VOGONS

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A while ago I found a Super Slotket-III adapter in an old compaq 440BX based PC (together with a voodoo3 2000 AGP 😀 ). Now this type of adapter was new to me, and now I learned that it might help in upgrading a 440BX board with certain faster CPUs.
slotket image here: http://ht4u.net/old/2000/slotkets/
I fear I have the cheapest model slotket, quite plain without any IC on it, made in a time when Tualatin cores did not yet exist...

some questions arise:
- My mobo supports coppermine CPU's, can I put any socket 370 coppermine on the slotket, or only the 100MHz FSB ones?
- When I put in a 133MHz FSB coppermine CPU and set my bios and the jumpers to 100MHz, would it obey these settings?
- What about the Tualatin core CPU's?

At the moment I have these CPU's available:
- Intel Pentium III 600 - Coppermine Slot 1 (currently installed)
marked 600E/256/100/1.65V S1
- Intel Pentium III 866 - Coppermine Socket 370
marked 866/256/133/1.75V
- Intel Celeron 300/66 SL2YP Slot 1
- Intel Celeron 466/66 fv524rx466 Socket 370 (on slotket)
I have a soyo SY-6BA+III mainboard.

Reply 1 of 32, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should accept all Coppermines.
Yes, it should run the CPU at 100 MHz FSB, but of course the multiplier is fixed, so you get 25% speed penalty.
It probably won't run a Tualatin, since it would need a voltage regulator, and as you say it's "quite plane".

Personally, I just bought some 850 MHz Intel boxed (the ones with Intel sticker on the fan) CPUs - there were no Slot 1 based PIIIs at 900 and 950 MHz, and the 1 GHz Slot 1 boxed part is extremely rare. 850 MHz should be enough for a nice Win98 box.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GL1zdA: Yes, it should run the CPU at 100 MHz FSB, but of course the multiplier is fixed, so you get 25% speed penalty.

Thanks, now I get that part. So my 866MHz CPU at 110 MHz FSB would only do 715 MHz.
I already looked around, but unfortunately 100MHz-Bus 700+ MHz CPU's are not that abundant.

GL1zdA: 850 MHz should be enough for a nice Win98 box.

Yes, actually 600 is too. but it is fun to try and enhance the system. 😉

Reply 3 of 32, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here should be some(800mhz+):

USA+:
http://search-desc.ebay.com/SL5QW-SL4KL-SL4BR … sofocusZunknown

Europe/UK:
http://search-desc.ebay.co.uk/SL5QW-SL4KL-SL4 … sofocusZunknown

This one looked promising, BUT the correct version is now sold:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-Pentium-III-Proce … 1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the fastest 100mhz PIII (meant for mobile, but would most likely work anywhere?) :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-SL5QW-1100-256-10 … 1QQcmdZViewItem

Reply 4 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thanks bestemor,

If you include 133mhz socket 370 as an option there are many different ways to go. I installed my 866mhz cpu this afternoon, at a 120mhz bus the system is stable. At a 133mhz it was also stable. yet I had two system lockups when I touched the heatsink to feel the temperature. It seems the slotket is seated loosely in the slot-1 and a small push can cause it to tilt and cause disconnections...

The 1 GHz CPU from the UK is nice, and he has 10, at a 120mhz bus it would do 900 mhz! what do you mean by saying the correct version is now sold?

As I see it now a 133MHz FSB CPU would do fine as long as it has the multiplier set high enough, so you have a good performance gain even when onderclocked. (My mobo has a max multiplier of 8, and fsb settings up to 155MHz.)

Before searching further on ebay I will check a local auction site (I'm Dutch).

Reply 5 of 32, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By 'correct' version I mean the one with a 100mhz bus, like the SL5QV, to fit on your slotket.

They ALL are PIII 100 mzh in those searches(cpu codes)...(!)
(socket 370 AND slot1)

But if your mobo works fine with a 133mhz CPU's, then a different search would be better...

Doesn't matter what multiplier your board has, as the cpu overrides it anyway, only affected by bus speed methinks.

The intel page is not working atm, but check it out later...:
http://processorfinder.intel.com

Reply 6 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Upgradeware Slot-T that lets me run a Tualatin in a 440BX mobo. It doesn't even have power regulation hardware on it. I also used to have a Powerleap iP3/T Slotket that did have power reg on it with even a drive power connector.

The advantage of the Upgradeware Slot-T is that I can choose the voltage in the BIOS. The Powerleap adapter was locked to one voltage unless you did some soldering. I've since given up on voltage tweaks and Tualatins though, so either adapter is fine.

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/powrleap/LFL/Slot-T_1.htm

That site talks about about some limitations caused by the lack of separate voltage regulation.

Reply 7 of 32, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coppermine compatible BX motherboards have the voltage regulator that is capable to go below 1.8 V. But there are many boards (such as the ASUS P2B series or Iwill BS-100 series) that came in many revisions, with the earlier (and from my experience more popular ones) supporting only Katmai.

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html - its about P2B, but information about voltage regulators applies also to other mobos (the same chips were used on most motherboards at this time).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the information guys!

For now I decided to put a bid on a 800MHz/100MHz slot-1 CPU. So that's a bit faster then my original 600MHz 😀.
One day I might decide it is worth it to go for something more exotic, like a tualatin on a proper adapter/slotket, or on a totally different motherboard. But at the moment I am not so sure.

@swaaye
You mean the tualatin would run at a higher voltage such as 1,65V on such an adapter? when going for a tualatin it would be nice to run it on the intended 1,45V, as lower voltage is less power (watt); less heat; less fan-noise. Any particular reason you gave up on this matter?

Bestemor: Doesn't matter what multiplier your board has, as the cpu overrides it anyway, only affected by bus speed methinks.

Your right, I remember now. To bad though, as now one cannot even underclock a cpu that way, as to pretent it to be a PII-266 for speed-sensitive games.

Reply 10 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand now, I needed some additional reading in the stated references.
There is this fc-pga to fc-pga2 adapter for sale, it is a nice item, but not cheap... Eventually I will probably do the soldering method.

Also wanted to point out that at 120MHz FSB my system was not actually stable. As I later found out it gave lockups after a certain time of gaming.

Reply 11 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An update on this topic;

I actually tried modifying the slotket for use with a tualatin CPU. The LunchBox Website seemed to have the most detailed plans, also suitable for generic slotkets. It seems I had a Pentium III supporting slotket, some do only celeron. I followed the instructions and checked everything when possible. But eventually my modified slotket+CPU did not work. I got no Post and instead a scary noise came from the power supply. 😳 Fortunately nothing appeared broken.

Now I could not try again as I could not even check if the CPU was still working. So instead I just had to pay for an 'Upgradeware Slot-T' (E 24,-). The thing arrived today. I equipped it with a Pentium-III-S SL5QL (1266/133MHz; 512kB; 1,45V). The Slot-T with CPU was put in a 440BX based PC, FSB set to 105MHz, so the CPU does about 1,0GHz. So far it works as reliable as with my previous 600Mhz CPU, very reliable that is. Programs seem to detect the uncommonly large L2 cache properly.
I gave the processor a small heatsink and a small 'slowed' fan. The processor has a very low voltage, which is a great feature. Combined with the underclocking the overall heat output is remarkably low. 😀 I like it!

Reply 12 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some days ago I stumbled upon another affordable CPU adapter set. A Celeron 1300Mhz with heatsink and fan, mounted on a socket 370 FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapter, again mounted on a Gigabyte GA-6R7+ slot-1 adapter.

I was mainly interested in the FC-PGA2 adapter. With this I could upgrade my VIA apollo pro mainboard to accommodate a Tualatin CPU. It has jumpers, and explains three settings for different mainboard types. I do not know how to adjust the voltage yet. Currently I read 1.5 Volt, but I would rather use 1.4 Volt. Unfortunately, despite the new CPU, the Via system has somewhat poor graphics benchmarks.

The Gigabyte slot-1 adapter comes with 2 small brackets that fixes the adapter more solidly in a pentium III slot-1. Without these it really won't do. The adapter seems to be similar to the 'pro' version, except it has no male jumper contacts. So I soldered these on, and now I can select a CPU Voltage with jumpers.

Finally the set came with a Celeron 1300/100/256kB/1.5V CPU and a heatsink+fan. I put this CPU in my 440BX system. But soon after I reverted back to my Pentium-III-S 1266/133 @ 1000/105. The P-III-S remained much cooler and gave about the same 3Dmark2001 results. Also I like the big L2 cache of the P-III-S. I might change my mind later though...

Below a picture of the Pentium-III slot and socket adapters that I gathered. On the lower right lays the FC-PGA2 adapter. The blue colored adapter is again the Upgradeware Slot-T, which swaaye already pointed out. I also attached the documentation of this Slot-T.

