Topic actions

Reply 8940 of 52813, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Nice finds Artex!

The 2MB Monster daughterboard still sounds pretty good IMHO.

Thanks! I've actually never heard the original 2MB version before. I love my Ensoniq and Roland stuff too much to change! :p

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8941 of 52813, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

I love my Ensoniq and Roland stuff too much to change! :p

Fair enough too! I'm a recent-ish convert to sound fonts for GM after having tried various forms of hardware. There's just something about using fonts that makes me feel clever 😜

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8942 of 52813, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a MT32 at a local yard sale for $40. I thought I had a great deal until I got home and found out it doesn't power up. 🙁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8943 of 52813, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I posted images of a box full of memory I won on the Swedish Ebay clone Tradera a few days ago.

How much memory do you get for ~30 Euro? Quite a lot it seems...

Inside_the_memory_box.JPG

I spent more for 4x4MB 60ns... 🙁

Reply 8944 of 52813, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone know where I can find a service manual for the MT-32? I hope the dead one I picked up can still be repaired.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8945 of 52813, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a service manual for the MT-32? I hope the dead one I picked up can still be repaired.

http://www.synfo.nl/pages/servicemanuals.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8947 of 52813, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I've got some (good?) news. The power supply that came with the MT-32 is dead. Which means the MT-32 itself may or may not be working, depending on whether the bad power supply fried something on the motherboard when it went. I looked inside, nothing seems burned, but of course that doesn't mean anything.

I will need to find a compatible PS before I do more testing.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8948 of 52813, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the Monster Sound 2MB module. It should be the one I have made recordings from:
http://www.amoretro.de/2014/02/diamond-monste … a-adwave32.html
It sounds mediocre.. it is ok to begin with but no match for Yamaha / Roland / Korg / Ensoniq.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 8949 of 52813, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked this lot up on ebay the other day. Now just need a some Voodoo love and a case for it.

Asus P5A Rev 1.04 Socket 7 ATX Motherboard - ALi M1541 A1 100 MHz
I/O Shield for Motherboard
AMD K6III 400MHz w/CPU Heatsink & Fan
384MB RAM (3X 128MB SDRAM PC133)
6 GB IDE Hard Drive
ATi Rage IIC AGP Video Card
3Com 10/100 PCI Network Card
ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive / DOS Emulation Onboard Audio

Reply 8950 of 52813, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last week there were two auctions with video cards I wanted but didn't win on the Swedish auction site Tradera. I have a habit of throwing in a minimum bid of 1kr = ~0.1 euro on every other interesting auction a seller has if I'm going to bid on something and I think I'm going to win. I ended up winning lots of auctions with 1-6 items each for next to nothing, all shipped in one big box 😀.

Here are a sample of the items.

Random_crap.JPG
Filename
Random_crap.JPG
File size
4.26 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This Adaptec AHA-1542CP SCSI card seems nice as it has a built in floppy controller making other I/O-cards except for a single COM port unnecessary in a 286 or 386 system 😀.

AHA-1542CP.JPG
Filename
AHA-1542CP.JPG
File size
4.39 MiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8951 of 52813, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AHA1524CF is my favorite PC expansion card. Been using one since 1996, still going strong.

In other news, my seemingly dead MT-32 sprung to life when hooked to a working power supply. I connected it to my 486 gaming computer through a SB16 (CT2290) and fired up Frontier:Elite 2 to listen to its LA-synthetized music in all its glory in a non-emulated manner.

I love happy endings. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8952 of 52813, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this pc today.

20150912_120107.jpg
Filename
20150912_120107.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license

It has a asus p55t2p4 motherboard a pentium 166mhz, 48mb 72pin sim memory, daimond stealth 64 pci 2 mb vram with 2 mb memory expansion card, a als100 soundcard and a daimond 33k modem. No hdd. For 10 euro.

Reply 8953 of 52813, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Last week there were two auctions with video cards I wanted but didn't win on the Swedish auction site Tradera. I have a habit o […]
Show full quote

Last week there were two auctions with video cards I wanted but didn't win on the Swedish auction site Tradera. I have a habit of throwing in a minimum bid of 1kr = ~0.1 euro on every other interesting auction a seller has if I'm going to bid on something and I think I'm going to win. I ended up winning lots of auctions with 1-6 items each for next to nothing, all shipped in one big box 😀.

Random_crap.JPG

This Adaptec AHA-1542CP SCSI card seems nice as it has a built in floppy controller making other I/O-cards except for a single COM port unnecessary in a 286 or 386 system 😀.

AHA-1542CP.JPG

That CT4620 is a nice purchase. I have that exact model, and I feel that it is the best Live out there in the wild.
It has that expansioncard, and it has golden jack's and it never ever failed the installer in windows.
The Dos compatibility is great (as great as TSR driven SB16 emulation can be), as it just works nice for those EMM386 based games.
Well... Except for a few games like Duke3D. If you wish to play doom as the only Dos game in pure Dos, then this is it.
MT32 emulation is nicely emulated. Not as good as the real deal. By far. Just that some MT32 Dos-games sound's good.
Actually better than AWE64 gold when Roland emulation is compared.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8954 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm glad this thread is still alive, but I think it needs more pictures.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8958 of 52813, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Random_crap.JPG

What is the triangular card in the photo?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8959 of 52813, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Random_crap.JPG

What is the triangular card in the photo?

I'm pretty sure that's a SCSI controller for some scanner.