VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3140 of 52876, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digigram PCX 20 is a professional sound card with MPEG decoding capabilities. It was mostly used by radio stations etc. To the best of my knowledge, it is incompatible with anything else. You can look into its manual to see explicit specs.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3142 of 52876, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this yesterday:

venturis1_zps81aa0a43.jpg

venturis2_zpscd08d599.jpg

Digital (DEC) Venturis-FP 575 from late 1995.
Pentium 120 socket 5, 1xPCI, 2xISA, 1x PCI/ISA shared, onboard S3 Trio64 1MB (can upgrade to 2MB), HDD & floppy controllers (reads cd drives!), SB 16 Value ISA, 2x PS/2, 2x16MB RAM + 8MB onboard (max 128MB), Seagate 1.7GB HDD and a totally wrong dated (2003) dvd-rom from sony.

Price? 10€ xD

Similar system: http://mastodonpc.tripod.com/personal/575.html
What do you think? 😀

Last edited by GeorgeMan on 2014-01-20, 19:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 3144 of 52876, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice ok, also UK built I think! 😉

Oh and also this tiny board. AMD 386DX-40, 4x 30pin ram (max 16MB), 5x ISA 16bit, battery not yet leaked! 😁 😁

isa_zpsc1611ec7.jpg

For free with the above system.
What about its "MX" chipset? Never heard of it! Also, only one jumper to configure 33 or 40MHz operation.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 3146 of 52876, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been at the scrapyard today, saved this from the gold scrap bin!

pc5f.jpg

- two slockets
- unknown slot CPU
- Pentium 60MHz with FDIV bug
- IBM 6x86MX 233

l5ya.jpg

Intel Premiere/PCI ED "Batman's Revenge", socket 4

g6om.jpg

Abit KT7A-RAID, socket A. One IDE connector is slightly damaged but nothing bad.

n4nc.jpg

ASUS P2B 440BX board with three ISA slots.
Has good looking Rubycon caps and allows FSB speeds up to 150MHz! Might be a worthy replacement for my MS-6119.

ohz4.jpg

TMC Research PCI54IT, socket 7. Missing power connector.

994n.jpg

Dell 440LX board...

iquq.jpg

With both YMF715 and YMF721 (OPL4) 😳

Last edited by jwt27 on 2014-01-21, 15:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3147 of 52876, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really `hardware`..

I need this `thing` for easier de-solder trough hole boards without damage them..
I hope it would be very easy on cpu sockets, memory sockets, simple through hole stuff..
Do not want to mess with solder wick, and solder iron.. Because on through hole work, wick cant suck the whole solder out of the holes..
And i really dont want to mess with solder suck pumps, because they wear hard on the tips.. And then they wont work very good anymore.
Only for SMD parts i will just use solder braid / wick.

So this is the real deal:

$T2eC16hHJHUFFfz!UcdZBReVV%28rT3w~~60_12.JPG

I think this it the best priced / quality desolder station..
I had already thought about the duratool station, but that one was more cheaper quality on not ESD protected.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3148 of 52876, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@robin4 let us know how that works out, I too am tired of needing 3 hands to de-solder caps from motherboards. Maybe make a video like this guy: http://youtu.be/0tgPgo9EYFs

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3149 of 52876, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah i will do if i have desoldered some boards.. I dont think i can just give an opinion if i do only one board..
Its also easier to remove the components from dead motherboards ( like with the battery acid have eaten the traces on the board for example)
Iam not going just throwing some board away if i think they wont work.. Its only for heavy damaged boards that arent possible to fix or just to repair the boards, like renewing cpu sockets (when cpu cooler clips are broken, or damaged memory sockets that broke or easy for desolder, soldered in RTC`s ect.

Did Mau1wurf1977 made an topic about that recapping that motherboard?? I have not had found one here..
But what i can say about his solder skills, i think he doing it wrong.. He doesnt use flux for to get better contact on the pads.. Also he choose maybe to wrong solder tip. ( i should take a smaller shishle, the pads are tiny. You need to look on the size what you are going to solder, and than choose the right tip that match the pad). Because if you need solder small pads, then you need a smaller solder tip, otherwise the heat transaction to the pad would be to limited, and never would heat much up as needed.

So before i should desolder, take the solder iron and some good quality solderwire with flux inside.. Best is to go for 0.6mm solder wire.. because you can add it more precisely. If it would to thick then it would add to much solder to the joint and the pad.. Its not needed to much solder on the pads. You need to solder like they do it in the factory, then its an more stronger connection.

Then you need a good solder station, and single iron is possible, but you cant adjust the temperature of the solder tip, because the temperature is fixed on an single iron..
Its very helpfull / handy when you use a good brand station that will heat up quick and senses the temperature on the solder tip.

If the tip is new, you need to use some stuff to countersink the tip first, otherwise the soldering just dont work.. You can also countersink the tip with just solder wire.. When the tip have solder on it you just need to clean it with the wet sponge, or use an copper wire cleaner.. Also look that you have adjust to the right temperature configured on the station.. You can test it with some solder wire what the best melt temperature is.
You dont need have to wait to long when the solder tip and temperature is right.. If you have the wrong tip, but the right temperature it would still be hard to solder.. And it just take to much time to get some heat from the iron..

Then before you go to desolder, heat the pads what you want to desolder with the solder iron, and add some solder wire to it. ( this is because, back then the quality of the solderwire was different, and when the solder joint is older it also can give problems on heating the solder up. So to mixture the old and new solder together the melt temperature of the older solder will defently get lower, so its much easier to heat up the pad now.

When you have mixture the old and new solder then its the time to desolder it.. I think then you getting an better result, and mosty of the solder would much easier get sucked out of the holes..

When solder a new capicator in, i should recommend some flux on the pads, this give the solder more support so the solder will much easier flow on the pads.

He also said that he burned the board, i guess if was some flux or PCB protector that burned.. I think that it should easy been removed with isopropanol alcohol.. You always need to clean you solder stuff when finished on soldering. So take an swab or so and rub the board clean with isopropanol alcohol.

Sorry about bad englisch writing, writing english isnt my strongest point here. My main language is dutch, but trying to do my best.. When iam using english more, my skill would be little bit better time af time.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-01-21, 03:09. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3150 of 52876, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
Been at the scrapyard today, saved this from the gold scrap bin! Dell 440LX board... […]
Show full quote

Dell 440LX board...

iquq.jpg

With both YMF715 and YMF721 (OPL4) 😳

Great finds...i have two similar boards...one with the ymf715 chip and an opl4 chip on a tiny daughtercard and the other with just the ymf715. So nice to have hardware opl4 compatibility without needing to use up an isa slot.

Being an LX chipset board, of course you are regulated to using slower pII cpu's, but i think this is a great board for buildinng a retro rig for later dos games (late 1990s and early 2000 dos games)

Reply 3151 of 52876, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
Been at the scrapyard today, saved this from the gold scrap bin! http://imageshack.com/a/img163/4775/l5ya.jpg […]
Show full quote

l5ya.jpg

Some socket 4 board.

Some very nice finds there! FYI, this motherboard is an early original Intel motherboard for the first Pentiums with Socket 4. If I remember correctly there are two slightly different variants of the motherboard, the Intel Premiere/PCI ED Batman and Batman's Revenge. I think this is the Batman's Revenge, judging by the position of the RAM sockets (http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/P/PE … MAN-REVENG.html).

I also have one of these, but unfortunately I couldn't get the on-board IDE working properly. I suppose it's not a very useful board nowadays, as you're better off with a faster Socket 5/7 Pentium system, but it's a nice piece of history nonetheless. 😀

Reply 3152 of 52876, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lennart wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Some socket 4 board.

Some very nice finds there! FYI, this motherboard is an early original Intel motherboard for the first Pentiums with Socket 4. If I remember correctly there are two slightly different variants of the motherboard, the Intel Premiere/PCI ED Batman and Batman's Revenge. I think this is the Batman's Revenge, judging by the position of the RAM sockets (http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/P/PE … MAN-REVENG.html).

I also have one of these, but unfortunately I couldn't get the on-board IDE working properly. I suppose it's not a very useful board nowadays, as you're better off with a faster Socket 5/7 Pentium system, but it's a nice piece of history nonetheless. 😀

This is not the Batman Revenge board, but the Premiere/PCI (ver 2): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IN … ml#.Ut5ichDsS70
You can tell by the jumper at the lower left corner right next to the RAM sockets. On the Premiere PCI they are aligned with the LED/Switches jumpers, on Batman's Revenge they are misaligned and placed closer to the RAM sockets.

I own this motherboard myself and I think it's a great system. Get a good cooler and it's a stable system quicker than a Intel DX4-100 and Intel P75 (about the same as a AMD X5 P75 133mhz, but with quicker FPU). It is picky about RAM and I had to place 4x8MB in the sockets to get it working.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3153 of 52876, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
This is not the Batman Revenge board, but the Premiere/PCI (ver 2): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IN … ml#.Ut5ichDs […]
Show full quote
Lennart wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Some socket 4 board.

This is not the Batman Revenge board, but the Premiere/PCI (ver 2): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IN … ml#.Ut5ichDsS70
You can tell by the jumper at the lower left corner right next to the RAM sockets. On the Premiere PCI they are aligned with the LED/Switches jumpers, on Batman's Revenge they are misaligned and placed closer to the RAM sockets.

I own this motherboard myself and I think it's a great system. Get a good cooler and it's a stable system quicker than a Intel DX4-100 and Intel P75 (about the same as a AMD X5 P75 133mhz, but with quicker FPU). It is picky about RAM and I had to place 4x8MB in the sockets to get it working.

Hey, thanks for helping me identify this!
Judging from the pics at Stason I think it's the Batman's Revenge board: it has two IDE connectors, it's missing JP8 near the keyboard connector, and there's an aux power connector between the expansion slots. That's a really awesome name for a mainboard by the way!

The socket 7 board appears to be a TMC Research PCI54IT: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/T/TM … T-VER-0-10.html

Reply 3154 of 52876, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
This is not the Batman Revenge board, but the Premiere/PCI (ver 2): http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IN … ml#.Ut5ichDs […]
Show full quote
Lennart wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Some socket 4 board.

I have the same board in one of my Gateway 2000 computers, I love socket 4 systems. How would the Pentium 60/66 be faster than a Pentium 75mhz system, is it because of the 50mhz FSB of the Pentium 75? I have several of each of these computers and have not compared them head to head yet.

Reply 3155 of 52876, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Judging from the pics at Stason I think it's the Batman's Revenge board: it has two IDE connectors, it's missing JP8 near the keyboard connector, and there's an aux power connector between the expansion slots. That's a really awesome name for a mainboard by the way!

I believe you are correct. I missed out on the aux power connector and two IDE connectors details. I think my board must be the Batman's Revenge as well, as it looks exactly like yours.

Tiremaster400 wrote:

I have the same board in one of my Gateway 2000 computers, I love socket 4 systems. How would the Pentium 60/66 be faster than a Pentium 75mhz system, is is because of the 50mhz FSB of the Pentium 75? I have several of each of these computers and have not compared them head to head yet.

Yes, 50mhz FSB and slower than normal PCI bus speed makes the system slower than a Pentium 66 running with a 66mhz FSB and full 33mhz PCI bus.

The later Socket 7 motherboards really improved performance on the Pentiums, so a Pentium 75 in a Intel 430HX (the quickest Socket 7 chipset in terms of performance pr. MHZ) is not the same as a Pentium 75 in a 430NX (or 430FX with Async cache)

See benchmarks: Pipeline burst cache performance boost on Socket 7 - benchmark results

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3156 of 52876, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today also bought 2 towers. 1st one:

AMD 386DX-40, 8x1MB Ram, Realtek RTG3105e 512KB ISA vga, ISA controller, tiny mobo, Conner 120MB HDD, Floppy, no sound nor cd-rom, case in very good condition with MHz led display.

386t_zps5d6d5124.jpg

And a second one, a little yellowed. Dirt will be cleaned. Includes:
Matsonic MS5120 socket7 mobo with VXPRO+ chipset (VIA VPX)
2x8MB EDO Ram (only!)
Avance Logic 1MB PCI VGA
Opti16 ISA sound (worth anything?)
Seagate 1.7GB HDD
CD-Rom Hitachi 24x
Pentium MMX 166MHz

mmx1_zps9fb6ee83.jpg

mmx3_zps35a7ce0a.jpg

All for 20 euros.

Reply 3158 of 52876, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Couldn't resist!
Now I need to find somewhere a cheap Voodoo2 (or an SLI, but I'm not going to spend like 60 euros for this) and a Matrox PCI 8MB.
But where?

Oh and I forgot to mention that the 386/40 is a socketed one! 😁

Reply 3159 of 52876, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:
Couldn't resist! Now I need to find somewhere a cheap Voodoo2 (or an SLI, but I'm not going to spend like 60 euros for this) and […]
Show full quote

Couldn't resist!
Now I need to find somewhere a cheap Voodoo2 (or an SLI, but I'm not going to spend like 60 euros for this) and a Matrox PCI 8MB.
But where?

Oh and I forgot to mention that the 386/40 is a socketed one! 😁

Voodoo2's (both 8 & 12MB) are all over the place and are pretty affordable.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg