Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Yes, AWE32 has "crappy 32 software synth channels"

Um no it doesn't. All creative AWE32 cards have two synths in Windows, one does 32 note interpolation in hardware giving 16 stereo channels and the other does the same in software. What bugs me about the AWE64 is that Creative forced that note interpolation to be fully software driven a la Waveguide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_AWE64

I hate the AWE64, it was a sure sign, at least to me, that Creative had become complacent and were willing to lie to customers to sell supposedly upgraded product.

Reply 22 of 26, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's like re-inventing the wheel, every time this comes up... 😵

The CT1747 appears to contain an integrated, genuine, Yamaha OPL3(L). Later chips feature the actual "OPL" logo, whereas early chips do not (undoubtedly because Yamaha had not yet filed for the trademark).

The CT1978 appears to be Creative's first CQM incarnation. On later (ISA) cards, the CQM functionality is consolidated into the 2505/2511/89xx VLSI.

For perhaps the best explanation of CQM, refer to these:

Patent #5,900,570

Patent #6,091,269

Reply 24 of 26, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dh4rm4 wrote:

So what's the Creative virtual surround technology that was also licensed for arcade machines? I think that had also has a 3 character acronym.

You might be thinking of QSound, which was used in quite a few arcade games. Creative didn't own this technology, but rather, was a licensee themselves for a few years.

Reply 26 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. I remember reading some reviews long time back that AWE64 is made up of 32 Hardware synths and 32 Software synths, to put it bluntly. I remember this because they said it's not actually all 64 notes done in hardware.

Creative became a bit "sour" once they started the false or misleading naming of their product and when they started the proprietary memory expansion board for the AWE64.

But I believe the AWE64 has less electrical noise due to the board layout and short length, especially AWE64 Gold which has the separate L/R Gold plated audio out jacks.

However the electrical disturbances are negligible, if any, imho, in the AWE32. Perhaps due to using the Line-Out, rather than the Speaker Out.

Coming to QSound, I remember Zork Nemesis and Spycraft support it, in Windows 9x environment, I think.