VOGONS

Roland RAP-10

Topic actions

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could anyone share their experience with this card? I want to buy a card for Roland MIDI, but I'm not sure which one I want. As far as I know there are basically:

• SCC-1, based on the SC-55
    SCC-1A, based on the SC-55 MK II
    SCB-55, the daughtercard based on the SC-55 MK II, part of the SCD-15
    RAP-10, based on the SC-7 + digital audio
    SCB-7, the daughtercard based on the SC-7, part of the SCD-10

Do games utilize the extended polyphony of the SCC-1? How good is the digital audio part of the RAP-10?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me Too!! 😁

Anyway, imho, at the time of the appearance of SCC-1, RAP-10, etc., games have started showing support for General MIDI. So any of the cards you mentioned will be able to handle the GM games wonderfully.

I'm not sure to what extent the games' music were written to take advantage of a particular card like RAP-10, though.
Even if there are some games which take advantage of this, the numbers may be very few - less than 5?

Here is the list of DOS based games which have listed support for RAP-10. I've re-compiled it from Mobygames in a single DOC file.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 31, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

Wow... you act like you have a choice in the matter. 😮

Well, they aren't so rare. I can see someone selling an external SC-55 almost every month here in Poland. For the cards and daughterboards this search on ebay almost always returns some results (currently a boxed RAP-10), today there was also a SCB-55. You just have to be patient and you get what you want.

Reply 5 of 31, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Regarding that SCB-55 listed on ebay you mentioned, I had my beady orbs focused on it, but my hopes were cruelly dashed as the bidding got too high. 🙁

Well, someone sold a SCB-55 a few months ago for 68 euro here, so I guess 60-70 euro how much the board is really worth, at least in germany.

Reply 6 of 31, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Regarding that SCB-55 listed on ebay you mentioned, I had my beady orbs focused on it, but my hopes were cruelly dashed as the bidding got too high. 🙁

You aren't alone feeling that 😵

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 31, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

Do games utilize the extended polyphony of the SCC-1?

None that I know of. The most you get from games of that gen is standard 16 channel midi.

How good is the digital audio part of the RAP-10?

CD Quality, but lacks punch.

Reply 9 of 31, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How good is the digital audio part of the RAP-10?

CD Quality, but lacks punch.

Thanks for the answer. So I guess I will be looking for the SCB-55 or SC-55 MK II.

Reply 10 of 31, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any of you guys have driver for this card to DOS?

I was unable to find any...
Without driver, the midi section works, and games with native RAP-10 support, finds the card at 330H, DMA5.

As I've seen some screenshots from win9x, where the card is listed as SB compatible card, so with driver I assume, there will be a basic sbpro/16 compatibility mode.

Reply 11 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DBob wrote:
Any of you guys have driver for this card to DOS? […]
Show full quote

Without driver, the midi section works, and games with native RAP-10 support, finds the card at 330H, DMA5.

As I've seen some screenshots from win9x, where the card is listed as SB compatible card, so with driver I assume, there will be a basic sbpro/16 compatibility mode.

Google?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 31, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DBob wrote:
Any of you guys have driver for this card to DOS? […]
Show full quote

RAP-10 is NOT SB compatible. In DOS the games must support the card (warcraft 2 does).

Reply 13 of 31, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Google?

Do you really thought that I was begging here for driver, instead of searching the net over days? You're wrong...

RAP-10 is NOT SB compatible. In DOS the games must support the card (warcraft 2 does).

That's really sad, because from the win9x screenshot, it seemed that the card is sb compatible. 🙁

Reply 14 of 31, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DBob wrote:

That's really sad, because from the win9x screenshot, it seemed that the card is sb compatible. 🙁

It really is sad because digital sound, in my opinion, is better than AWE64 Gold.

Reply 16 of 31, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xmodule999 wrote:

Does the driver TAPIRAPT.COM supports any SoundBlaster for Roland RAP-10?

No, the RAP-10 has no SB compatibility and doesn't utilize PCM whatsoever... it's a straight out General MIDI only device.

HOWEVER, you might be able to use it along with a SB device... in other words use the RAP-10 for in-game music, and the SB for digital sounds.

I know games such as X-Wing have the option to use GM + SB support, but I think you can do that with any game that has the option to select your Music Card + Digitial Sound seperately. 😀

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 17 of 31, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the RAP-10 has no SB compatibility and doesn't utilize PCM whatsoever... it's a straight out General MIDI only device.

erm, the RAP-10 does play back digital sound in addition to its MIDI synthesis. It's digital output is even discussed in this very thread.

You might be thinking of the SCC-1 or similar.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 19 of 31, by Bandit LOAF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, those are drivers are for using a Turtle Beach "Sequencer Plus" with the RAP-10. Sorry, there's just no magic bullet for somehow making a RAP-10 SoundBlaster compatible.

(IIRC, the RAP-10 doesn't have it's own DOS drivers like a Sound Blaster, everything is handled by the games that support it.)