VOGONS

First post, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For years, many Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro joystick owners have been unable to use their controllers in Win9x systems because the Microsoft driver (SW3DPRO.VXD) does not function properly on systems with FSB speeds of 100 MHz or higher. Microsoft has never provided an effective solution for the problem, and support for all Win9x OSes was terminated years ago. As someone who owns several SideWinder 3D Pro sticks and who still plays games on Win98 SE, I got fed up with not being able to use the sticks to their full potential, so I decided to do something about it.

I have put together a package of SW3DPRO.VXD replacement drivers in which the timing values have been adjusted to permit the drivers to function on a variety of Win9x systems with substantially higher performance than the original Microsoft driver. I have successfully used the drivers to get the SW 3D Pro to work on machines up to a Pentium III 933 MHz CPU with a 133 MHz FSB (the fastest Win9x system available to me), and the drivers will hopefully support much faster systems as well. Note that the drivers will only work on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME. Newer versions of Windows are not supported (sorry).

File info on the ZIP archive (sw3dp10.zip) is as follows:
260320 bytes
md5: 60d5b0496fdf8ee332da0353355d817f
sha1: 0b75dcf6c0066d01fdc0bfab5cb90960c4a90730

Feedback is appreciated, particularly for systems faster than those tested by the author.

Attachments

• Filename
    sw3dp10.zip
    File size
    254.22 KiB
    Downloads
    2534 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by akula65 on 2008-03-07, 18:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should post this over at the MSFN forums too if you haven't already. Should be a big hit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 16, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-04-03, 13:53:

Glad you (and others) still find it useful. Thanks to VOGONS and Wing Commander CIC for continuing to host it for so many years.

I think I might have spoken too soon. I've tried 4 of the '0' folder versions, the patch, and no luck. I wonder if its to do with my Aureal Vortex 8830 Gameport?

Reply 6 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have no idea what the upper bound is on the driver set. Most people who provide feedback are using systems slower than the fastest that I used for development.
Don't jump to conclusions based on a handful of the drivers. You need to go through them systematically. It's tedious, but there is no way around it.
If your soundcard has timing that deviates substantially from a SoundBlaster Live!, then that may be problematic. Other system hardware with "unusual" timing may also cause problems.

Reply 7 of 16, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-04-03, 14:44:

I still have no idea what the upper bound is on the driver set. Most people who provide feedback are using systems slower than the fastest that I used for development.
Don't jump to conclusions based on a handful of the drivers. You need to go through them systematically. It's tedious, but there is no way around it.
If your soundcard has timing that deviates substantially from a SoundBlaster Live!, then that may be problematic. Other system hardware with "unusual" timing may also cause problems.

So when it works, if I go into game options, it'll say connected? Like thats what I should expect?

Reply 8 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, persistently "Connected" means that the stick has entered Digital Mode and should be working fully. "Not Connected" or waffling between "Not Connected" and "Connected" states is a sign that the driver timing is off and the stick is failing to enter Digital Mode and can only be used in Analog Mode.

Reply 9 of 16, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-04-03, 22:52:

Right, persistently "Connected" means that the stick has entered Digital Mode and should be working fully. "Not Connected" or waffling between "Not Connected" and "Connected" states is a sign that the driver timing is off and the stick is failing to enter Digital Mode and can only be used in Analog Mode.

hmm, I'm starting to wonder if mine is broken. I swapped out to the Sound Blaster Live, and went through all the '0's (not 99 yet, but will) but even in the Analog Mode, it doesn't show up as Connected [is it supposed to in analog mode?]

Reply 10 of 16, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I dropped the FSB down to 66mhz. Didn't work. Decided to do a full reinstallation of the Live! drivers. Showed up 'okay'. Switched back to 100mhz, not connected. So I'm going to go through again, now that I know it functions in SOME way, and see if I can get it. Thanks again for doing all of this, and even responding to my messages in here.

Reply 11 of 16, by stry8993

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

23 - '0' is what worked for me.

System specs are:
Abit BH6
Pentium III 800MHz Slot-1
256MB SDRAM 100MHz CL2
Radeon 7200 32MB SDR
2x Voodoo2 8MB SLi
Sound Blaster Live! (had Diamond Monster MX300 prior, it wouldn't work with that Cards Gameport, so be advised)
D-Link Wireless G Network Adapter

Reply 12 of 16, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great to hear you got it working, and thanks for the info on which drivers work. If I had known your system specs, I would have suggested starting at the slow end of the drivers (higher folder numbers).

stry8993 wrote on 2021-04-04, 08:39:

Sound Blaster Live! (had Diamond Monster MX300 prior, it wouldn't work with that Cards Gameport, so be advised)

I wasn't familiar with this card, but I just noticed this in a review (http://www.dansdata.com/MX300.htm):

If you're a joystick user, check to make sure your stick will work with the MX300's subtly non-standard game port. Apparently because of the card's 3.3 volt architecture, the game port is incompatible with some older sticks. The original 1997 Monster Sound was renowned for being incompatible with pretty much any joystick you care to name; the MX300 is much, much better but still not perfect.

So that sound card may be great for sound, but it is likely to be problematic for (digital) joystick users in general.

Reply 13 of 16, by kodt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was not able to get it working with any of the drivers on this system:

ABIT NF7-S V2.0 Motherboard (nForce 2)
Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2GHZ / 266 FSB
1GB Ram
Windows 98 SE
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

I suspect this system is too fast.

I have a P2 350mhz system I will test on at a later date.

Reply 14 of 16, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This file is certainly worth lQQking into.... i too have the M$ SindWinder 3D Pro joystick and its completely functional in my WIN95c P200 system, but when connected to my WIN98se P3 1.4ghz tualatin system along with the joystick's original driver installed, the bottom 4buttons refuse to register after calibrating, so only the fire button , top hat button and the button just below it, side 2 buttons and throttle lever work.

To be fair... it works just dandy as is when playing "Star Wars : Rogue Squadron 3D" in WIN98se.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 15 of 16, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, this worked for me as well! 16 was the lucky number for me, with following specs:

CHAINTECH CT-7AIA (VIA KT133)
Athlon XP 2400+ @ 1,5GHZ / 200 FSB (yes, it's underclocked, because of motherboard limitations)
1GB RAM
Windows 98 SE
ESS ES 1869F

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 16 of 16, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For my Win95/98 PC, running a 1000mhz PIII, all these drivers seemed to work. Ended up using the July '95 drivers for the Win95 partition. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's the physical hardware or a possible software issue that's causing a slight drift in the down-right direction on the joystick itself. Noticed it in Joystick mode with Fury3 and Hellbender