VOGONS

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I received a CT1920 AWE32 Upgrade card. My second creative ISA card next to a SB-16 Vibra-S CT2800. It is the back half of a normal AWE32, and it does only midi music. I don't have extra memory for it yet. but it has 512kB ROM samples and 512kB RAM on the card.
I have three ways of getting the music signal out of the card.
1 Solder on a 3,5mm Jackplug connector (Analog).
2 Solder on a coax S/PDIF connector.
3 Make a cable for the 2x4pin goldfinch connector (Analog).
Now I did 1 and 2. And I started playing some music with the card. Now the analog gives an obvious interference, I can hear the mouse movement. And the volume is quite low.
S/PDIF then; The interference is gone, the music sounds nice, but I have the volume sliders of S/PDIF input on full, my speakers amplifier is on full too, and then it is just OK. But the other soundcards sounds are now of course dangerously loud. Can this be fixed?

Reply 1 of 15, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about option 3 ? 😁

This one comes with both the cable and even a driver CD it seems... ?
http://america.hongfaith.com/Audio/soundblaster_ct19201.htm

Of course, I've no idea if the page/shop is dead or whatever, but looks promising...
heck, they even sell parts for 486 motherboards !! 😲

Reply 2 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where did you get the damn software for this card?

I've had one for several years and couldn't use it because I didn't have the appropriate software. I looked all over for it. The software for my regular AWE32 didn't like it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got the software from here:
Queststudios forum - Creative CT1920 "Goldfinch" drivers?.
It is the AWE.rar file from the last post.

@bestemor
I saw that page before, as I was searching for info on the card yesterday. Be aware though that the 'Micron' cards offered there are without the normal 512kB RAM chip.
The manual 'wavtabup.pdf' explains the pinout of the goldfinch connector. Fortunately I found a 4 pin connector cable that I could rewire easily. Just tested it and it is the same as with the jackplug output; interference, and the same low volume.

Attachments

• ct1920_modified.jpg
    Filename
    ct1920_modified.jpg
    File size
    71.57 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CT1920 with improvised connectors
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found the cause of the volume problems, it was just winamp. Winamp's midi volume slider was assigned to 'None', but still it seemed to mute the music if not set totally full. Maybe it sends general volume sysex commands to the card?

Now how to configure this card for use in Dos 7.10? I have CTCM, AWEUTIL and AWEDIAG. But no Dos sound yet...

EDIT:
The Dos music now works using these commands 😀 :

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0 SET BLASTER=E620 T6 SET SOUND=C:\DOSAPP\AWE CTCM AWEDIAG /S […]
Show full quote

SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=E620 T6
SET SOUND=C:\DOSAPP\AWE
CTCM
AWEDIAG /S

CTCM.EXE and CTPNP.CFG were hidden in the windows folder.
Awediag complains about the wrong version of CTCM?

Reply 6 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

awediag v1.02
ctcm v1.03
aweutil v2.01

I think they all installed with the awe upgrade Dos/windows 3.1 package.

When I start awediag without parameters it runs properly and checks the RAM and plays a midi song. When I start it with the '/s' parameter it says it either cannot find the configuration manager, or it is the wrong version.

I am quite new to this AWE32 stuff so I might just be doing something stupid
😉

Reply 7 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could someone please post hammersound's SF2Load utility. The links I found are all dead. 🙁
Also, there are 'sbk' Soundfont banks that obviously work. Can I also upload 'sf2' (Version 2) to this card?

Reply 8 of 15, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, forgot about this thread...

CTCM 1.02 seems rather old - maybe it's causing the AWEUTIL error. There is at least a v1.08 somewhere out there.
Also, I've never seen AWEUTIL v2.01. Is this a special version for the Goldfinch cards?

Reply 9 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both aweutil and awediag display '(AWE32 UPGRADE)' in their header.
I put ctcm v1.08 in the place of v1.03, it made no noticable difference. The error message remains when using 'awediag /s', but loading ctcm instead of 'awediag /s' seems to make things work.
Aweutil works properly now to emulate the General Midi MPU-401 at 330h.

