VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3460 of 52863, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was an upgrade for the MT-32 that cleaned up most of the noise from the signal, but that doesn't look like that one to me. I wish I could find a photo of an MT-32 with that upgrade but I can't. The one I am talking about adds two jacks but they are mounted in the white square with writing inside of it, not in the center of the rear panel. Upgraded MT-32's come up for sale on ebay once in a while and, surprisingly, they don't usually sell for more than a non-upgraded model.I don't think the market has set a definite value on the upgrade yet.

Roland%20MT-32%20rear.jpg

See the white square with the FCC compliance notification? The two jacks mount there.

Reply 3461 of 52863, by Bob925

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, new user here 😀

I have been "thumbing" through Vogons for a while now, and my appetite is thoroughly whet for a bit of retro hardware action (oo err). This thread in particular, which I've been looking at for about 3 weeks has got me thinking/remembering. I have a collection of stuff going back to the early 1990s, an Acer 386 SX/25 system, my first built which is an Am486 DX4/100 all the way up to my last desktop machine which was a rather crap P4 2.53Ghz. I've been using laptops for a long time, and recently built a modern AMD FX based desktop to use as my daily driver. Just tinkering with the components again after so long has me hankering for more, so I think I'll have to dig out all the old stuff and see if any of it works. The 486 in particular I'd love to get going again. I'm a bit concerned over the PSUs being that they're so very old and in some cases (geddit) haven't been used since the 1990s. I've got all sorts though, 486, Cyrix 6x86 P166MMX, P200MMX, PII 233, PII 300, I sold my Celeron 300A a couple of years ago 😒 AMD K6IIs K6IIIs. Sold my Althlon XP a couple of years back too (loved that machine!) I've never owned a PIII though. Sound cards range from Sound Blaster Pro up to Audigy, Aztec Galaxy NX Pro 16 with SCSI adapter (and caddy load SCSI CD-ROM) I had a Hercules Digifire 7.1 but I may have sold that. My Dad has a Roland MT32 (well I hope he still has). I have an assortment of old graphics cards - VLB Chips&Tech, Trident, S3 ViRGE and an Orchid 3dfx voodoo 1 card. I have a Voodoo 3 but if I remember correctly it doesn't do 3D... I think a Radeon 9600PRO is the most modern AGP card. That or an Nvidia FX5200. Basically all this great stuff is what me and my Dad bought/sold/swapped/"borrowed" (!) over the years and it's all sat there at his house in the attic waiting to be used again. This could take some time...

Anyway sorry to go on and on, just wanted to say hi (hope you don't mind I did it here 😀 ) and thank you to you guys for your inspiration!

Reply 3462 of 52863, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bob925 wrote:

Hi everyone, new user here 😀

I have been "thumbing" through Vogons for a while now, and my appetite is thoroughly whet for a bit of retro hardware action (oo err). This thread in particular, which I've been looking at for about 3 weeks has got me thinking/remembering. I have a collection of stuff going back to the early 1990s, an Acer 386 SX/25 system, my first built which is an Am486 DX4/100 all the way up to my last desktop machine which was a rather crap P4 2.53Ghz. I've been using laptops for a long time, and recently built a modern AMD FX based desktop to use as my daily driver. Just tinkering with the components again after so long has me hankering for more, so I think I'll have to dig out all the old stuff and see if any of it works. The 486 in particular I'd love to get going again. I'm a bit concerned over the PSUs being that they're so very old and in some cases (geddit) haven't been used since the 1990s. I've got all sorts though, 486, Cyrix 6x86 P166MMX, P200MMX, PII 233, PII 300, I sold my Celeron 300A a couple of years ago 😒 AMD K6IIs K6IIIs. Sold my Althlon XP a couple of years back too (loved that machine!) I've never owned a PIII though. Sound cards range from Sound Blaster Pro up to Audigy, Aztec Galaxy NX Pro 16 with SCSI adapter (and caddy load SCSI CD-ROM) I had a Hercules Digifire 7.1 but I may have sold that. My Dad has a Roland MT32 (well I hope he still has). I have an assortment of old graphics cards - VLB Chips&Tech, Trident, S3 ViRGE and an Orchid 3dfx voodoo 1 card. I have a Voodoo 3 but if I remember correctly it doesn't do 3D... I think a Radeon 9600PRO is the most modern AGP card. That or an Nvidia FX5200. Basically all this great stuff is what me and my Dad bought/sold/swapped/"borrowed" (!) over the years and it's all sat there at his house in the attic waiting to be used again. This could take some time...

Anyway sorry to go on and on, just wanted to say hi (hope you don't mind I did it here 😀 ) and thank you to you guys for your inspiration!

Welcome to Vogons! Where the older the whiskey...err I mean parts, the better it becomes 😁

Feel free to post an introduction of yourself and if you do, please do share pics! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3463 of 52863, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought another DFI Lanparty socket 939 Athlon 64 motherboard.
Only the bare board with sound module and I/O shield.

It was from a seller I already bought 3 "tested OK" DFI boards from, not a single one of them OK.
I had promised my self not to buy anything more from him but the board looked good, no bad caps or damages from what I could see and I need the sound module.
As soon as I had won the board I got a mail from the seller.
He was wondering if I ever will learn and was pretty much admitting that the board probably was broken.

I got the board today and it would not post at first but after some huffing and puffing it came to life and everything seem to work.
I paid $22 for the board and the going rate price in Sweden for these boards in good condition is at least 3 times as much so the gamble payed off for once.

4a4Image000.jpg

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-02-26, 19:39. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3464 of 52863, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are there so many defecting 939 SLI boards out there? Seems like most of them on ebay are defective or untested and the few that are working go for some decent money.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3465 of 52863, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Why are there so many defecting 939 SLI boards out there? Seems like most of them on ebay are defective or untested and the few that are working go for some decent money.

Many DFI socket 939 boards here in Sweden have been used for overclocking with mods and extreme cooling such as dry ice or even liqud nitrogen.
It was very popular back then, some still do it.

Bad caps is another issue that kills many socket 939 boards.
The fact that the sellers often have found the boards they are selling in dumpsters is yet another factor.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-02-26, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 3467 of 52863, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ifzsyq.jpg

Seagate ST11R with cables.. The price was really awesome.. Chance in a life time!

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-02-27, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3468 of 52863, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up this Yamaha CBX-T3 (also called a "Hello Music!" I think) locally - haven't tried it out yet but I like that it's beige, and that it stands up! Does anyone have any experience with this thing? It was a pretty cheap option for MIDI in the 90's I think, but the build quality is good if that counts for anything.

IMG_5071_zps5af9a318.jpg

IMG_5081_zps6e727b89.jpg

IMG_5059_zpse152f0ea.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3469 of 52863, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ it seems to me is'a a standard GM unit, there are specs here: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-producti … nerators/cbxt3/

also check here: http://www.quaggas.com/cbx-t3/ , it appears to be the same as the TG100

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3470 of 52863, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got my Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev:5.2.

It will be great for testing, benchmarking and comparing different socket 7 CPUs.
I do not think I will use this board for any serious retro gaming but who knows 😀.
I am testing the board with an old Pentium MMX as I write this, it seems to work perfectly so far.

Thanks again to Artex who was the one who found the board on Ebay.

545Image002.jpg

Reply 3472 of 52863, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So it's been another good week for me.
This week I got in the mail:
Another FX5900 AGP with passive Zalman cooler (gonna need to somehow active cool it though).
2x HD3850 AGP (1 with a very large heatpipe cooler) both with the molex adapter
HD2600 Pro AGP 512MB boxed. Cost me only 10 euro, a friend picked it up and is bringing it to me today if all goes well.
A random Radeon 9250 or something, again with this sandwich Zalman cooler. Not sure what to do with this one yet.
A Creative Audigy 1
Northwood 3.2GHz (Finally got a second good Northwood yay!)
Pentium 4 motherboard, but with a non-Intel chipset
Several DDR-400 DIMMs cl2.5 or cl2 (these come with a nice looking heatspreader).

And I finally got a good deal for some new P4 PSU's, these should be coming to me soon.

So for now I'm good on AGP cards finally and none of the ones I got the last few weeks was more expensive then 15 euro without shipping (and I bought most in small lots, so several parts in 1 shipment box) 😁

Edit: I forgot, I also got a mystery card. I got an Asus X850 AGP, but on the bottom theres a sticker which clearly mentions it's a standard X800 and not the X850. Strange, but then again it was only 5 euro anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3473 of 52863, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Happy days at my house, I finally got my hands on the boxed Matrox Millennium I've been looking for since forever. This one was still factory sealed but that didn't last long:

IMG_5089_zps3ab7ef96.jpg

IMG_5084_zpscf611866.jpg

IMG_5093_zpsefd25e4d.jpg

And I picked up this CT1320C plus the requisite chips for CMS - not quite sure what to do with this other than try out the CMS and... I'll think of something.

IMG_5097_zps358565a4.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3474 of 52863, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Happy days at my house, I finally got my hands on the boxed Matrox Millennium I've been looking for since forever. This one was still factory sealed but that didn't last long:

Big gratz! Will you consider uploading the driver disk to Vogonsdrivers?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3479 of 52863, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Latest acquisitions (pix coming soon..)

Boxed Creative Game Blaster
Boxed Gravis Ultrasound 3.73 (Upgraded to 1MB)
Boxed Roland CM-64
Boxed Creative CT-4520 AWE64 (Value Edition)
Boxed ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro
Boxed ATI All-In-Wonder 128
Boxed Creative Voodoo2 8MB
Boxed Orchid Righteous 3D (Voodoo1)
Boxed Creative Sound Blaster Pro CT-1330A Rev 5
Boxed (Sealed/New Old Stock) Canopus Pure3D (Voodoo1)
Matrox G400 MAX

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg