VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7980 of 52927, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Been looking for a S3 Vision based VLB card with 4MB capability for some time! Will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the DRAM based 864.

Did you plan to add results to Phil Vga Benchmark table?

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 7981 of 52927, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:
vetz wrote:

Been looking for a S3 Vision based VLB card with 4MB capability for some time! Will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the DRAM based 864.

Did you plan to add results to Phil Vga Benchmark table?

I will 😀 The 864 is already in there.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7982 of 52927, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Skyscrapper

Those cases might not have good ventilation,but i like the look on all of them,they have those classic beige computer case look.

Reply 7983 of 52927, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is still alive. 😲

Just keep on going, folks. Remember to include interesting pics with your post. 😀

Me, I think I already have everything I need -only the time to assemble them.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7984 of 52927, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this off ebay. Sealed, never opened....

IgDFPEF.jpg

This is the EXACT card I had when I had my 486DX2-66 system. I remember on Christmas morning opening up the present and it being this card. Guess what isn't going to be sealed this weekend? 😎

Last edited by dogchainx on 2015-06-16, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 7985 of 52927, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dogchainx wrote:
Bought this off ebay. Sealed, never opened.... […]
Show full quote

Bought this off ebay. Sealed, never opened....

IgDFPEF.jpg

This is the EXACT card I had when I had my 486DX2-66 system. I remember on Christmas morning opening up the present and it being this card. Guess what isn't going to be sealed this weekend?

Imo wait till christmas to open it 😜.

Reply 7986 of 52927, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is that mainboard? Looks interesting, onboard video with expandable memory?, LX chipset maybe? And are those white ISA slots?

Skyscraper wrote:
Some random crap http://u.cubeupload.com/jonaz81a/new1.jpg […]
Show full quote

Some random crap
new1.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 7987 of 52927, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:

What is that mainboard? Looks interesting, onboard video with expandable memory?, LX chipset maybe? And are those white ISA slots?

Skyscraper wrote:
Some random crap http://u.cubeupload.com/jonaz81a/new1.jpg […]
Show full quote

Some random crap
new1.jpg

Some IBM board, you are right about it beeing a LX chipset motherboard and the CPU is a P2 233. The board also has some Crystal audio chips so with luck it has decent MIDI capabilities. It could probably be a nice DOS system with a Mendocino Celeron 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7988 of 52927, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. They actually have a 'best before' date on the packaging, it's 03-2018 😀

kithylin wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

And got some cheap new batteries in the supermarket. Does anyone have experience with quality differences in the CR2032 batteries? (8 for 85 cents is suspiciously cheap).
<snip>

None of these are rechargeable so it doesn't matter. As long as they say cr2032 go with it. You might want to check em with a volt meter before popping em in though and make sure they still have 3.0v - 3.33v, I've bought some super cheap before that I guess had been sitting in a store for 10 years or something but they were all almost dead even though they were new in package.

1982 to 2001

Reply 7989 of 52927, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Some IBM board, you are right about it beeing a LX chipset motherboard and the CPU is a P2 233. The board also has some Crystal audio chips so with luck it has decent MIDI capabilities. It could probably be a nice DOS system with a Mendocino Celeron 😀

Ah, cool. Than that's the IBM's PSU on the left probably 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 7990 of 52927, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Yes, made by Delta.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7991 of 52927, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Yes made by Delta.

Have fun with you new stuff, it's a nice collection!

1982 to 2001

Reply 7992 of 52927, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is less "bought" these retro hardware and more "your free gift with purchase." I found a local guy prepping for an interstate move by clearing out a lot of stuff he had collecting dust. In this case, it was a rather substantial collection of boxed PC games, some of which had never had the seals broken. This ranged from 5.25" floppy games up to CD-ROM and even a few DVD-ROM titles. Pretty much an instant collection.

Now, unfortunately for him (and fortunately for me), he'd had very few bites on the stuff he was trying to sell off, so me arriving cash-in-hand meant that he basically asked, "Do you just want to take this stuff? I'll throw it in for free." Of course, I tried to hold back the excited squealing, etc. as it wouldn't have been dignified.

Only some of this is useful for my current P200 MMX rig, but since I wanted to set up a PIII rig down the road, a lot of these pieces will save me some hunting.

IMG_0127.JPG
Filename
IMG_0127.JPG
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So, here we have four sound cards with boxes, software and documentation (clockwise from top-left):

-Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer (not familiar with this card)
-Roland Sound Canvas DB (SCD-15)
-Sound Blaster 16 (CT2980)
-Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I've already installed the SB16 and Roland in my P200 and they seem to be working alright, if causing the odd anomaly here and there. I'm going to have to play with jumper settings, methinks as MIDI playback is incredibly quiet compared to the digital sound playback and both are pretty low in level, even if this is line output. I've actually been debating pairing the Roland with my Yamaha Audician card instead of the SB, but that'll come later if I opt for it.

IMG_0128.JPG
Filename
IMG_0128.JPG
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here's the mostly PIII relevant stuff. Again, clockwise from top-left:

-Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2
-Verto G-Force FX 5700 LE
-This is an OEM card - labelled Velocity 128BIT OEM PC/TV Nvidia. I'm not familiar but it could be useful for capturing gameplay footage.
-Nvidia Xtasy 6564

I'm really not particularly familiar with ANY of these as this is the hardware that gained prevalence after I'd dropped out of PC gaming in the late '90s, but I did think the Voodoo 2 card could be of some use once I got Win98 running on the P200 for early 3d accelerated titles. Any suggestions on the rest?

Reply 7993 of 52927, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WHAT THE......SOUND CANVAS SCD-15???

That thing has taken me FOREVER to find, and even then, not in its original box! Lucky duck!

Reply 7994 of 52927, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um... Am I to take it that it's a good one? =D

Seriously, I have NO idea about these things. I would have been happy just to score a decent SB16, let alone with a daughterboard.

Reply 7995 of 52927, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Runicen wrote:

Seriously, I have NO idea about these things. I would have been happy just to score a decent SB16, let alone with a daughterboard.

roland sound hardware have been going for insane prices lately online, like $200+ insane. At least the ISA cards..not sure about that roland midi board. Do those plug in to just any old sound card?

Reply 7996 of 52927, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok thanks for the pointers. I'll try the coolers I have first and will check the temps. Not into overclocking, so hopefully the coolers I have will do the job.

Arrived today!

NIB Pentium III 1 GHz Slot 1

CaGSvahh.jpg

NIB Athlon XP motherboard with VIA KT600 chipset:

YOHTtlah.jpg

MCTZjnWh.jpg

YwZH5t8h.jpg

yxzjc18h.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7997 of 52927, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Runicen wrote:

roland sound hardware have been going for insane prices lately online, like $200+ insane. At least the ISA cards..not sure about that roland midi board. Do those plug in to just any old sound card?

Wow... yeah, that'll do it.

And I have no idea about "any old" sound card, but the Yamaha does seem to have the same pins as the SB16 for a daughterboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't have holes appropriately spaced for the plastic offset pins to secure the thing, but that's neither here nor there for the moment.

Reply 7998 of 52927, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up what I thought to be an old PC sound device for 99 cents, it is labelled "Perfect Sound by SunRize Industries" and has two RCA style audio jacks on one end and a serial port on the other. I looked it up and it turned out to be an Amiga stereo external sound sampler!

Are these rare? (Pictures coming soon)

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7999 of 52927, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Runicen wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Wow... yeah, that'll do it.

And I have no idea about "any old" sound card, but the Yamaha does seem to have the same pins as the SB16 for a daughterboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't have holes appropriately spaced for the plastic offset pins to secure the thing, but that's neither here nor there for the moment.

Yeah, I bought my Roland SCD-15 (55) for around $135 shipped halfway across the world...bare card, not too long ago. I've been looking for one for the past two years and kicking myself for having sold my original one back in 1999 for something like $20-30!

Runicen...uh....wanting to sell it? 🤣 😎