VOGONS

Socket 478 Heatsink Alternatives...**UPDATED**

Topic actions

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's just say that my experiences with Socket 478's cpu fan-heatsink installation and resultant heat production has been less than desirable. In fact, I hate the stock cpu fan-heatsink so much! Even after installing, I still "feel" it is not kissing the cpu enough.

My question is, has anyone tried fixing a non-socket 478 cpu cooler to a socket 478 cpu?

Is it possible to remove the retention bracket and install a LGA775 heatsink on it? (Some of those non-stock 775 coolers come with under-motherboard bracket - backplate). Will this be able to hold a 775 cooler on the mobo?

I haven't tried on the motherboard, and I'm at my office now. Just got this crazy idea while looking for a 478 cpu cooler.

I like the passive heatsinks a lot. Mainly due to their non-existent noise production. I'm having this crazy idea of fixing a 775 huge heatsink, which is not being used to the board.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by Malik on 2009-02-18, 16:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 93, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should I worry 😳 ?

I have a P4 1600mzh overclocked to 2666mhz, with the stock Intel cooler.... in semi daily use for nearly 7(seven) years now (!)

Just checked the temps, and seems like it is around 60-65C after 100% cpu for 10minutes or more (only checked in bios after quick restart).
(lack any windows based 'measuring' program, haven't bothered...)

Not sure how hot it'd be without the overclock though (at 1,55V core = ca +0,05V? over stock) ... 🙄

Reply 4 of 93, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No 65C is not bad at all. These CPUs are good for more than 80C.

P4s run hot. That's all there is to it. Putting a big 'ol copper monstrosity cooler on there would help things, but it would be a waste of money. Just think of the millions of OEM systems out there with little stock coolers.

Reply 5 of 93, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see.

I'll try fixing the extra cpu heatsink I'm having on it if possible. If successful, I'll post a picture.

For my newer system, my Quad Core Q9300 is overclocked to 3.33GHz and using CM Gemini II cpu heatsink with two custom 120mm fans. The FSB is running at 1333MHz. The temp. I'm getting with this hardly crosses 40! But maybe this is because of it's architecture.

Reply 6 of 93, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've managed to remove the cpu heatsink's retention bracket from the motherboard. And I've managed to fix a LGA775 heatsink on it.I removed the screw braces and placed heatsink's plate on the cpu. It's a crude method but I managed to tie the bottom of the heatsink to the cpu via the 478's bracket's holes, using wire ties.

I've been able to bring down the temp to 38-45 at idle. The max temp I've seen so far is 63. (Compared to the previous 68 degrees C at idle and 75 at peak.)
I haven't fixed the 120mm fan to the heatsink yet.

The motherboard is a MSI 848P Neo-V.

This is my mid-range system.

Attachments

• Tempcpu.jpg
    Filename
    Tempcpu.jpg
    File size
    83.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • moboin.jpg
    Filename
    moboin.jpg
    File size
    144.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mobomod.jpg
    Filename
    mobomod.jpg
    File size
    115.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • moboside.jpg
    Filename
    moboside.jpg
    File size
    123 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mobover.jpg
    Filename
    mobover.jpg
    File size
    124.99 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 93, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice mod!

Are those "wire ties" you mention made of nylon or some other kind of plastic? Those wouldn't last very long, especially if you mount the mainboard vertically.

Reply 9 of 93, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

Nice mod!

Are those "wire ties" you mention made of nylon or some other kind of plastic? Those wouldn't last very long, especially if you mount the mainboard vertically.

Thanks! Those are made from steel alloy, I think.
Yeah, I really had to "tie" very tightly. This heatsink weighs a ton! 😁

bestemor wrote:

So, what CPU and speed do you have in there ?
Given the temps, I'd guess some sort of Prescott ?

System Specs:

MSI 848P Neo-V Mainboard
Pentium 4 2.8C (Gallatin Core, 30 Cappers) running at stock speed. Not overclocked yet.
512MB DDR 400MHz
Geforce 6800 Ultra
Seagate 160GB HDD
WD 80GB HDD
Windows ME
Windows 2000

Below is the actual photo of this cpu, taken by the seller.
28c30cappersgallatinbi8.jpg

Reply 10 of 93, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE: I've fixed the 120mm silent fan to the heatsink. Now the temperature at peak after 2 hours was lingering at the range of 53°C to 57°C.

