VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got it attached to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI card, running in Windows 98SE, using santa cruz VxD drivers.

I try the MS directx testing app called "dxdiag", and in the Music tab section, I select the "santa cruz external midi" for testing. I listen to the tune, and it sounds weird, like some of the instruments are not the correctly chosen ones for the song. Something isn't right.

Inside windows Control Panel, and inside the "Multimedia" app, I select the Midi tab, and select "santa cruz external midi" as the single instrument midi output. I then listen to a midi song inside "windows media player" and it sounds better, but unfortunately I just don't trust windows, and therefore I cannot say for certain if it is really using the daughterboard.

What is a trustworthy piece of software that I can use inside windows 98SE, that I can select the daughterboard for midi output, and really know for sure that it is the db that is being used when playing midi songs?

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Winamp has a good midi device selection, press ctrl+p and select nullsoft midi-player [in_midi.dll] to select a device and set other options. Other than that it is sometimes hard to really be sure the daughterboard is accessed in windows. In case I remain in doubt, I pull of the daughterboard while it is playing to see if it stops (but I cannot recommend that... ).
In dos it is easy though as you can be sure there is no softsynth loaded. In dos I recommend using GSPlay (google GSPlay1.zip). but your santa cruz does not have a functional waveblaster header in pure dos.

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot! 😁

I'm going to get winamp & gsplay. Please note, in DOS, I tried megamid, and found this very useful. (I used a terratec soundcard with wavetable header on that occasion, to test the db).

Also, I found a "quick 'n' easy" way to "suss out" whether or not the DB was making the tunes inside windows. Inside santa cruz mixer app, I move the daughterboard sound volume slider up and down while the midi tune is being played. I hear the volume go up and down. Therefore (I hope!) it's the DB which is being used.

I'm going to get those aforementioned apps right now...

Thank you. 😀

Edit: Please note, on winamp's website, it states that the minimum requirements are windows 2000.

Reply 3 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are several subversions of winamp.. google winamp295.zip for the oldschool version, though IIRC winamp 5.x works well on windows98 too.

Gsplay requires you to start it with the midi file folder as it's parameter, something like 'gsplay.exe c:\midis\*.mid' IIRC. Also it works best if you configure the config file properly, like setting the mpu-401 irq.

You might want to read this too, as it covers the same subject:
Vogons: Midi daughterboard trouble

Reply 4 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

winamp295 worked great! 😀 (I did try the very latest version, but it instantly "fell over" when I tried to run the installer.)

Using a combination of win amp and the santa cruz mixer app, I could very easily tell when the db was playing and when the sound card itself was playing. I used a combination of muting every channel except for the channel I wanted to test (eg daugherboard, or wave, or synth), and then just moving its associated volume slider up and down.

Now i'm satisfied the db works! Thanks! 😀