Reply 30900 of 52991, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

It is what it is. Define good.

Like TNT2 M64s, they have their purpose.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30901 of 52991, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are good to put in machines when you sell them so you can keep the good cards.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 30902 of 52991, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

Those are good to put in machines when you sell them so you can keep the good cards.

You're thinking of the SIS 6326.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30903 of 52991, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/hTxEMSQl.jpg […]
Show full quote

hTxEMSQl.jpg

Dell OEM NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 128MB AGP video card... for that Pentium 4 Comapq Evo.

Hey, I have a ton of these! Are they any good?

by the looks of that card, is clearly a 64 bit version since the top row of ram chips are missing, the 128 bit variant has all ram chips populated

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 30904 of 52991, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's okay if you're doing non-DOS 9x gaming... Project64 runs fine on it. IIRC GTA VC would run okay too

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30905 of 52991, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A pile of laptops:

• Toshiba laptop from Vista era
  • HP laptop with nvidia GPU from Vista era
  • Packard Bell laptop from Vista era - destroyed in shipping, there's a hole through the motherboard and the LCD glass. Which is fine, these three are just going in the recycling. This laptop still had a working IDE DVD drive though, that went in:
  • Toshiba 4010CDT - line on screen, bad floppy drive, bad CD drive. Nice though
  • Toshiba 2180CDT - smashed screen. That's fine, I had a spare handy. I kinda like this one.
  • Dell Latitude XPi CD P150ST - Fully working, but floppy drive is entirely rusted. It has a hardware wavetable and effectively subwoofers? Probably the best sound I've heard from a laptop of this era. This had a working install with the VBS/LoveLetter.DL virus all over it. Much better after the reformat & reinstall.
  • IBM Thinkpad T43 - I wonder if it's got the GPU problem? I haven't even powered it up yet

Caddies, hard drives and batteries still present 😁 They were all just stuffed in a cardboard box with no padding, somehow the ones I cared about got here intact with the useless laptops taking the damage.

laptopstack2.jpg
Filename
laptopstack2.jpg
File size
251.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I had no idea of what this was before it got here, it has probably the most long name I've come across for a laptop yet:

DellXPICDP150ST.jpg
Filename
DellXPICDP150ST.jpg
File size
136.06 KiB
Views
File license

This puts me up to 3 hardware wavetable having laptops now - I need to pare down my collection a bit now.

This is after attempting to clean the floppy drive - that was a pointless effort:

DellXPICDP150ST-floppy.jpg
Filename
DellXPICDP150ST-floppy.jpg
File size
597.82 KiB
Views
File license

Hopefully I can get a replacement or use parts of this to make a replacement fit this laptop, which has one of the weirdest floppy drive mechanisms I've come across.

Reply 30906 of 52991, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those Latitude XPi CD computers are fantastic, some of my favorite 9x laptops out there. If only their display scaling wasn't so terrible.

They have a nice keyboard and I personally love the trackball. If you can, max out the RAM! I believe it will go to 48MB, which makes it pretty good for some early 9x stuff.

Reply 30907 of 52991, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

never had one of those Dell laptops with the trackballs... how's the trackball compared to a similar era touchpad or pointing stick?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 30908 of 52991, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

never had one of those Dell laptops with the trackballs... how's the trackball compared to a similar era touchpad or pointing stick?

Personally I really hate those pointing sticks. I haven't found a single one I like.

The trackball is incredibly smooth - It's optical and works on a laser, instead of mechanical wheels. It's pretty good, a bit better with the common touchpads and miles better than most trackballs on similar machines (I.E. PowerBooks etc)

Reply 30909 of 52991, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wtf...was quite sure to win this with my maximum bid...crazy
https://www.ebay.de/itm/730-gramm-CPUs-Gold-k … utorefresh=true

At least I hope that it was not a gold recycler who pays such price...

Reply 30910 of 52991, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The days are getting shorter, it's getting dark sooner and people are starting to clean out their attics again. Got myself two little hauls today, both displayed here:
full.jpg

Huge pile of crap, with some highlights:
- Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB (CL-GD5428, 1MB but nice solder pads for second MB I intend to try out 😉 )
- Plextor PX-760A PATA DVD-RW
- Creative SB16 CT1740
- a nice Mitsumi 5.25" FDD
- a useful SATA hotswap bay

I was also eyeing the So775 motherboards for a possible upgrade for my youngest son's Athlon64 X2. The good news it that a C2D E8500 would indeed be a significant improvement. Bad news is that the C2D capable boards are BTX, not ATX, and full of bad caps. Also the more high-end GPUs are dead, at least the R9700 and 7600GS. Still need to test the PCIe stuff though.

