VOGONS

Voodoo2 vs. Voodoo3/5

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 67, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a KTA3+ that I picked up cheap as a refurb but I could never get it to output anything; very annoying.

prophase: I did mention elsewhere that I have an extra Voodoo 5 to slough off, btw...

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 21 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
prophase_j wrote:

I ended up getting an EPOX board that is almost identical to the Abit.

Would that be the KTA3+(Pro)? A very nice board, had one of these for years (survived 4 CPUs, from Duron 800 up to AXP 1700+). Could do 150 MHz FSB easily. Those were the days... 😉

Epox 8KTA3+? That's my current mobo and it has an ISA slot. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

8kta3. no plus or pro...from what i can tell. i'm happy with it... i think i got a bum proc cause its unstable at 266fsb... only doing 200 right now. i've got my eye on a 2800+ barton so no biggie. i'm gald you guys are having success with it. with that said... can anyone recommend a nice and quite heatsink and fan?

Targaff: Sorry man.. i just closed one on ebay. paid $25 for it... if you put yours up i'm sure it would sell

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 23 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

i've got my eye on a 2800+ barton so no biggie.

IIRC the fastest CPU supported by Epox 8KTA3+ is Palomino 2100+. I'm using Palomino 1800+, by the way.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 24 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

as long as i keep on a processor with 266fsb i should be cool.... i have seen socket a be very flexible as long as you have the voltage and fsb right. there is an athlon xp mp that is 2.1ghz real and rated at 2800. while i'm thinking about it too.... what version of 4-in-1 are you using? also... have you yourself done a bios update? the werdist thing is my current proc.. a 1600+ is sitll having stability issues. at first i couldn't get it to make it past boot up at 133... With my current bios the only way i can turn off spread spectrum is by under clocking the FSB to 130 (x2 = 260mhz), to have an actual 133 spread spectrum is basically forced. is does appear that my dram is still at 133 and my pci clock is 33... With this setting it would boot, but didn't take well to a hard reset. Moved a dimm from one slot to another... and it boots okay. Looks like prime 95 only made it about 5 hours last night. I'm in 98 with a voodoo3, I have amigamerlin's 2.9 and 4-in-1 4.43.

What kind of cooler are you using for that thing?

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 25 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Athlon XP-M 2500+, a mobile Barton core, on a Shuttle AK31A. That has a KT266A chipset. I had to do a wiremod (put wires into) the socket to get the mulitplier up to a nice 16.5x (lol). BIOS sees it as a "Unknown CPU Type", as did my now-dead nForce2 board, but it works perfectly.

It's doing 2.2GHz on 1.55v, which is what the board detected the voltage as. I can adjust it higher, but why bother? Nice and cool this way. Interestingly, it seems that FSB affects stability because this CPU was never stable at this clock when I had the FSB at 200 Mhz on my NF2 board.

Mobile Athlon XP CPUs usually have a FSB of either 133 or 166, I believe. Mine is specified for 133 MHz. I bet it just might work on a KT133A board.

Reply 26 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i'm still waiting for the v5 to show up...I did some more testing on my proc. using the underclocked fsb at 130... it would boot and run.. but priming it only makes it about 5 hours till she froze. The other day i booted linoppix... and got it to freeze after just a few minutes by watching videos and looking at picture previews. My solution was raising the voltages hehe. After a .05 increase to 1.8.. it would boot at 133.... but it still was crashing after just a few minutes. At this point i decided to go back to 100fsb. did a whole nite of prime no issues... so i'll call it safe.

Now speaking of bartons.. I happened to have one just sitting around. My good friend bought it around a year ago.. and had issues getting it to work right. It the 3200+... 11.5 @ 200/400. I do remember it being rare when he got it... but as i recall he was only able to get it working at 100... even thought has board and ram should have been fine, Needless to say... it got mothballed.

So I just now dug it out and poped it in and BAM! 11.5 @ 133. Already passed the linux test.. priming it right now. I did a bunch of research and from what i can tell.. my proc is locked meaning i would need to tweek my L1 brigde... and then I would need to wiremod to get my multiplier past 14. At least for now though... I might just have gained a 133 fsb... %50 increase in clock speed... and double L2 cache.

God I can't wait for that card to get here so I can do some benchmarks 😀

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 27 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you need a mobile chip to have unlocked multipliers. Closing the L1 bridges on Palomino and later is extremely hard because of the change from that ceramic package to the "organic" one.

You should be able to undervolt that thing quite a bit with the clock rate reduced that much. Probably can't run fanless though. Running a very slow fan might be an option.

Reply 28 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well to correct my self its the L3 bridge... but there is just one you have to close.. my friend used to make money unlocking ppl's t-breds and they use the same package. Even with out it though i'm still at a higher clock than my 1600+ and double the L2 cache... its funny you mentioned that casue i did think about undervolting. The cache will give about a 10% speed alone. If that goes okay i'm going to to do the wiremod and try for 19x 133. At that point I will have the zalman cooler and some AS.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 29 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2.3 Ghz is usually where the mobile Barton's start to want more than 1.65v. 2500 MHz is usually a >1.8v proposition. Especially with a desktop Barton. I had a desktop chip that needed >2.0v to get there. It'll dump tons of heat at 1.80v and up. Gets to be rather pointless because it won't be much faster than it was at 2.2-2.3 at much less voltage.

Oh and I think some of the desktop Bartons were unlocked. I think I and a friend each had one.... Can't remember for sure. Never had a Tbred. Went from Duron Spitfire to Palomino and then Barton.

I do know that Barton was disliked by quite a few overclockers because it won't do the same clocks as most Tbreds. The cache is barely a 5% improvement in per-clock performance in all but a few cases. It has to do with how AMD's caches worked, with the L1 being huge and the most important and the L2 being pretty darned slow and high latency compared to an Intel L2. Hence why Duron and Tbird were not that much different in speed. So, with Barton not clocking as well as Tbred, Tbred remained the chip of choice for quite a few folks.

Reply 30 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dang! I Have a week 44 barton.. these are supposed to be "superlocked". I have seem mention of how to enable powernow! and change the multiplier with software.. but i haven't had a chance to read through all this stuff. I have a a 2ghz tbred I might be able to play with.. but this means I might be back in the market for a xp-m.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 31 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow it is been a minute since I pounded around in this thread. Well at this point I have found that pretty much anything you throw at the v5 that requires pixel shaders and it falls on it face... so that means no civ4. One thing that miffed me for a while was how i could play it with the raedeon 7000... a dx7 card but no go on the v5. I later found that there is very primitive implementation of pixel shading.. even though technically that is a dx8 feature. I didn't bother with 3d analyzer since i was only running at 1.1ghz with the raedeon and started to find it unacceptable after a hundred turns or so.

So the bottom line is a need that AGP slot for a more modern gpu. I read that PCI vs AGP makes almost no difference for a v5.. almost seems like the route to go. i almost wanted to kick myself because i just bought 2x v2's.. inc cables for $50 on ebay. The next day someone posted for a v5 pci.. and it sold for $50!!!

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 32 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

I read that PCI vs AGP makes almost no difference for a v5..

Indeed, because V5 is not a "true" AGP card. Nor is V3, for that matter.

prophase_j wrote:

The next day someone posted for a v5 pci.. and it sold for $50!!!

WHAT? Is that V5 PCI Mac, or PC?

By the way, shouldn't this thread be moved to Marvin?

Reply 33 of 67, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 35 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think KAN asked this on another site (I dug it up googling 🤣) and it didn't sound like it would work.. at least very well. would probably have to have 2x installs and use the device manager to disable/enable...

The v5 pci was for PC... no DVI. At this point the game plan is to get a fx5950 or possibly a 9800xt to run under winxp and then use win98 for the voodoo 2's. Even so if i can find a good deal on a v5 pci I will most likely get if anything just to try it out.

I'm going to snap up a a xp-m 2500... seems to be the best solution at this point. The bios on the board will only support up to 14x multi.... but with a wiremod should be able to get it higher. Another thing about the bastard kta3 is that it uses pc133.. right now i have 640megs of ram... i'm going to try to max it out at 1.5 gigs and get the CL2 stuff.

I had a awe64 gold and a live in there... ended up putting the live in another computer.. still have the awe64 even though never got it working 100% in dos. Mostly likely need to get my config and autoexec together. Next for the sound department is a mx300 and possibly a dxg50

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 36 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GFFX is happier with an overclocked AGP slot than Radeons, if that's something you may need to consider.

Of course, V5 PCI is the best option in that case anyway.

Reply 37 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

I think KAN asked this on another site (I dug it up googling 🤣) and it didn't sound like it would work.. at least very well. would probably have to have 2x installs and use the device manager to disable/enable...

You mean this forum? 😉

Yup, caravel in x-3dfx forum said it is not possible, and he said it's better to try older Glide2.x drivers on V5.

However, ps47 of 3dfxZone forum has different opinion.

ps47 wrote:

this will work.just install the voodoo1 driver and dont overwrite the voodoo5 glides (and opengl) in your system folder.if you need to run a game on the voodoo1,drop the voodoo1 glides to the game folder and it should run fine.

I have a similar test machine,voodoo1 running with a voodoo3,no problems or conflicts.

prophase_j wrote:

The v5 pci was for PC... no DVI.

Oh, no wonder it was sold for only fifty bucks.

prophase_j wrote:

At this point the game plan is to get a fx5950 or possibly a 9800xt to run under winxp and then use win98 for the voodoo 2's.

Why not use Win98 for your FX5950? Even GeForce 6 series still have Win98 drivers, let alone GeForce FX. Imagine playing old, Win98-only Direct3D games on your GeForce FX, with maxed AA and AF.

prophase_j wrote:

still have the awe64 even though never got it working 100% in dos.

And why is that? Which DOS games don't work with AWE64 and why? Isn't AWE64 an ISA card?

Reply 39 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Well my brother use a Banshee with a Voodoo 2

...and it's just a matter of "switching" between Glide2.x drivers, isn't it?