VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5060 of 53040, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shame the machines themselves were scrap, tokroger, but that is indeed a very nice haul. 32MB+ EDO memory sticks are always useful, even in ECC form, and there's some nice CPUs in there as well (particularly the Xeon, Athlon 64 3000+ and the 1.3 GHz Duron)

Reply 5061 of 53040, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Splinter 😀 And Lukeno94, i'm very happy about those sticks. They're very useful i think. There was problem with psu:s both of those servers so there's a slight chance that there are some damaged goods but i have to test them first to be sure. Hope they're okay 😀

Reply 5062 of 53040, by sgraffite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just discovered this forum, and it seems like the best place for retro stuff.

I picked up this HP Server tc3100 on craigslist for $50. I thought it was interesting because it has two Pentium III sockets, and a max memory of 4gb!?! I dunno, that is impressive to me for that time period.

Came with 256mb of PC133 ECC RAM. I had 2x 128mb of PC100 ECC RAM to add to it. It also has the dummy CPU which I suppose is necessary, otherwise it wouldn't exist. The CPU is a 1.266 GHz Pentium III, not too shabby. It has two 18gb 10k RPM SCSI drives, a tad noisy IMO.

Computer appears to work fine and no dust at all that I can spot, which I'm not sure they managed that unless they cleaned it up. It's spotless.

Spoiler tags don't seem to be working in the norm, so enjoy giant images you will.

In the last pic, I don't know what that chip is. It has no heatsink, and has "RCC-NB6635-P03" written upon it. Black with orange text.

[spoiler="Hide these giant images please?"]
45hgozH.jpg
FJUvSxl.jpg
FWpLc58.jpg
[/spoiler]

Reply 5063 of 53040, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgraffite wrote:
I just discovered this forum, and it seems like the best place for retro stuff. […]
Show full quote

I just discovered this forum, and it seems like the best place for retro stuff.

I picked up this HP Server tc3100 on craigslist for $50. I thought it was interesting because it has two Pentium III sockets, and a max memory of 4gb!?! I dunno, that is impressive to me for that time period.

Came with 256mb of PC133 ECC RAM. I had 2x 128mb of PC100 ECC RAM to add to it. It also has the dummy CPU which I suppose is necessary, otherwise it wouldn't exist. The CPU is a 1.266 GHz Pentium III, not too shabby. It has two 18gb 10k RPM SCSI drives, a tad noisy IMO.

Computer appears to work fine and no dust at all that I can spot, which I'm not sure they managed that unless they cleaned it up. It's spotless.

Spoiler tags don't seem to be working in the norm, so enjoy giant images you will.

In the last pic, I don't know what that chip is. It has no heatsink, and has "RCC-NB6635-P03" written upon it. Black with orange text.

[spoiler="Hide these giant images please?"]
http://i.imgur.com/45hgozH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FJUvSxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FWpLc58.jpg
[/spoiler]

Welcome to Vogons! 😁

And about the images, it's better to link to the thumbnails (at least that's what I do when I used photobucket) or just use url tags like I did in your quote, for instance, as part of the pics are cut off 😀

And I think the black and orange chip I think is part of the chipset.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5064 of 53040, by sgraffite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the welcome!

I use imgur now, I stopped using photobucket and imageshack when they decided boatloads of advertisements were necessary, and random image deletion (a pic of Commander Keen floppy disks, I do not understand at all?) among other things.

Back on topic

My best guess is that orange labeled chip is some sort of bridge between the CPUs, based on location, so that would make sense it is part of the chipset.

What are my odds of getting working 1gb sticks of ECC from Amazon for PC133 RAM?

I see a lot of 64x4 in the pc133 ECC category, but from the sound of it 32x8 would likely be more compatible? I'm not even sure how to gauge that as it is all dependent on the chipset I'd think?

Reply 5066 of 53040, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sgraffite: Nice machine, i've been looking for nice server as well. Last year i think five different went through my hands but all of them were too much to handle for me. Well, maybe someday 😀

Reply 5067 of 53040, by Callahan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This black chip is ServerWorkS northbridge: Champion LE (also known as Champion Entry)— Supports up to two processors with 133/100MHz FSB.
In 2nd socket is sitting terminator.

Cpq: ap550(2x1G/256k), sp750(2x900/2MB), 5100(2xpII300)
TD-30 2xP166 NT 3.51
HP Vectra XU 6/200 2x PIIOD 512MB FPM Banshee
Super S2DG2@550/2MB SCSI 15k V5 5500
P4T533-C P4 3,06 Ti4600
Dell T700r @P3-700 V3 3500
PR440FX-2x PIIOD Voodoo 4500 PCI r320 CT1920

Reply 5069 of 53040, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My latest eBay find finally made it to my house:

pf8PchP.jpg
It's a Gateway Solo 2300, made in mid 1997 I believe. Specs:

Pentium 200MMX
32MB RAM
3.2GB Hitachi HDD
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD
Yamaha YMF715
12.1" TFT display
Windows 98SE, may put 95 on this though

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5073 of 53040, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What they are trying to tell you is that you could have avoided any conflict if you simply made a thread requesting where to go if you want trade/sell things.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5075 of 53040, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just noticed the battery in my Solo 2300 is actually good. I swear, it lasts upwards of 2 hours.

UIVNT0N.jpg

Last edited by Sutekh94 on 2014-10-08, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt