Reply 46181 of 52786, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-01, 21:38:
And some audio card pickups from this past month. […]
Show full quote

And some audio card pickups from this past month.

Part of these are an attempt to collect all the original h/w supported by classic Sierra games to be able to do original h/w recordings from those games. I think I'm almost there...

Auzentech X-Fi I'm thinking of adding to my ultimate XP rig.

And the classic GUS just because. 😀

Looks like that X-Fi is based off the Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe. I have one in my main PC still, excellent card even by todays standards. Very powerful headphone amp.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 46183 of 52786, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ibm5155 wrote on 2022-08-31, 13:30:
Got a IBM Thinkpad 235, working quite well and even had the surprise that it game with an ESS soundchip plus you can underclock […]
Show full quote

Got a IBM Thinkpad 235, working quite well and even had the surprise that it game with an ESS soundchip plus you can underclock it during normal usage 😁
Since I got all the original cds and stuff, I plan to make a backup one day (when I get a CF adapter for sd card since I have no modern ways of transfering data right now)

Also, unlike my Toshiba Satellite 330CDT, the C&T graphics card seems to be filling the screen without black borders (tested with a few games like starcraft, doom95 and quake 2) I wonder why since they both seems to be the same graphics card...

Pics:

https://imgur.com/3pUnXxz.jpg https://imgur.com/2uJosaH.jpg […]
Show full quote

3pUnXxz.jpg
2uJosaH.jpg

Nice! The Chandra laptops are really cool finds, that one looks like it's in really nice condition too. I've got an Opti Talisman, the older version compared to your 235, but it has a regular UK keyboard: http://www.basterfield.com/pc110/history.htm
That Japanese space bar looks like it'd be interesting to type on 😀
I think for the screen expansion, I Recall there being some small .exe file that could turn on the video expansion on Toshiba laptops, but I don't remember what it's called. Does relate to the Chips graphics from what I remember.

I bought (and received) a truly untested Sony Vaio Picturebook C1XD (XD) - these are getting really rare in a functional state! All the ones up for sale have various faults, but it seems I got lucky with this untested one, because it works just fine.
This thing has a 1024*480 9" LCD screen, Pentium II 400Mhz CPU, a whopping 64mb of RAM, Neomagic video (oh well) and Yamaha DS-XG audio.

ebay1.jpg
Filename
ebay1.jpg
File size
203.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Something I didn't know about the C1X series is that unlike the C1V crusoe models, it uses a Lithium RTC battery rather than NiMH so internally this thing is fine and I didn't even need to take it apart.

IMG_3063 (Custom) (1).JPG
Filename
File size
896.7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sadly it has no charger, the Picturebook C1X and C1V series both appear to use a special sony connector - so the chargers are crazy expensive, who would pay £100 for a PCGA-AC16V2 or PCGA-AC5N charger? But that's what they cost because they are just that rare.

However... 2.54mm pin headers can fit in pretty well:

IMG_3054 (Custom) (1).JPG
Filename
File size
793.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And now it's working but I'm scared to touch the side since even with shielded probes, a short is likely:

IMG_3051 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_3051 (Custom).JPG
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've been working on a fix - 3d printer to the rescue 😀

Reply 46184 of 52786, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This beauty came today. I think I have a VLB card addiction...

I found a DOS packet driver for it and was able to ping Google, so it works. I can't find a darned thing about this card, but I just love the odd-ballness of a VLB ethernet card with a semi-obscure SMC chip. Go figure.

QUICK EDIT: Also this card is very temperamental and I am not sure it likes the Chips 4041 board I'm using it in. I may have to try another chipset that runs looser timings, as it seems a bit quirky at times.

IMG_3147.jpg
Filename
IMG_3147.jpg
File size
1.99 MiB
Views
File comment
SMC91C92 VLB Ethernet Card
File license
CC-BY-4.0

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 46185 of 52786, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-09-02, 01:41:
This beauty came today. I think I have a VLB card addiction... […]
Show full quote

I found a DOS packet driver for it and was able to ping Google, so it works. I can't find a darned thing about this card, but I just love the odd-ballness of a VLB ethernet card with a semi-obscure SMC chip. Go figure.

QUICK EDIT: Also this card is very temperamental and I am not sure it likes the Chips 4041 board I'm using it in. I may have to try another chipset that runs looser timings, as it seems a bit quirky at times.

IMG_3147.jpg

I've never seen a VLB Ethernet card before!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 46186 of 52786, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-09-02, 01:24:
Nice! The Chandra laptops are really cool finds, that one looks like it's in really nice condition too. I've got an Opti Talisma […]
Show full quote
ibm5155 wrote on 2022-08-31, 13:30:
Got a IBM Thinkpad 235, working quite well and even had the surprise that it game with an ESS soundchip plus you can underclock […]
Show full quote

Got a IBM Thinkpad 235, working quite well and even had the surprise that it game with an ESS soundchip plus you can underclock it during normal usage 😁
Since I got all the original cds and stuff, I plan to make a backup one day (when I get a CF adapter for sd card since I have no modern ways of transfering data right now)

Also, unlike my Toshiba Satellite 330CDT, the C&T graphics card seems to be filling the screen without black borders (tested with a few games like starcraft, doom95 and quake 2) I wonder why since they both seems to be the same graphics card...

Pics:

https://imgur.com/3pUnXxz.jpg https://imgur.com/2uJosaH.jpg […]
Show full quote

3pUnXxz.jpg
2uJosaH.jpg

Nice! The Chandra laptops are really cool finds, that one looks like it's in really nice condition too. I've got an Opti Talisman, the older version compared to your 235, but it has a regular UK keyboard: http://www.basterfield.com/pc110/history.htm
That Japanese space bar looks like it'd be interesting to type on 😀
I think for the screen expansion, I Recall there being some small .exe file that could turn on the video expansion on Toshiba laptops, but I don't remember what it's called. Does relate to the Chips graphics from what I remember.

I bought (and received) a truly untested Sony Vaio Picturebook C1XD (XD) - these are getting really rare in a functional state! All the ones up for sale have various faults, but it seems I got lucky with this untested one, because it works just fine.
This thing has a 1024*480 9" LCD screen, Pentium II 400Mhz CPU, a whopping 64mb of RAM, Neomagic video (oh well) and Yamaha DS-XG audio.
ebay1.jpg

Something I didn't know about the C1X series is that unlike the C1V crusoe models, it uses a Lithium RTC battery rather than NiMH so internally this thing is fine and I didn't even need to take it apart.

Sadly it has no charger, the Picturebook C1X and C1V series both appear to use a special sony connector - so the chargers are crazy expensive, who would pay £100 for a PCGA-AC16V2 or PCGA-AC5N charger? But that's what they cost because they are just that rare.

However... 2.54mm pin headers can fit in pretty well:

And now it's working but I'm scared to touch the side since even with shielded probes, a short is likely:
IMG_3051 (Custom).JPG
I've been working on a fix - 3d printer to the rescue 😀

I was looking for a Sony Picturebook C1X but the prices were way too high or they have that Crusoe CPU :C

And yeah, that charger is scary 🤣

EDIT: The japanese keyboard is a challenge, and so far the biggest challenge is trying to find where is the windows key

Reply 46187 of 52786, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zip drive arrived today.
Usb + adapter, not powering on.
Z100USBNC

I can only send it back as there is no way I can see how it could be working.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 46188 of 52786, by Baleog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-01, 21:24:

Picked up some CRTs locally this past week, including a pair of 15 inch NOS monitors and a Commodore 1702 monitor.

The Q53 happened to be a monitor we had on our family PC, so it's got a lot of nostalgia value.

As for the 1702, it will probably find use with some old consoles I have. I'm glad it was fully intact, since I know a lot of them suffer from broken flaps on the front controls.

I love the look of the 1702. Nice find!

Mixed PCs - Midi racks - Micros and more

Reply 46189 of 52786, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2022-09-02, 10:11:
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-09-02, 01:41:
This beauty came today. I think I have a VLB card addiction... […]
Show full quote

IMG_3147.jpg

I've never seen a VLB Ethernet card before!

There are a few brands out there, most commonly those by CNET and Boca, from what I have seen. I can't really recommend them though! They are finnicky and apparently not that fast and this one is no exception! I have not tested the others, but this card does not seem to like WB L1 cache, and it seems very touchy about settings, locking the system up if you're not careful!

BetaC wrote on 2022-08-31, 19:18:

Finally found myself a DX-50. Don’t know if I’ll ever actually use it, but like my 286, it’s nice to have for collection purposes.

6CBD934A-F35D-42A3-A04C-24A677E936E2.jpeg

DX-50s are really underrated and neat CPUs! They're not the easiest to find today, and really shine in EISA boards or ISA-only 486s!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 46190 of 52786, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much is a working USB powered Zip 250 worth?
I saw ebay prices but they aren't helping 😀 Got mine for 40€ like.

Reply 46191 of 52786, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you got it for €40, that must be its value 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 46192 of 52786, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-09-02, 20:25:

I wish I could sell it for 500$ like some are suggesting in their auctions 🤣

Reply 46194 of 52786, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-02, 20:39:

Yeah well if you notice, those aren't selling either.

Reply 46195 of 52786, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Philips Rhythmic Edge, sealed. Been on the lookout for years for even a loose one to appear on Ebay, so was surprised when this new one showed up.

I like it because its the the most basic of the "Edge" models but comes with everything a gamer cares about including coax SPDIF port.

Attachments

• DSC_0417 (Custom).JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0417 (Custom).JPG
    File size
    1.5 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 46196 of 52786, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen them selling for below £50 / $60, so $500 is pretty unrealistic

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 46197 of 52786, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm supposed to meet with a Craigslist seller tomorrow morning to buy this non working mystery PC for $20.00. Wish me luck.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 46198 of 52786, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2022-09-03, 00:05:

Ebay has been a never ending party of crazyness at least 15 years.
In many forums, selling submenu, they state that the price must not be figured referencing ebay.
Otherwise you should ask silly prices that nobody is gonna buy for.

It was a semi rant because I'm tired of it.
Just yesterday I got a few things shipped in a shoebox, no padding, just some bubble wrapping (just a around), everything free to move. One item was broken.
Seller said that it's just fair for what I paid shipping........

Rant mode off - sorry.

Reply 46199 of 52786, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-09-03, 08:59:
Ebay has been a never ending party of crazyness at least 15 years. In many forums, selling submenu, they state that the price mu […]
Show full quote
Brawndo wrote on 2022-09-03, 00:05:

Ebay has been a never ending party of crazyness at least 15 years.
In many forums, selling submenu, they state that the price must not be figured referencing ebay.
Otherwise you should ask silly prices that nobody is gonna buy for.

It was a semi rant because I'm tired of it.
Just yesterday I got a few things shipped in a shoebox, no padding, just some bubble wrapping (just a around), everything free to move. One item was broken.
Seller said that it's just fair for what I paid shipping........

Rant mode off - sorry.

I wish seller would actually state accurate shipping costs that reflect decent packaging costs, I for one would rather pay a little more for shipping if it meant the seller actually packaged the item(s) in a way that would reduce the chances of breakage.

But nope with how eBay works they state the lowest possible postage costs as its how you get your items to the top of the search results list.