Topic actions

Reply 48080 of 52811, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:23:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:07:

Just a reminder to fellow forum goers who have a stash of Motherboards ..dont forget to give them a going over every now and again ...had to send a couple of old motherboards off to the great tech graveyard today. One was so bad that of the 2 dozen caps on the board more than half had either bloated or fully split open and leaked their shmoo.

Thankfully only one will be missed and that was the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe, a nice socket 939 board which was the one with the most dead caps on it, normally I might recap but these are the small fiddly in tight places type of caps on a multi plane board so Ill replace it rather than try saving it.

If the boards have value, you can always list this fault and pass it on to other collectors. I have no problem doing these kinds of repairs, there are certainly others who can as well.

I would if it was a rare or collectable board, but Evilbay is littered with the A8N boards and the other dead board was also nothing special just one of my spare socket 370 boards, I will keep this place in mind if any of my more collectable boards hit this point. Threw out a pair of AGP cards too ..but who wants a 64bit 9200SE or a 64bit FX5200 ...better yet who would want to bother repairing them 😁 I think their performance may have actually improved with the dead caps.

Just the thought of trying to resolder a multiplane board that used lead free solder gives me nightmares, Im glad there are brave souls out there that do these repairs.

Reply 48081 of 52811, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:29:

Threw out a pair of AGP cards too ..but who wants a 64bit 9200SE or a 64bit FX5200 ...better yet who would want to bother repairing them 😁 I think their performance may have actually improved with the dead caps.

They could potentially also serve as donor cards to cannabilize for parts to use for repairing other devices.

IMHO, there is no completely useless electronics even if the card or boards themselves have little value.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 48082 of 52811, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:54:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:29:

Threw out a pair of AGP cards too ..but who wants a 64bit 9200SE or a 64bit FX5200 ...better yet who would want to bother repairing them 😁 I think their performance may have actually improved with the dead caps.

They could potentially also serve as donor cards to cannibalize for parts to use for repairing other devices.

IMHO, there is no completely useless electronics even if the card or boards themselves have little value.

Yep they could have but my donor box is already crowded and at some point you have to decide if you have enough of that other precious commodity "Free Space" to keep more donor parts. They were put into the E-Waste system here so they will get recycled which is likely the best outcome for them.

I do need to go through that spares box, I need the Free Space more than I need spares.

Reply 48083 of 52811, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are also useful as training boards for hobbyists. Especially if they're entry level cards, there is less stress about damaging them. For example, these could be used to specifically test different ways to repair these kinds of hard to repair boards.

There are training boards, but they are very misleading, as they are often single layer and have no components on them, so soldering and desoldering is always done with fresh solder. Multiple layer video cards with large ground planes and ROHS solder is a completely different experience, and a shock for the unprepared.

I tried experimenting with my first BGA repair a few weeks ago, so see if I could do it without a preheater. It was impossible with the equipment I already had. I could not remove the memory chips no matter how much hot air was applied. I'm pretty sure I damaged everything surrounding the chip in the attempt. Luckily, it was just a donor board for practice.

Reply 48084 of 52811, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-02-17, 13:16:

normally I might recap but these are the small fiddly in tight places type of caps on a multi plane board so Ill replace it rather than try saving it.

And extra tedious because of that RoHS solder crap. That same board was in my second Athlon64 rig, being the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum in the first and still in possession. The first thing I did was replacing the northbridge fan with a blue Zalman heatsink (ZM-NB47J).

Man you just made my day !
In 2005 i had a K8N Neo2 Platinum with a Blue aluminium ZM-NB47J on the chipset.
And... i had to bend it to make room for the Radeon 9600XT...

Edit :

Thankfully only one will be missed and that was the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe, a nice socket 939 board which was the one with the most dead caps on it, normally I might recap but these are the small fiddly in tight places type of caps on a multi plane board so Ill replace it rather than try saving it.

Not that rare, but i think it's the first SLI motherboard that was available. So interesting card.
I currently have 2 (+ one Premium, almost identical) because i thought i killed one. But i found and fixed the first card issue after the replacement card arrived...

Edit2 :
Scumbag ebay tip : sell the "single card / sli" jumper board for a silly amount of money

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 48085 of 52811, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-02-17, 14:24:
Man you just made my day ! In 2005 i had a K8N Neo2 Platinum with a Blue aluminium ZM-NB47J on the chipset. And... i had to bend […]
Show full quote

normally I might recap but these are the small fiddly in tight places type of caps on a multi plane board so Ill replace it rather than try saving it.

And extra tedious because of that RoHS solder crap. That same board was in my second Athlon64 rig, being the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum in the first and still in possession. The first thing I did was replacing the northbridge fan with a blue Zalman heatsink (ZM-NB47J).

In 2005 i had a K8N Neo2 Platinum with a Blue aluminium ZM-NB47J on the chipset.

Edit :

Not that rare, but i think it's the first SLI motherboard that was available. So interesting card.
I currently have 2 (+ one Premium, almost identical) because i thought i killed one. But i found and fixed the first card issue after the replacement card arrived...

Edit2 :
Scumbag ebay tip : sell the "single card / sli" jumper board for a silly amount of money

...hmm wish I had thought of that ..selling the jumper card ..people really want that bit ?

Reply 48086 of 52811, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-17, 14:37:

...hmm wish I had thought of that ..selling the jumper card ..people really want that bit ?

I see none for sale (in ebay.fr at least).
The jumper card looks quite fragile.
It's small and easy to lose.
Boards are selling at least for ~50€

A jumper priced around 25€ may sell for a desperate A8N SLI Deluxe owner with a lost/broken jumper board....
Between paying 25€ and 50€....

Edit : and lightweight, so cheap shipping = worldwide reach !

But it's a bold move 😁

Reply 48087 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-02-17, 14:37:
acl wrote on 2023-02-17, 14:24:
Man you just made my day ! In 2005 i had a K8N Neo2 Platinum with a Blue aluminium ZM-NB47J on the chipset. And... i had to bend […]
Show full quote

Edit :

Edit2 :

I'm pretty sure I have one of these boards and it's actually missing the jumper. @_@

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48088 of 52811, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found this Video Seven (Headland) VRAM VGA II by accident, I made an offer to the guy who posted it on Facebook and he agreed to sell!

It has a memory expansion too!

So another addition to my collection of the high-end ISA SVGAs from the late 80s/early 90s which already included Video Seven VRAM VGA, Orchid Prodesigner II and Diamond SpeedSTAR.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 48089 of 52811, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-17, 22:27:

I found this Video Seven (Headland) VRAM VGA II by accident, I made an offer to the guy who posted it on Facebook and he agreed to sell!

So another addition to my collection of the high-end ISA SVGAs from the late 80s/early 90s which already included Video Seven VRAM VGA, Orchid Prodesigner II and Diamond SpeedSTAR.

HanJammer, are you planning to review them including Headland VGA card by running through some performance tests?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 48090 of 52811, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-17, 22:38:
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-17, 22:27:

HanJammer, are you planning to review them including Headland VGA card by running through some performance tests?

Cheers,

Yes. I do have a plan to do so. But I don't know when I will do it. For now I ceased recording videos for my channel. It's a lot of work yet the amount of subscribers and people watching the videos doesn't really justify it.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 48091 of 52811, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this New in box, never opened/never used at a thrift store, only $7 and got it not for the router part but for the 10/100 switch. Just in case one of my older 10/100 dies.
Have had many issues with newer Giga Bit switches keeping contact with old 10mBit ethernet stuff on my old stuff so figured for the price was a no brainer...

Attachments

• Img_2177s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2177s.jpg
    File size
    223.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 48092 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-17, 23:42:

Yes. I do have a plan to do so. But I don't know when I will do it. For now I ceased recording videos for my channel. It's a lot of work yet the amount of subscribers and people watching the videos doesn't really justify it.

Just a thought, but it may be worth looking into Utreon or other similar services where people can directly support your channel. I have considered doing this myself, but I'm not sure if I have the time to dedicate to make it successful, heh.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48093 of 52811, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-18, 02:51:

Just a thought, but it may be worth looking into Utreon or other similar services where people can directly support your channel. I have considered doing this myself, but I'm not sure if I have the time to dedicate to make it successful, heh.