I have some ancient memory shipping to me now, I hope there are some 4MB or 16MB ones between them.

SF2LOAD anyone?

Reply 10 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made a picture of the now complete CT1920 AWE Synth. 8MB Ram is installed and a coax S/PDIF connector was added next to the jackplug I added earlier. It took more effort than I hoped, because the connectors were stubborn not to go all the way in the circuit board. Also they needed adjustment as to put them at the very center (in height) of the metal bracket.

These 30-Pin Dimms sure look primitive. They get very hot when the system is powered, that is probably how it is supposed to be, but I don't like it.
Still this card is a great way of getting the AWE32 music features in a modular form.

Attachments

• ct1920_s.jpg
    Filename
    ct1920_s.jpg
    File size
    90.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CT1920 Modified
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 15, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats pretty cool gerwin - i have the same card but obviously no spidif coax connection, and no line out 3.5mm - is that from the emu8k direct output analog???

i wish i had the skill to solder a connector on my card!

8mb isnt the max for this card is it??
can it not handle 28-32mb of ram same as a real AWE32 card?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 12 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The analog circuitry of this card is on an analog 'island' on the PCB, which has a different ground plain. On the picture that is on the top right. You can see there is one small chip bridging over to this area, which should be a DAC (8 legs). Then between the DAC and the Jackplug is another chip with 14 legs. But I don't know what it is for.

About the soldering. In this case I suppose it is mostly about having a reasonable soldering set plus a drill, and about preparation for fitting the connectors. The actual soldering is done pretty quickly.

I suppose it could handle the usual AWE maximum of RAM. but I don't have any 30-pin 16MB sticks myself.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 15, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

About the soldering. In this case I suppose it is mostly about having a reasonable soldering set plus a drill, and about preparation for fitting the connectors. The actual soldering is done pretty quickly.

I suppose it could handle the usual AWE maximum of RAM. but I don't have any 30-pin 16MB sticks myself.

I added a 3.5 jack to mine too and the hardest part I found was drilling a neat hole in the backing plate - I messed it up the first time so ordered another card just for a new backing plate 😵 There was a guy selling NOS ones for cheap at one stage.

And yes it handles a maximum of 32 MB like the standard AWE - I have 2 x 16MB sticks on mine.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 15, by Vodakas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!
I know I know, this is an old thread. But I finally got awediag to work properly with /s or just straight up testing. I spent a lot of time on this thread looking for clues, so I wanted to share my solution incase it helped anybody else.

I was forever getting the message about ctcum being the wrong version or incorrectly installed. I spent half a day messing with it, and finally got everything thing working in DOS 6.22. No more error from awediag, all games with the AWE32 driver choice play just fine with it so far.

My solution was to change the base I/O port on my Sound Blaster 16. I’m using a ct2230 with the asp/csp chip. I changed the jumpers to 240 instead of 220. Changed autoexec.bat and config.sys accordingly. Rebooted, and boom go the EMU8000 drums in games.

Ctcm would always say it successfully set up the card at start up, but cycle would always error out when I tried to test the resources. I thought perhaps I need to change to port, and apparently the way you change the ct1920’s port is to change the base address on the SB16. I did and it worked for me!

Hope this helps! Super excited to have a proper SB16 and an EMU8000! The SB32 I had years ago has been well missed, now I think I have a better setup!

Reply 15 of 15, by Vodakas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh! And I just discovered, it looks like my ct1920 is still at port 620, so the port address didn’t change. Ctcu is reporting 620, and testing successfully now. No more failures. It just likes my sb16 at port 240.

Could it be undocumented that perhaps the ct1920 uses port 220 as well, and so the sb16 was causing a conflict? The AWE32 and the SB32 has the EMU8000 coexisting with the OPL3 or Vibra and the rest of the sb16 on the same board, but could the Goldfinch just need port 220 for itself as kind of a legacy to how it worked when it was all integrated together?

I don’t know. But it’s working and I am as happy as a pig in…