VOGONS

Voodoo2 vs. Voodoo3/5

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 67, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative Labs had a GlideSwitcher utility for their cards. Here is the info page at FalconFly's site:

http://www.falconfly.de/info/Readme-CreativeG … ideSwitcher.txt

Here is the link for the utility itself (889 KB):

http://www.falconfly.de/downloads/Creative-GlideSwitcher.zip

I have no idea if it would work on anything but Creative Blaster 3D products

Reply 43 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote:

I have no idea if it would work on anything but Creative Blaster 3D products

Hypothetically it should work with any 3dfx card, because what it does is basically swapping Glide files.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 44 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if it is just a matter of what glide file you are using couldn't you just drop in the correct file in the application directory.. and then whatever game you want to play would be trained? seems like a better solution than screwing with the files in the system directory. i would really rather stay away for a separate program for switching stuff all the time.. its bad enough i'll have to dual boot... i'm lazy like that. i guess realistically it like a triple boot if i ever quit out to dos... even if win98 to dos and back isn't time or labor consuming.

Reply 45 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

if it is just a matter of what glide file you are using couldn't you just drop in the correct file in the application directory..

Yes we could. IIRC a Windows application looks for .dll in its own directory first before looking in WINDOWS\System32

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 46 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i got the the voodoo2's installed and chugging along.. and i have to say so far i'm really impressed. Using the latest fastvoodoo drivers 4.6 i think. One thing that does have me peeved is how if i turn up the gamma past a certain point it screws with the colors... some kind of blending or dithering error. At first i thought it was the drivers but lower gamma it goes away and everything is perfect. This effect is minor on unreal... but annoying on deus ex (makes it hard to read text) Right now i'm using this really crappy sony monitor that is really dark.. hence the reason i turn the gamma up. Even tried to update the glide files to the beta koolsmokey ones. In the long term i'm going to get a nice 19" lcd that runs 1024x768 native.. but in the mean time its a bummer. All in all i'm still happy with it.. still going to pounce on a v5 pci when a good deal comes along. More important right now is a faster proc, more/better memory.. and a more modernized gfx card for 2d/d3d duties.

So if anyone knows about this gamma issue and a workaround please share. I'll even try to grab some screenshots when its not 5 in the morning.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 47 of 67, by Menkau_ra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree that V5 is awesome when you are talking about Glide+AA! Looks great! So maybe lets make a list of Glide games that doesn't work with Voodoo5? Maybe if you play only certain games you won't need Voodoo2?
So what is your list of games that have problems to work on V5 in glide mode?

Reply 48 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whoa Necro!!

I find myself playing all kinds of random stuff, but right now I'm mainly using my V5. At some point I'll just have 2 different machines. The two retro games I play on a regular basis are UT99 and Diablo 2.

This is what I currently have together:

MSI K3V -- KT333 chipset
mobile Athlon XP 2500+
1GB DDR2 266 CL2
Voodoo5 5500
Monster Sound MX300
60GB WD 7200rpm

Hopefully get this project back on track:
P5A -- Ali based socket 7
Pentium MMX 233
TNT2 Ultra 32mb
Voodoo2 SLI
Awe64

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 49 of 67, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the matter affect, Civilization 4 is a pretty demanding game. I remember playing it on Barton@2.3Ghz on 230 FSB Abit NF7-S and a Radeon 9700 pro and it would still run terribly slow when medium-large world is used. Dunno how you imagined it would work on a retro 1.4 Ghz Athlon, SDRAM and a non PS graphics 😒
Retro machines are used for retro stuff and Civ4 is definitely not one if it 😀

Reply 50 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I first started playing it I had a 2.6ghz P4 and a Radeon 7000, as long as the graphics wren't too high it was fine. My roommate played it on a 1ghz Athlon, it was kinda slow but still playable. He was using a DDR rig, so that might have helped. It runs fine on my rocket setup, even with high settings and AAx4.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 51 of 67, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not saying its not playable. I'm just saying that I used to wait at least 5 minutes until computer finished its movements so I could continue my turn. And this is the reason I ended up hating that game... It was more or less ok with a few computer opponents, but I like playing vs full stack.

And im still playing Civ3 + expansions 😉

Reply 52 of 67, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I loved Civ2 back in the day but when 4 came out, seemed like the game played by itself -seemed easy. (maybe cause I played on default 😜 ) Then sold it right away while it was still worth something. I recently bought Civ3 and just couldn't get into it either. 🙁 I was hoping to get that Civ2 feeling back again.

Oh wait I thought this was a Civ thread 😲

Reply 53 of 67, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, now that you mention it, Civ2 was indeed one of the hardest civ's. I also remember having trouble playing at emperor level. And those little advisors and world wonders videos were plain awesome at that time.

Reply 54 of 67, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
prophase_j wrote:

I ended up getting an EPOX board that is almost identical to the Abit.

Would that be the KTA3+(Pro)? A very nice board, had one of these for years (survived 4 CPUs, from Duron 800 up to AXP 1700+). Could do 150 MHz FSB easily. Those were the days... 😉

I once had an Epox 8KTA3+ board and the stability was rock solid! An extremely good board but i sold the whole system some years ago.

Anyway back on topic... I personally prefer 2 x 12mb Voodoo 2's in SLI 😎 the Voodoo 5 is also a great card and i never really liked the Voodoo 3.

Reply 55 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like Voodoo3 more than V2 for a few reasons.

-no passthru and that always means better 2D
-higher resolutions in 3D due to more RAM and smarter usage of it
-it has excellent 2D, as good as anything else from those days
-its DOS performance is superb as well, if a bit troublesome sometimes
-none of the V3 cards are slower than V2 SLI.
-fewer components and smaller size, greater integration with no loss

Heck I even think Banshee was decent. If you needed 2D and 3D, it was cheap and did the job well for the price at the time. You could definitely do far worse, especially from the compatibility perspective in those Glide days.

Reply 56 of 67, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My brother had an AGP Voodoo Banshee in the 380MHz Athlon/VIA system that he built a year or two after I built my Intel PII-450 + AGP nVidia TNT1 system. It seemed to be a decent card at the time.

Reply 57 of 67, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

My brother had an AGP Voodoo Banshee in the 380MHz Athlon/VIA system that he built a year or two after I built my Intel PII-450 + AGP nVidia TNT1 system. It seemed to be a decent card at the time.

If you were a gamer on a budget and wanted Glide capability the Banshee was an OK single card Glide solution. Voodoo 2 was still faster but more expensive, plus you know, you had to have a 2D card too.