Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5460 of 52822, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

7950GX2 is officially 143W TDP (it could not physically draw higher than 150W with its configuration), however various sources have asserted real-world is more like 110W TDP, and that nVidia over-stated the numbers. My HX 520 has similar specifications to the Antec, and runs QuadSLI just fine. The 9800 and 295 are substantially more power hungry devices.

I know the others are bigger and more powerful.. I just after reading that have always assumed multiple multi-core gpu's generally ain't to be used with multi-rail power units, I never use anything but single-rail units myself and I haven't had issues with any computer in years.

Reply 5461 of 52822, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Salvaged this poor thing from scrap today for 10 euros...

WP_20141116_11_10_34_Pro.jpg
Nice basic case. PSU and all drives missing, cover little bended but it could be saved.

WP_20141116_11_16_21_Pro.jpg
That says it all, I think it´s worth of saving

WP_20141116_11_09_03_Pro.jpg
Nice, mint condition P60 SX948, 8 megs of RAM and all seems to be ok. There was heatsink on the CPU which I removed, fan was missing from top of it.

WP_20141116_11_09_12_Pro.jpg
Pity this baby doesn´t have FDIV-bug. But you can´t get it all 😀

WP_20141116_11_10_06_Pro.jpg
These two cards were attached to the mb. Media Magic soundboard and Trident TGU1944 based videocard.

I think i´m going to borrow PSU from one old systems I have. I really going to test if this rig is possible to bring alive!

Reply 5462 of 52822, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something you don't see every day - a 60 MHz Pentium. Can't imagine there are really that many of those around, since the faster 486s were quicker and cheaper, and socket 4 was only around for one generation, so you wouldn't have had people fitting the CPUs as temporary solutions either. Intel didn't learn from Socket 4 - Socket 423 showed that.

Reply 5465 of 52822, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As somebody who owns a Pentium-60 rig, be prepared to have the temperature of the room you're using that rig in increase by a few degrees or so. 🤣

Seriously, though, those things are absolute blast furnaces. And yeah, the performance is certainly lacking compared to something like a later 486, or, heck, even a Pentium-75. All that being said, you don't see Socket 4 rigs every day, and I hope yours works!

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5466 of 52822, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seriously, i doubt if it works, but hey, i've got something to do couple of days 😀 and P60 is somekind of start of an era. And it's so beautiful...

Reply 5467 of 52822, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find, tokroger! That mainboard is the Batman's Revenge, which I still think is a really cool name for a board 😀
I have the same board here somewhere with an FDIV-bugged P60, but IIRC it doesn't work anymore.

Reply 5468 of 52822, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

Nice find, tokroger! That mainboard is the Batman's Revenge, which I still think is a really cool name for a board 😀
I have the same board here somewhere with an FDIV-bugged P60, but IIRC it doesn't work anymore.

Batman's Revenge...that sounds so cool 😀 didn't knew there was board named like that but Google proved You right. Everyday I learn something new i suppose 😁

Reply 5469 of 52822, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

I know the others are bigger and more powerful.. I just after reading that have always assumed multiple multi-core gpu's generally ain't to be used with multi-rail power units, I never use anything but single-rail units myself and I haven't had issues with any computer in years.

There's no reason to avoid a multi-rail unit with a multi-GPU card or multi-GPU system, as long as the PSU itself is high quality. And remember some "multi-rail" units are not actually separated internally (some of the Corsair units are like that, for example).

Reply 5471 of 52822, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found another Thermaltake Xaser case, its the Xaser III for my Athlon MP build for $45 but is missing the 3.5 drive rails (ouch).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5472 of 52822, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Finally found another Thermaltake Xaser case, its the Xaser III for my Athlon MP build for $45 but is missing the 3.5 drive rails (ouch).

I have one of those, mostly because they can fit an EATX motherboard. Nice case and the Thermaltake lights up. Are you using the fan console (I removed mine)?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5473 of 52822, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most P60/66 CPUs died because OEM's used a passive heatsink (they glued on) and a case fan to blow air over it. The case fans got dusty and died so the CPU fried. Packard Bell sold a ton of those systems and most are dead (mine still works). The CPU was the last of the 5VDC ones and the die was huge, they also sell well for gold scrap (PPRO being the #1) so there are few around anymore.

Reply 5475 of 52822, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181395145055?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT just bought this on a whim, anybody have any ideas on why it has a "vga terminator" and any information on this specific card? I have been digging around and have yet to find anything out about it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5476 of 52822, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ who knows if this "terminator" was used with the card... most likely it was just something that fitted the connector and the seller attached it, don't power the card with that thing plugged in the vga port. It could be a dummy connector to fool the card there is a monitor connected or it could be a firework starter 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5477 of 52822, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That card shouldn't need a VGA terminator with a monitor attached, but here's a basic explanations of what a VGA terminator does (and they are indeed a real thing):
http://www.cables4computer.com/Cabling_Produc … Terminator.html
http://www.mp3car.com/general-hardware-discus … is-present.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

You should have no problems booting the card with the connector attached; the card will think it has a monitor connected to it, but there's nothing to receive the output signal. I'd remove it and hook the card up to a monitor, personally. 😊

No idea about the specific card itself though. Got a bigger picture? (ebay won't let me blow the image up - it just wants to tell me the item is already sold).

Reply 5478 of 52822, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an IBM video capture card (PS/2 era) that needed a terminator on the XGA video card so it would work through its VGA connector.

MCA M-Motion:

"System Board Video Termination
Whenever a color display is attached to the VGA Display connector, the VGA Terminator plug MUST be installed in the system board display connector. Otherwise, the PS/2 VGA adapter will not recognize that a color display is attached to the M-MVA, and all VGA and video output will be displayed in monochrome (B&W). (Ed. Does this apply to a Base Video adapter like the XGA-2?)"

Reply 5479 of 52822, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some professional monitors/projectors don't have internal termination resistors (or a switch to disable them), to allow daisy-chaining multiple monitors. You would use a VGA terminator (basically three 75-ohm resistors) at the end of the chain to correct the impedance mismatch.
If you've ever used a VGA splitter with normal 75-ohm terminated monitors, you would know what an impedance mismatch looks like 😉