Attachments

• Filename
    slott.zip
    File size
    321.06 KiB
    Downloads
    577 downloads
    File comment
    Upgradeware Slot-T Documentation
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • p3_adapters_s.jpg
    Filename
    p3_adapters_s.jpg
    File size
    108.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 32, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting stuff. I've thought to try that too, but ran across a regular slotket and a 9x100 MHz P3 sooner. Since I have to OC my board to fsb 112 (v5 5500 issue), this will take the cpu just above the magic 1000 MHz. I've tried to convince myself that I could get even more by going tualatin or P3 11x100. But we all know: You won't really notice the difference in any game this machine is build for. And I got two 900 MHz p3s plus the slotket for under 10 Euros.

I have ruled out the 1100 P3 by now: 12% OC may not work.

Does the tualatin run on 66 MHz?

Which AOPEN board did you use this on?

By the way, have you seen this offer?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& … em=170477268665

Reply 14 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

I have ruled out the 1100 P3 by now: 12% OC may not work.

I haven't tried it myself but I think any coppermine above 900MHz is like factory overclocked and getting too hot for my liking. Whilst a Tualatin got a die shrink and uses lower voltage to do these 1 GHz+ speeds without a sweat.

ux-3 wrote:

Does the tualatin run on 66 MHz?

Sure.

ux-3 wrote:

Which AOPEN board did you use this on?

I did not mention AOpen in this topic actually:). But I currently own three Pentium III mainboards:
-SY-6BA+III mainboard; Intel 440BX; Slot-1
-AOpen AX6BC revision 1.4; Intel 440BX; Slot-1
-Chaintech Clone; VIA Apollo Pro133A; Socket-370
They all behave nicely. The Soyo and chaintech both have a 1266MHz P-III-S installed, running at minimum voltage. The AX6BC is in storage, cannot decide to equip it with either a multiplier limited deschutes P-II or an engineering sample coppermine P-III. But I don't really have a case for it now anyways.

ux-3 wrote:

Interesting. but I am not sure wheter I actually like them more then my current P-III-S 1266 and Celeron 1300.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The difference in TDP between the P3 900 and 1100 is ~4W. 😀 Tualatin is not much different.

If you are looking to call something a furnace, just look at the contemporary Athlon CPUs. Makes their performance seem less impressive from an efficiency standpoint.

Reply 16 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mainly base my dislike for 900MHz+ coppermines on articles like this. But maybe I should actually use one to have the right to say something about it.

Wikipedia - P-III Coppermine wrote:

A 1.13 GHz version was released in mid-2000 but famously recalled after a collaboration between HardOCP and Tom's Hardware discovered various instabilities with the operation of the new CPU speed grade. The Coppermine core was unable to reliably reach the 1.13 GHz speed without various tweaks to the processor's microcode, aggressive cooling, additional voltage (1.75 V vs. 1.65 V), and specifically validated platforms.[3] Intel only officially supported the processor on its own VC820 i820-based motherboard, but even this motherboard displayed instability in the independent tests of the hardware review sites. In benchmarks that were stable, performance was shown to be sub-par, with the 1.13 GHz CPU equalling a 1.0 GHz model. Tom's Hardware attributed this performance deficit to relaxed tuning of the CPU and motherboard to improve stability.[4] Intel needed at least six months to resolve the problems using a new cD0 stepping and re-released 1.1 GHz and 1.13 GHz versions in 2001.

Tualatin you can run fine at an unofficial 1,3 Volt or even lower, compared to 1,45/1,5 Volt officially specified, and 1,65/1,75 Volt for coppermines. With the addition of 512kB cache the Tualatin-S sounds significantly better to me, but I should calculate the wattage. Anyone got that radiate cpu calculator program with datafiles?...

Reply 17 of 32, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But chances are, I won't get one plus special T-adapter for as little as 10 Euro...
Or can you use a Tualation on any old slotket, if the mobo can provide the voltage?

Edit: gerwin, can the AOPEN bios select fsb66 for a fsb100 CPU?

Reply 18 of 32, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies if this is redundant, I didn't have the patience to read the entire thread, but here's my knowledge on the matter:

Generally speaking, these adapters will take anything older than a Tualatin P3, and some adapters (harder to find) will even take those. 866mhz is generally the max speed that goes in these slotkets/slockets/whatever.

Reply 19 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote:

Or can you use a Tualatin on any old slotket, if the mobo can provide the voltage?

I tried it, sometimes it should after some soldering, but it did not work for me.

ux-3 wrote:

Edit: gerwin, can the AOPEN bios select fsb66 for a fsb100 CPU?

No, it can not... 😢 Need to do some soldering to the CPU or mainboard to allow this. The Soyo SY-6BA+III does allow it though.