VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 MAC PCI that has a VGA port with a non-functioning (or extremely weak) green signal. Its DVI port outputs just fine, so I think it is likely that there is a fault somewhere in the green signal, such as a dead resistor or capacitator. Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions to fix the problem?

Reply 2 of 11, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably a bad resistor on the board, or dirty contacts. Try some de-oxite. Let that soak, then blast it away with canned air.

I assume by you saying the DVI port works, you used a DVI to VGA adapter, and that the monitor displays a correct image?

Reply 3 of 11, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may find some help here:

http://www.falconfly.de/

If not, take a look a the links section: http://www.falconfly.de/links.htm

I presume that you have checked it, but in allmost all cases when I had a similar problem, it was because of

- a defect of the display
- the cable(s) / connectors

From your description I suggest that you might use two displays (TFT and CRT) that's why I mention it. If you use a KVM-switch, also check this.

In any case Moogle!'s tip to clean the contacts is worth a try.

Reply 4 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will post on the Falconfly forum, but before I do, let me say what I have done:

I have used two different monitors, one a TFT with a VGA/DVI-I cable, the second was a true CRT with its own cable. I have used some rubbing alcohol to clean the board, no change.

Reply 5 of 11, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the V5 circuit board itself, so I can't give you any hint if a capacitor or resistor or another electrical component should be affected. Could it be the RAMDAC (worst case)?

Anyway: how does the defect appear? Is the green signal constantly missing?
If not, I would still think about a mechanical problem. What you could do is trying to clean the vga connector inside with a contact cleaner (spray) that should be 100% residue-free (not oil based or similar).
On the picture of the card ( http://www.falconfly.de/identify/Mac_Voodoo5_ … 500_DVI_PCI.jpg ) I see that the analog VGA connector is (like the AGP model) nearly at the bottom of the circuit board. Maybe one pin of the blue connector is loose or broken? if you have not allready done it, look at the backside of the board, if everything is okay.

Reply 6 of 11, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unlikely to be the RAMDAC as his DVI out works without issue. If it's not a bad solder join (worn over time) or bum resistor on the green pin, it could be that the female shim for said pin has been pushed in or faulty.

Reply 9 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

bridge it, those are only there to comply with EMV rules.

This is interesting. I thought EMV is only there to manage the interoperability of IC cards. Why would a video card need EMV-related components? Is the function of those Filters solely to comply with EMV rules?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Uh-oh I don't know all the english words for this stuff...

At least here in europe there is a maximum value of radio waves a device may emit. To comply with it the bandwidth of the VGA signal is limited by those little inductors.

1+1=10

Reply 11 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bridging it would be a good idea.

The filters are present on both PCI versions of the 5500 (w/DVI and w/t DVI) but are not present on the AGP 5500. Perhaps they may not be the problem. Only one way to find out.