Interesting bit is some Apple stuff (G4 AGP+ADC cards, IxMicro card with rebranded Number9 VGA core, G3 personality card, Ethernet adapter and a weird display-out card from the early 1990's I can't quite place) and a Sun Radeon PCI...

Most of the rest is going straight in my 'collect a box full and flog' pile. Which is of course exactly what the sellers did here 😉

Reply 30912 of 52991, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:

[*]IBM Thinkpad T43 - I wonder if it's got the GPU problem? I haven't even powered it up yet[/list]

I have one, which I had great success reflowing in my oven. Ran for a looong time afterwards, no problems. Probably still works today ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 30913 of 52991, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

You call that a LITTLE haul? Holy shit, great job!

Just a little understatement 😉

That said, quantity != quality. It was worth my while - and money - but only just so. Last night I tested everything I considered worth testing. Results were better than expected, only one dead motherboard (the HP OEM Asus P4 board) and the two dead VGA cards I already found, and the FDD needs a lot of cleaning to work reliably. That means that the low-profile Sapphire HD3650 PCIe is a useful upgrade for the HD4550 my youngest is currently using. I could buid two complete P4 systems (one late AGP, with the AOpen motherboard and the Radeon 9600 or so (as the 9700 and 7600GS are dead), the other an early PCIe with the HP OEM MSI board and X1950Pro), but that era just doesn't gey my juices flowing so I probably can't be bothered. Have been looking around for a BTX case too, but no luck - mBTX is uncommon but easy enough to find, full BTX basically only leads back to complete systems with the HP/Compaq DC7900 flex "mini"tower those boards came from.

Still, happy with my CT1740, GD5428 and PX-760A.

Reply 30914 of 52991, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_20191027_174359_710.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191027_174359_710.jpg
File size
477.38 KiB
Views
File license

Pictures of my recent eBay purchases (except the 4MB RAM card the 16MB replaced).

- Kingston 16MB RAM card
- Cisco Aironet LCM-352 PCMCIA card (it's actually meant for the pci slot module but the idea was to be able to close the PCMCIA bay door so it has "internal" wifi like a modern laptop)
- Lucent WaveLan Silver (Orinoco Silver) WiFi card, this was my second choice for wifi because the PDF instructions seemed way less fiddly compared to the Cisco.

About $30 total for all parts, and all worked out or so it seems.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 30915 of 52991, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Have been looking around for a BTX case too, but no luck - mBTX is uncommon but easy enough to find, full BTX basically only leads back to complete systems with the HP/Compaq DC7900 flex "mini"tower those boards came from.

Maybe have a look for one of the old modular CM Stacker cases like this one (not mine) https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153692010336 which allowed for easy conversion between full ATX & BTX

ATX2BTX.jpg
Filename
ATX2BTX.jpg
File size
35.05 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30916 of 52991, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

[...]

Maybe have a look for one of the old modular CM Stacker cases like this one (not mine) https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153692010336 which allowed for easy conversion between full ATX & BTX

ATX2BTX.jpg

Good tip, thanks!

There's one for sale more or less locally. Monumentally huge case, but should do the trick. Let's see if the seller still has it...

Reply 30917 of 52991, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Permedia 2 and Vendex card were in a bunch of random junk I bought... not tested yet, I don't have high hopes for them as the rest of the junk were in pretty bad shape. Also this vendex card has some weird bodge on the backside and somebody tried to use it in 16-bit slot as you can see... I don't know much about it too (only that it's ram expansion/graphics card/multi I/O from Vendex Turbo 888 XT machine...

Also got this nice CT2760 and Voodoo 1 for a good price. AWE32 is working fine, but Voodoo 1 is semi-dead (like I anticipated - most of them are) - as you can see it throws some artifacts, it's not detected by Windows too... one of the resistor ladders and some pins on the lower chip also seem like it overheated badly in the past... I havn't payed for it yet, so I will get it for the price of the bracket (as these seem hardly available) or I'm returning it to the seller...

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30918 of 52991, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Her in doors turned up with this

20191029_144411[1].jpg
Filename
20191029_144411[1].jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

I'm sure I can find a use for it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30919 of 52991, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:

AWE32 is working fine.

NICE ! A jumper set AWE32 is worth gold imho. Can be used on anything from 386 to Pentium w/o issue.
added: and they are getting quit rare to find compared to the pnp versions...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun