VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3221 of 52791, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah i know that, but since it uses solid caps that must mean it has good quality sound.
Does it have channel limitations?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3222 of 52791, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

...As for the sticker and residue..use some cooking oil or "googone" before you clean it with a soap or lysol wipes.

Thanks! I was playing Wolfenstein 3D and my wife forced me to put some stuff up on eBay. I will try to clean it this evening or tomorrow evening. 😊

Robin4 wrote:

...So now iam done on XT boards.

Wow thats really hardcore!. Lucky i dont have that kind of woman here.. She really dont care, i doesnt care either.
But that comes through that I have my own workspace. I can do here what i want.. Nobody have to complain to my side.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3224 of 52791, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Japanese solid capacitors, high heat and voltage variation resistance and extreme durability. Space grade capacitors 😀
Mostly things that have expensive components are also using solid caps.
I'm guess 401AT has a good DAC on it.

Also I am wondering does it have MIDI channel limitations? As in, can only play 8/16 channels, mono/stereo, sampling rate, bit depth, etc.

Reply 3227 of 52791, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MPU401AT is just an interface, there is no samplerate or mono/stereo or bit depth.
One midi port on it can carry information for 16 channels for your connected device to receive and do whatever they can with it. It's like a serial connection that sends data out from the MIDI-OUT port and receives from the MIDI-IN.
There is no DAC on the mpu401at, it relies to what the wavetable daughterboard has, the audio connection is analog (meaning the daughterboard sends the MPU401AT a sound signal ready for the speakers). I think there is circuitcity to bring said analog signal to line-out level and a headphones amp on it though. (here is a pic of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roland_MPU-401AT.jpg )

You cannot record something from the MPU401AT, digital midi messages go to the connected midi module (and it's up to it to produce the sound) and there is not much point in recording from a daughterboard, there is less interference because there is no mixing on the MPU card (like the sb for example that mixes opl+wave date) but I don't think one needs to bother with a recording... we all know how a db50xg or scb-55 sounds 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited by keropi on 2014-01-26, 23:34. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3229 of 52791, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do daughter board cards have output? Thats why i original thought 401AT has a DAC.
Is an external module required?

I find it interesting because its so small and compact.

Reply 3231 of 52791, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ not quite correct, the mpu401at contains it's firmware inside a chip now. There is a rom on it like the previous mpus, it's just a more integrated/compact design: several chips became one due to computer evolution as you very well point out.

@Strojke:
Consider the mpu as a very special serial i/o card, it does nothing on it's own other than provide the ports. It's what you connect on it that produces sounds.
All normal non-custom wavetable daughterboards contain a DAC and output analog sound from the pins...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3232 of 52791, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That i didn't know 😁
Thanks for clarifying.

What are the major 401 models? As in, most popular/technically impressive.

Reply 3233 of 52791, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ what is of interest to us is listed here: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.gr/2010/03/tu … land-mt-32.html

there are other models, more complex or very simple but they are meant for use with music programs, in games they are almost useless... no game cares if a mpu offers more than one midi port or anything else extra 🤣 , infact cards that offer more stuff are most likely to not be compatible for games

Reply 3235 of 52791, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, ROM is not a correct word for them , hence the confusion. You could say something like "synth engine" instead in this case 😀

The SCC-1 and the LAPC-I cards are just roland mpus with a synth engine glued to them:
the scc-1 has the sc-55 synth engine + MPU401AT mpu and the lapc-i has the cm-32l synth engine + MPU-IPC-T... for the mpu401AT they put a header so the user could choose what to attach there in the form of a standard wavetable daughterboard.

Reply 3237 of 52791, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Easy_John is becoming the new Artex!

Just spend a little money on sound cards on New Year holidays, and they are only now beginning to be delivered.

carlostex wrote:

Soon enough Russian post office delivery will start giving him "the look" as well. :lol:

Oh, no. Russian post office is the last stronghold (bastion?) of the USSR. I am happy when I manage to get parcel without moral loss, losing only an hour of my time. :)

Terratec SoundSystem Maestro16 (AD1845 Version) + Wavetable DB
ISA_Terratec_SoundSystem_Maestro16_DB_f.JPG.

ISA_Terratec_SoundSystem_Maestro16_f.JPG. ISA_Terratec_SoundSystem_Maestro16_r.JPG. DB_Terratec_SoundSystem_Maestro16_r.JPG. DB_Terratec_SoundSystem_Maestro16_f.JPG.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3238 of 52791, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:

Russian post office is the last stronghold (bastion?) of the USSR. I am happy when I manage to get parcel without moral loss, losing only an hour of my time. 😀

🤣

I thought Putin was the last stronghold of the USSR! Watch out for your capitalist purchases, he's watching you!

But keep posting pics of the stuff we love them!

Reply 3239 of 52791, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Creative CT1600 (Sound Blaster Pro 2) (SBP2P5) (Boxed) ISA (1991)

e3kz.jpgjn4g.jpg
8fkq.jpg3m4o.jpg

Turtle Beach Tropez Classic (Black Memory Slots) (Boxed) ISA (1994)

1oi3.jpggi2n.jpg
0k9i.jpg
xbeg.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg