VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9400 of 52970, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that card. Mine does not run at 50MHz and presents a flashing red screen.

I suspect it is a case of some will, some won't. Orchid made a version of the Trio 64 which proudly stated on its silkscreen that they had "Certified 50MHz Operation" apparently. I do not have a photo, so you'll have to take my word for it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9401 of 52970, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to say that expecting to find a 386DX system for €10-15 is a bit daft. You might get lucky, but it's unlikely.

I have a buddy who runs a recycling center and I can get 386DX CPU+Mobo+ram for about 10-12 euro. The only thing is they're rare. I've only scored two, and both motherboards were defective. I fixed one, it was pretty easy - a couple of capacitors, the RTC crystal and a resistor were missing, and two of the memory slots had broken clips. I replaced them and the machine runs just fine. I have a thread here on vogons about it. The chip is an intel 25MHz DX and the motherboard is an old Morse Technologies Chips based deal w/o cache. Even Dune 2 will run poorly when more then 10 units are on screen at the same time.

The other one came covered in mud, with some cache chips missing and will not post. I've spotted a missing capacitor and two broken traces (deep scratch) but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. It's a 33MHz intel 386 DX + a motherboard with an Eteq chipset and cache.

I also got two 33MHz AMD SX motherboard with headland chipset and soldered CPUs. Payed like 15 euro for both.

Reply 9402 of 52970, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
I have a buddy who runs a recycling center and I can get 386DX CPU+Mobo+ram for about 10-12 euro. The only thing is the're rare. […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

Yeah, I'd have to say that expecting to find a 386DX system for €10-15 is a bit daft. You might get lucky, but it's unlikely.

I have a buddy who runs a recycling center and I can get 386DX CPU+Mobo+ram for about 10-12 euro. The only thing is the're rare. I've only scored two, and both motherboards were defective. I fixed one, it was pretty easy - a couple of capacitors, the RTC crystal and a resistor were missing, and two of the memory slots had broken clips. I replaced them and the machine runs just fine. I have a thread here on vogons about it. The chip is an intel 25MHz DX and the motherboard is an old Morse Technologies Chips based deal w/o cache. Even Dune 2 will run poorly when more then 10 units are on screen at the same time.

The other one came covered in mud, with some cache chips missing and will not post. I've spotted a missing capacitor and two broken traces (deep scratch) but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. It's a 33MHz intel 386 DX + a motherboard with an Eteq chipset and cache.

I also got two 33MHz AMD SX motherboard with headland chipset and soldered CPUs. Payed like 15 euro for both.

That's a little different though. I'm more thinking along the lines of things that are actually known to work, whilst you're referring to things that both come from a recycling centre and thus are totally untested, and are probably being bought on mates' rates (or at least getting first dibs on things).

Reply 9403 of 52970, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here comes a short rant!

To the Italian person who sold me this lot.

1. Its not the best idea to display PC hardware laying on a carpet on the floor.

2. Packaging memory modules and heatsinks non fixed in the same little box is an even worse idea.

3. Selling rusty stuff dirty enough to make me think the items comes straight from the dump as Used* is not a good idea if you have not tested them.

4. When selling such items its a good idea to provide good pictures so I can spot things like rust and the missing BIOS + RTC chips on the i430FX board.

5. I only bought used PC parts and NOT the very nice Black Widow sized and looking spider the package also included.

*Used - "An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections"

The sellers not at all representative picture of the items.

Lot_with_random_stuff.JPG
Filename
File size
300.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

End rant. 😀

Now I need to test if any of these items work.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-10-19, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9404 of 52970, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With respect, if you're buying something that is pictured in such a way, you're kinda inviting things like complaint 4 (and to an extent, 3). No excuse for the shitty packaging and the random spider inside the packaging though, although the latter may not be the seller's fault.

Reply 9405 of 52970, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

With respect, if you're buying something that is pictured in such a way, you're kinda inviting things like complaint 4 (and to an extent, 3). No excuse for the shitty packaging and the random spider inside the packaging though, although the latter may not be the seller's fault.

Many sellers display stuff in such half assed way and I have no issues with sellers selling untested stuff found outside in the rain but the items should be sold as "For parts or not working" with the note "untested" in the description.

"For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended or is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details."

When an item is sold as "Used" its suppsed to be tested and working. Im not very upset though as the price was low thats why Im posting this short rant here. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 9406 of 52970, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these speakers by Trust "Dynamic Soundwave 20", € 5: I remember them, when I was little they were quite common, there's some control over equalization - installed on my build Windows 98 SE, they seems to work well:

20151019_007.jpg

...and for € 10 this boxed multimedia kit by Creative, "Encore Dxr2 DVD", I can only vaguely remember this particular kit in some magazine at the time... I think it was expensive: a Win95 kit for playing first DVDs on the PC, as it contains DVD + decoder card in this format. Everything seems to have been never used, with no signs of use and all sealed (box a part):

20151019_009.jpg

20151019_010.jpg

20151019_011.jpg

20151019_002.jpg

20151019_001.jpg

20151019_004.jpg

"...SCREAMING at 2x SPEED!"

20151019_012.jpg

Aww... I love so much to find and collect things like these ones... the ones that I could not afford at the time or because I didn't have a machine that could support them... even just talking about this makes me happy, this forum is really awesome (and to my knowledge the last bastion of this kind of love ).

Reply 9407 of 52970, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice one on the Creative DXR-2 kit, I'm actually looking for one of those! I remember those Trust speakers too 😀
time for a DVD night then, Matrix matbe, it's about the right era 😉

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9409 of 52970, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Here comes a short rant! […]
Show full quote

Here comes a short rant!

To the Italian person who sold me this lot.

1. Its not the best idea to display PC hardware laying on a carpet on the floor.

2. Packaging memory modules and heatsinks non fixed in the same little box is an even worse idea.

3. Selling rusty stuff dirty enough to make me think the items comes straight from the dump as Used* is not a good idea if you have not tested them.

4. When selling such items its a good idea to provide good pictures so I can spot things like rust and the missing BIOS + RTC chips on the i430FX board.

5. I only bought used PC parts and NOT the very nice Black Widow sized and looking spider the package also included.

*Used - "An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections"

The sellers not at all representative picture of the items.

End rant. 😀

I remeber years ago buying a replacement set of clocks for an old Yamaha motorcycle from Japan, speedo & rev counter, all arrived safe, fitted them both and used the bike on & off over that summer, about a month in, inside the Rev counter became visible some green & orange legs, over the space of a few days a HUGE bright green and orange spider hatched inside the clocks glass. I took the clock off and took him to the local zoo where he found a home in the arachnid display.
Anyway, hope you get some usable stuff out of that purchase, the 486 SX2 chip is kinda interesting, not seen one of those for a long, long time.
Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9410 of 52970, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Indrid Cold wrote:
Bought these speakers by Trust "Dynamic Soundwave 20", € 5: I remember them, when I was little they were quite common, there's s […]
Show full quote

Bought these speakers by Trust "Dynamic Soundwave 20", € 5: I remember them, when I was little they were quite common, there's some control over equalization - installed on my build Windows 98 SE, they seems to work well:

20151019_007.jpg

...and for € 10 this boxed multimedia kit by Creative, "Encore Dxr2 DVD", I can only vaguely remember this particular kit in some magazine at the time... I think it was expensive: a Win95 kit for playing first DVDs on the PC, as it contains DVD + decoder card in this format. Everything seems to have been never used, with no signs of use and all sealed (box a part):

20151019_009.jpg

20151019_010.jpg

20151019_011.jpg

20151019_002.jpg

20151019_001.jpg

20151019_004.jpg

"...SCREAMING at 2x SPEED!"

20151019_012.jpg

Aww... I love so much to find and collect things like these ones... the ones that I could not afford at the time or because I didn't have a machine that could support them... even just talking about this makes me happy, this forum is really awesome (and to my knowledge the last bastion of this kind of love ).

Awesome that decoder card. At those times I was so fascinated by these accelerator card cause my K6-2 could not even think to decode mpeg2 stream smoothly even with the fastest player.
I had and still have the Dxr3 and it was like night and day. There were also other brand doing these card, I would have tried them all. 😁

Reply 9411 of 52970, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just arrived today. NOS Maxtor 7213AT -$14+free shipping. Seller described item as "never used", which appears to be quite correct. There's not a single scratch on the paint, or worn / torn labels. Looks like it came in the original plastic packaging and padding as well. It looks so nice that I almost don't even want to use it. 😁

Maxtor7213AT_01_zpsdfsz9zqh.jpg

Reply 9412 of 52970, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
Many sellers display stuff in such half assed way and I have no issues with sellers selling untested stuff found outside in the […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

Many sellers display stuff in such half assed way and I have no issues with sellers selling untested stuff found outside in the rain but the items should be sold as "For parts or not working" with the note "untested" in the description.

"For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended or is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details."

When an item is sold as "Used" its suppsed to be tested and working. Im not very upset though as the price was low thats why Im posting this short rant here. 😀

Well, yeah, but let's be brutally honest; it's not worth paying attention to the used/refurbished/for parts or not working bit anyway. Half the time sellers don't use it properly; either in the way you describe, or they'll describe something as "parts/not working" just because it needs a charger/cable, etc. I myself sell things as used even though I could technically advertise them as being seller refurbished.

Reply 9413 of 52970, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Many sellers display stuff in such half assed way and I have no issues with sellers selling untested stuff found outside in the […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

Well, yeah, but let's be brutally honest; it's not worth paying attention to the used/refurbished/for parts or not working bit anyway. Half the time sellers don't use it properly; either in the way you describe, or they'll describe something as "parts/not working" just because it needs a charger/cable, etc. I myself sell things as used even though I could technically advertise them as being seller refurbished.

They sell the stuff as 'for parts, not working' because there will always be someone who tries to do a return even when the description says that all sales are final with no warranty and then submits an 'item not as described' complaint when the seller points that out to him. There will also be the occasional dishonest buyer who tries to swap your working part for his non-working one and then complains to ebay to get his money back. Checking off 'for parts, not working' instead of 'used' when creating the listing allows the seller to sidestep around that hassle. If the part works, great, but if it doesn't then you own it and can't complain to ebay about it because it said not working right in the listing. Just because the listing says 'for parts, not working' doesn't always mean that the part doesn't work, it may just mean that the seller doesn't want to be hassled with returns or scammers. The scrap CPU and motherboard listings are like that. Most likely the parts will work, you just can't return them or get a refund if they don't.

Reply 9414 of 52970, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Come on now! That spider is at LEAST a $15 bonus to your purchase. 🤣

Reply 9416 of 52970, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Brilliant! How far did you jump?

Skyscraper wrote:

Don't pretend you don't enjoy every minute 😉

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9417 of 52970, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
Brilliant! How far did you jump? […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Skyscraper wrote:

Actually spiders dosnt bother me but as it really was Black Widow looking and Black Widow sized I reached for a newspaper to give it a smack, the thing is I could not find the (hopefully) flat spider after I tried to smash it.

I have not yet managed to test the stuff from the Italian recycling center/dump/roadside yet as I also got some not as "dirty and rusty" hardware in some other packages the last couple of days.

Reply 9419 of 52970, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:
Brilliant! How far did you jump? […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

Skyscraper wrote:

Actually spiders dosnt bother me but as it really was Black Widow looking and Black Widow sized I reached for a newspaper to give it a smack, the thing is I could not find the (hopefully) flat spider after I tried to smash it.

I have not yet managed to test the stuff from the Italian recycling center/dump/roadside yet as I also got some not as "dirty and rusty" hardware in some other packages the last couple of days.

Next time: smack the hardware and picture the spider! 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1