VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 52520 of 52803, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got this Legend QDI P6i440bx/B9 for free from a neighbor...

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 52521 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one must have managed to slip past the radar because I got it for a great price.

mirovideo20td_1.jpeg
Filename
mirovideo20td_1.jpeg
File size
414.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
mirovideo20td_2.jpeg
Filename
mirovideo20td_2.jpeg
File size
555.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
mirovideo20td_3.jpeg
Filename
mirovideo20td_3.jpeg
File size
523.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Sealed box "MiroVIDEO 20TD Live!". Tseng ET4000/W32P VLB 2MB video card with a TV Tuner and extra video processing hardware and software.

The problem with sealed boxes is that it's so cool to have them brand new, unused... and yet I would really like to see what's in the box and test out the card.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 52522 of 52803, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-09, 02:43:
This one must have managed to slip past the radar because I got it for a great price. […]
Show full quote

This one must have managed to slip past the radar because I got it for a great price.

mirovideo20td_1.jpeg
mirovideo20td_2.jpeg
mirovideo20td_3.jpeg

Sealed box "MiroVIDEO 20TD Live!". Tseng ET4000/W32P VLB 2MB video card with a TV Tuner and extra video processing hardware and software.

The problem with sealed boxes is that it's so cool to have them brand new, unused... and yet I would really like to see what's in the box and test out the card.

Stuff still in a sealed box is meant to be used, its just screaming out to be thrown into a PC worthy of its design and used to do what it was made for . .not sit in some box that could just be empty and resealed. So now you can enjoy looking at a pretty bit of cardboard while using that video card and enjoying it.

This is just my view on NOS/NIB stuff, it needs to be taken out inspected, tested and enjoyed.

Reply 52523 of 52803, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2024-04-05, 17:19:

Well, April is of to a magnificent start. VP6s and 486 are now at customs in the country (Bucharest) so in a few days they might be here.

Meanwhile, I was looking over some classified ads and these caught my eye.

Eagle eyes should tell very easily why I didn't THE SLIGHTEST hesitate to click the "Buy now" button.

you needed a new remote control for the tv? 😀

that's an interesting collection of things to go through anyway!

Reply 52524 of 52803, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll prolly give them away to a friend who runs a TV shop near me. They seem to be UPC/Vodafone remotes (aside of the grey one which idk) and he might be able to program those universally. (at least I managed to do so.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 52525 of 52803, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vutt wrote on 2024-04-08, 18:18:

Todays was good day. Managed to grab on local auction site this one for almost nothing. Guy told me that his wife asked to get rid of it since it takes to much space. Also probably did not fit into modern room design. He is not used to sell stuff on auction sites hence the price...

I'd say God bless marriage institution. 😉

Nice flat screen monitor. Those 17” needs a matching partner.

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 52527 of 52803, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-09, 03:38:
This one must have managed to slip past the radar because I got it for a great price. […]
Show full quote

mirovideo20td_1.jpeg
mirovideo20td_2.jpeg
mirovideo20td_3.jpeg

Stuff still in a sealed box is meant to be used, its just screaming out to be thrown into a PC worthy of its design and used to do what it was made for . .not sit in some box that could just be empty and resealed. So now you can enjoy looking at a pretty bit of cardboard while using that video card and enjoying it.

This is just my view on NOS/NIB stuff, it needs to be taken out inspected, tested and enjoyed.

It is an odd sort of enjoyment; there could be a rock inside of that box rather than the treasured PC component and they would never know.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 52528 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-09, 20:02:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-09, 03:38:
Show full quote

mirovideo20td_1.jpeg
mirovideo20td_2.jpeg
mirovideo20td_3.jpeg

It is an odd sort of enjoyment; there could be a rock inside of that box rather than the treasured PC component and they would never know.

Yeah, I don't personally seek out sealed hardware because I love holding the devices, disks and paperwork and looking at them in person. There's something nostalgic and satisfying about handling this stuff.

However, there's also no denying that a sealed box is worth significant more to people who collect those kinds of things. And, if we're being honest, I'm probably not going to notice a difference between running this ET4000/W32P in a retro PC versus running one I already have that isn't sealed (or other high performance VLB cards).

Kind of like how it feels like a vintage car that was garage kept it's whole life really SHOULD be driven and appreciated by someone... But if a working class guy that can't normally afford such things ends up with one cheaply somehow, would we blame him for wanting to leave it mint until moving it on to an enthusiast with deeper pockets?

Not the same thing of course, but it's a similar dilemma on a much smaller scale for me. Personally, if there was no difference in value between sealed box and complete-but-open box devices like this, I wouldn't have any sealed boxes at all. I have opened a few old sealed boxes over the years because I needed to use them. This one however would just be curiosity, and it's rare/unusual enough that this could be the only sealed one around anymore.