That's about 20°C drop in peak. (With the stock cooler : 75° to 80°)

Reply 11 of 93, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just had a Pentium 4 3.2/1M/800 Prescott wander into my hands. Neat acquisition but I'm having a hard time getting excited over it because it's a furnace. The Sempron LE 2GHz that I have sitting in my CPU drawer would approach it's speed while only using a max of 45W 🤣.

Previous owner had it stuck into a old FSB533 mobo that doesn't support it. I think he may have fried the mobo but not sure. I would think the chip is probably fine though. I tried a Celeron 1.8 in it and the board only POSTed once for me.

Reply 12 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't mind the refloat, I'm currently perpetrating a similar crime 🤣 , ghetto-modding a Hyper 212 Evo (superb price/performance but no gear for socket 478) on a Preshott 3.0E HT.

First lapped till they smiled both the Preshott and the heatsink:

12483024.jpg 12483026.jpg

Then McGivered a 478 retention system for the 212 Evo:

12483042.jpg 12483045.jpg 12483050.jpg

12483053.jpg 12483058.jpg

Caveman crude but works like a charm:

12483062.jpg 12483063.jpg

12483066.jpg 12483069.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 13 of 93, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You haven't seen heat generation until you overclock that pentium 4 into the 4ghz range. In fact, anything faster than 3.2 practically required water-cooling.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 93, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWiW, I ran a Prescott @ 3.6ghz on the stock cooler, load temps into 75c with hot ambients np at all (stock vcore). Its only when you start raising voltages that you need something better. Doesn't matter if it's Willamette, NW or Prescott- they all have different max temps. Important thing is if you raise more than 0.1v in any of them, then you need aftermarket cooling.

Reply 15 of 93, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

too hot! Intel rated the williamette @ 75C and northwood/prescott @ 70C Any hotter than that, you risk damaging the chip!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

You haven't seen heat generation until you overclock that pentium 4 into the 4ghz range. In fact, anything faster than 3.2 practically required water-cooling.

Well at the stock 3.0GHz and at 21C / 70F ambient this tiger is purring 28C / 82F idling (Δ7C), and 35C / 95F under torture with Prime95-Large FFTs (Δ14C).

Let the air flow!

Reply 17 of 93, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For those of you looking for a really good 478 heatisnk, have a look at the "Scythe SHURIKEN Rev.B". I used it with a 3.06Ghz P4 Northwood and if I remember correctly cooled it to around the high 20-30C.. I think. I don't use this board anymore so I can't tell you what it runs at exactly. But I can speak for its quality.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/043/scs … 000_detail.html

scsk1000-main_400.jpg

Reply 18 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm unable to overclock decently, this crappy Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ mobo doesn't allow raising the vcore 😵 , and the piece of junk generic PSU doesn't help either 😵 .

It boots into Windows @ 3.6GHz, but can't really stand heavy torture with complete stability above 3.37GHz 😒 .

Anyway with a good heatsink like the 212 Evo and sound case airflow the Preshott doesn't live up to its fame, just 27C idle & 35C under torture @ 3.37GHz & 21C ambient:

12492778.gif 12492810.gif

Let the air flow!

Reply 19 of 93, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:
For those of you looking for a really good 478 heatisnk, have a look at the "Scythe SHURIKEN Rev.B". I used it with a 3.06Ghz P4 […]
Show full quote

For those of you looking for a really good 478 heatisnk, have a look at the "Scythe SHURIKEN Rev.B". I used it with a 3.06Ghz P4 Northwood and if I remember correctly cooled it to around the high 20-30C.. I think. I don't use this board anymore so I can't tell you what it runs at exactly. But I can speak for its quality.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/043/scs … 000_detail.html

scsk1000-main_400.jpg

Thank you, just what i was looking for. i did have thermal take typhoon before i installed water cooling which later gunked up with copper oxide and killed the pump.

Since i already installed the typhoon in a core 2 machine that leaves me with fixing the water cooling and figuring out a way to cool the VRMs and voltage controller (way volt modded) or cpu cooler like this or conjure something up with home fabricated mounting hardware (how i got the typhoon on there)

Edit: that was 30c idle, which still isn't too shabby.