Well I don't care about monetization. But if barely anybody watches it then what's the point. I generally had positive feedback about my videos so I don't think they are boring or irrelevant so my guess is the YT algorithm simply buries them. 🤷

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 48094 of 52811, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pre-story: While I own many video cards from AGP era upwards I have somehow managed to troubleshoot stuff without PCI variants. Well until I needed one...
Quick research across vogons suggested that S3 Virge is the one to get for compatibility reasons. Back in the days when I was junior IT support somehow I was surrounded with ATI Mach*/ Rage* PCI cards. I was early 3DFX adaptor so I never looked for alternatives therefore no S3 3D experience...

So I got this one for 5EUR+shipping off the Ebay.
Empty memory slots makes it incomplete. I need to do research what kind of chips it supports. Well clearly 4x512kb ones with it seems to be 60ns speed rating.

Attachments

• s3virgesx.jpg
    Filename
    s3virgesx.jpg
    File size
    724.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • S3memory.jpg
    Filename
    S3memory.jpg
    File size
    42.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 48095 of 52811, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-18, 10:46:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-18, 02:51:

Well I don't care about monetization. But if barely anybody watches it then what's the point. I generally had positive feedback about my videos so I don't think they are boring or irrelevant so my guess is the YT algorithm simply buries them. 🤷

I watched some of your videos, but from the link in your signature, not from YouTube (And i liked them)

I don't know how their algorithm works but I'm sure it plays a huge role.

I personally though about making some videos too.
But, like you said, it takes a lot of time. I did one last year for GpuJune. I took me like a month to have something okay-ish. I'm more and more considering writing some articles.

I realized that making video is just not something for me. It's just my point of view, but if you like making videos, you should continue. Views are just the cherry on the cake, not the goal.

Reply 48096 of 52811, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-02-18, 14:32:
I watched some of your videos, but from the link in your signature, not from YouTube (And i liked them) […]
Show full quote

I watched some of your videos, but from the link in your signature, not from YouTube (And i liked them)

But, like you said, it takes a lot of time. I did one last year for GpuJune. I took me like a month to have something okay-ish. I'm more and more considering writing some articles.

I realized that making video is just not something for me. It's just my point of view, but if you like making videos, you should continue. Views are just the cherry on the cake, not the goal.

Thanks for watching the videos. Some people just record unscripted videos, and then cut them which is perhaps way less work. That's not the way I imagine it though and maybe you noticed I made videos in both English and Polish which is basically twice the amount of work per episode (script and voiceovers take most of the time). Anyway, making videos is a lot of fun, but I may need to reinvent the formula and perhaps limit myself to just one language so it takes less time allowing me to upload on more regular basis.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 48097 of 52811, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-18, 15:26:
I watched some of your videos, but from the link in your signature, not from YouTube (And i liked them) […]
Show full quote

Thanks for watching the videos. Some people just record unscripted videos, and then cut them which is perhaps way less work. That's not the way I imagine it though and maybe you noticed I made videos in both English and Polish which is basically twice the amount of work per episode (script and voiceovers take most of the time). Anyway, making videos is a lot of fun, but I may need to reinvent the formula and perhaps limit myself to just one language so it takes less time allowing me to upload on more regular basis.

Yes, and you have more views in Polish language !
It's really more difficult to make a video in another language.

Reply 48098 of 52811, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got those from a friend:
-2 NOS Comrace Magnum (Romanian OEM) microATX PC case (one white, one black)
-ASUS Vento TA-851 PC Case + 500W Raidmax PSU
-DeLux MG760BMW PC case with floppy and optical drive + PSU
-MSI MS-7010 Socket 754 board with AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and RAM + AGP video card

Reply 48099 of 52811, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2023-02-18, 15:26:
Show full quote

So long as a video has English captions Ill watch it regardless of main language used.
I watch a lot of Video from Japan and Korea this way. (No not that kind of video)

I do understand why captions in English are not used ..Written English is harder to pick up than spoken English. Thankfully Google Translate can do 90% of the heavy translation lifting here with the more common European languages, don't know how it fares with Polish to English though.