Reply 52529 of 52803, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I can switch in to MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE when I eventually give in to the idea of a 486 again. I keep on trying to do them, and they keep on giving me a reason to move on from them. But hey, I won't complain about the CPU collection I have built up...

IMG_3238.jpg
Filename
IMG_3238.jpg
File size
322.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_3240.jpg
Filename
IMG_3240.jpg
File size
470.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 52530 of 52803, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InTheStudy wrote on 2024-04-09, 19:14:

Someone in the UK just got an SC-55 for £52. You know who you are. Outbid me by a quid in the last 2 seconds, cheeky!

😁

I always use a snipe app, best way to get good prices as I can set my max and know that most people don't until they have to 😀 Not that I buy much PC stuff these days, I'm slowly selling off my massive collection as my health has got in the way of my collecting passions 🙁

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 52532 of 52803, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2024-04-10, 00:46:

Occasionally, rarely, I bought something sealed mostly on accident. I immediately opened it. No regrets.

I did the same with a NIB sealed Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, nothing I love more than opening such things and smelling that new old electronics smell, the feel of real paper manuals and just the general feeling of knowing none else but me has touched this hardware.

Was it worth more still sealed in box? .. maybe to the right collector and I guess thats the same for every other bit of NIB sealed hardware, its only ever worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, the trick is finding that one person who is willing to buy it at a price you think its worth. (This rarely happens even on ebay)

That card above still in its box, yup its rare, yes it may be the only one left still in its box .. but trying to place a value on that, you cant because what you think its worth matters little, what the market thinks is more important.

Reply 52533 of 52803, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not today, but a in the last weeks:
- MS-4118 Motherboard
- Ram and io-controller for above
- more ram, another io-controller and a VGA-card for abobe
- Finally, an Octek Rhino-9. The first motherboard I ever purchased.

Reply 52534 of 52803, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless I ever get my hands on something that I could sell for a lot, I'd rather just open the package and enjoy having some new old stock hardware that should last me awhile. Reliability due to less wear and tear is worth a lot to me.

Reply 52535 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-10, 01:47:
I did the same with a NIB sealed Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, nothing I love more than opening such things and smelli […]
Show full quote

Occasionally, rarely, I bought something sealed mostly on accident. I immediately opened it. No regrets.

I did the same with a NIB sealed Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, nothing I love more than opening such things and smelling that new old electronics smell, the feel of real paper manuals and just the general feeling of knowing none else but me has touched this hardware.

Was it worth more still sealed in box? .. maybe to the right collector and I guess thats the same for every other bit of NIB sealed hardware, its only ever worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, the trick is finding that one person who is willing to buy it at a price you think its worth. (This rarely happens even on ebay)

That card above still in its box, yup its rare, yes it may be the only one left still in its box .. but trying to place a value on that, you cant because what you think its worth matters little, what the market thinks is more important.

Personally, I've had very good results trying to find the people who want the rarest items and are willing to pay the prices I've valued them at. Those sales fund a pretty large chunk of my retro collecting budget and I'm very grateful for the people who are willing to trade their dollars for the time I spend scouring the internet for this stuff.

This particular item I don't see being hugely valuable because it's pretty obscure. Retro video-processing, mpeg and TV tuner cards have not had much of boost in popularity as far as I can tell. I have found myself getting more interested in tinkering with them myself over time since I'm starting to find fewer VGA cards and sound cards that I don't already have in my collection, but that doesn't impact their value really. The fact that this card has one of the best VLB video chips you can buy is just a bullet point feature, but if someone is a big Tseng or VLB fan, this could be a really interesting find.

Otherwise, if someone with huge collecting budget has a very large collection of complete boxes and absolutely must buy sealed boxes which they've never seen before, then yeah, items like this could be worth basically whatever they are listed for, within reason.

Of course, like you said, the value is what someone is willing to spend, which is why it is a careful balancing act to find the best prices for selling collectible oddities. I have been doing it for many years, and lots of people on my family do it in other fields. Yes it's a weird thing to have run in the family... 🤣 . That said, the fastest way to guarantee that you won't sell an item for a given price to a "sealed box collector" is to break the seal on the box.

Anyway, if I decide to bust into the thing I will definitely make a post about it. 😁

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2024-04-10, 05:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52536 of 52803, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:08:

Unless I ever get my hands on something that I could sell for a lot, I'd rather just open the package and enjoy having some new old stock hardware that should last me awhile. Reliability due to less wear and tear is worth a lot to me.

I recently bought a 2.3Gb Fujistsu Magneto Optical 3.5 drive thinking itll just be a refurbished model .. nope thing is brand new never been used still in its protective wrapping, has never been powered up either as its still in transport mode. Gotta love it when you get new items instead of the refurbished you were expecting.

