Topic actions

Reply 60 of 67, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Did anyone here accidentally buy a Voodoo Rush? 😀

Blurry, slow 2D + gimped Voodoo Graphics all at a nice high price!!

Well they had to start somewhere 😉 It was the first all-in-one card from 3dfx. I never owned it, nor I ever wanted it. Luckily I've only seen it on internet 😉

Reply 61 of 67, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I did for someone else but I returned it cause it was sooo buggy and performance was lacking. Told them just to go buy a generic Virge and a Voodoo. I can't remember the blurriness part...GLquake visuals were on par with Voodoo, just slower and glitches in the status bar.

Reply 62 of 67, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Yeah I picked up a Voodoo Rush for my P233 MMX in order to play Everquest on release.
All the blurry 2d desktop and lackluster 3d performance all in one! Replaced it with a
Voodoo 2 in about 6 months and was much happier. When I bought it, I wanted 3d
without having to mess with 2 cards. Serves me right for taking the lazy route. But I
did get some nice looking games with it Turok, Tombraider I think? And another
forgetable title.

Reply 63 of 67, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What would people recommend as a single-board Voodoo solution? Obviously, the Rush is a pile a junk well-worth avoiding, but what about the Banshee? It wasn't as fast as 3D-only Voodoo2 (though it came close for many games) but it also added fast and sharp 2D graphics to the mix. Given that it seems to go for less than either the Voodoo2 or the Voodoo3 (I just checked eBay and found this to be the case), would the Banshee be a good choice for a budget retro build?

Reply 64 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Banshee is effectively the same as Voodoo3 in many ways. The most obvious difference is that it only has a single texture unit compared to Voodoo2's twin units.

It is a lot faster than Voodoo Graphics, but not quite as fast as Voodoo2 most of the time. It actually has more pixel fillrate than Voodoo2, but less texture fillrate because of the missing second TMU. There aren't any compatibility issues unique to it that I know of.

It can also run higher 3D resolutions than Voodoo2 and Voodoo1.

Reply 65 of 67, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh... The first 3D accelerator I bought was a Banshee. 😀
The funny thing was that I didn't buy it because of the 3D part, but because it was the cheapest 16MB card supported under Linux/X11.

Reply 66 of 67, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Voodoo 3, and love it. If mine burns out, I will replace it with the same. It had good DOS & Windows support, and no passthrough cable. DOS glide stuff works great (tomb raider, descent, etc), and I hear voodoo 5 is less compatible. It also has really good 2D performance, VESA games run great.

It's not the best in terms of 3D performance, compared to the '5, but on this particular PC I only play pre-quake3 games; and everything performs well. (Quake 3 engine starts to slow, but I may be cpu-bound (k62-450)).