MO drives and Discs are ultra reliable so thing drive and discs may just outlive me ..over 10 million Read Write cycles per Disc is just crazy.

Reply 52537 of 52803, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:30:
Personally, I've had very good results trying to find the people who want the rarest items and are willing to pay the prices I'v […]
Show full quote
I did the same with a NIB sealed Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Platinum Pro, nothing I love more than opening such things and smelli […]
Show full quote

Personally, I've had very good results trying to find the people who want the rarest items and are willing to pay the prices I've valued them at. Those sales fund a pretty large chunk of my retro collecting budget and I'm very grateful for the people who are willing to trade their dollars for the time I spend scouring the internet for this stuff.

This particular item I don't see being hugely valuable because it's pretty obscure. Retro video-processing, mpeg and TV tuner cards have not had much of boost in popularity as far as I can tell. I have found myself getting more interested in tinkering with them myself over time since I'm starting to find fewer VGA cards and sound cards that I don't already have in my collection, but that doesn't impact their value really. The fact that this card has one of the best VLB video chips you can buy is just a bullet point feature, but if someone is a big Tseng or VLB fan, this could be a really interesting find.

Otherwise, if someone with huge collecting budget has a very large collection of complete boxes and absolutely must buy sealed boxes which they've never seen before, then yeah, items like this could be worth basically whatever they are listed for, within reason.

Of course, like you said, the value is what someone is willing to spend, which is why it is a careful balancing act to find the best prices for selling collectible oddities. That said, the fastest way to guarantee that you won't sell an item for a given price to a "sealed box collector" is to break the seal on the box.

Anyway, if I decide to bust into the thing I will definitely make a post about it. 😁

The act is in finding a market with these Oilers in it 🤣, Australia has a very small market so for me hunting for a buyer would take a long time.

That said ...there are only 1 or 2 items I would ever pay crazy money for NIB.

Reply 52538 of 52803, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:32:
Personally, I've had very good results trying to find the people who want the rarest items and are willing to pay the prices I'v […]
Show full quote

Of course, like you said, the value is what someone is willing to spend, which is why it is a careful balancing act to find the best prices for selling collectible oddities. That said, the fastest way to guarantee that you won't sell an item for a given price to a "sealed box collector" is to break the seal on the box.

The act is in finding a market with these Oilers in it 🤣, Australia has a very small market so for me hunting for a buyer would take a long time.

Yes, it is definitely a very market dependent thing. I have actually sold a lot of items internationally in recent years, but I definitely prefer to keep things domestic (US) simply because of the risk of packages getting lost overseas, tampered with in customs or just plain stolen.

As for your short list of NIB items... Now I'm curious. 😁

Adlib Gold? Cyrix 5x86 133? IBM Music Feature? Unreleased Voodoo5 6000 retail box?

... wait, no. I bet it's this Trident card with the best box art ever!

PXL_20230316_101819163.jpg
Filename
File size
95.72 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

🤣

Reply 52539 of 52803, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:45:
Yes, it is definitely a very market dependent thing. I have actually sold a lot of items internationally in recent years, but I […]
Show full quote
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:32:
Show full quote

Yes, it is definitely a very market dependent thing. I have actually sold a lot of items internationally in recent years, but I definitely prefer to keep things domestic (US) simply because of the risk of packages getting lost overseas, tampered with in customs or just plain stolen.

As for your short list of NIB items... Now I'm curious. 😁

Adlib Gold? Cyrix 5x86 133? IBM Music Feature? Unreleased Voodoo5 6000 retail box?

... wait, no. I bet it's this Trident card with the best box art ever!
🤣

Oof on the Trident hate ...but no I wouldnt buy that card . .the box though is pretty cool, can I buy one empty ?

AMD K5 PR200 comes to mind and a NIB still sealed Ablib Gold 1000 are two items I would pay nicely for but I would also love to get my hands on one of the few working Fury MAXX DDR prototype cards, they are related to the Fury MAXX but use R6 cores instead of Rage128 cores.

I used to own a IBM 5170 with a 5153 CGA monitor a machine I loved and I would happily buy another if I could get one in box with Monitor, hard to imagine how much such a setup would cost as I doubt many still exist NIB. Sadly younger me had no idea I would ever want to use that machine again and it got tossed in the trash. Just thinking about it now and I can still hear the full height MFM drive spinning up and the grinding of the 5.25 floppy seeking followed by the soft beep as the system came to life.

I guess I could also include a Xeon X5698 which are 4.4Ghz dual core 1366 CPUs and Intel only made them for HP IIRC, I could buy one now but the prices for them are worth the price of a decent gaming PC but ..the fun I could have with that CPU .. two cores with a ton of headroom would make for a fun CPU to OC. (Current prices have them at a little over $1000 AUD)

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2024-04-10, 06:06. Edited 2 times in total.