VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing another old Asus mainboard -

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AS … PVI-486SP3.html

(It's a 486 mobo, an Asus PVI-486SP3, rev 1.2)

When I power on the mobo, the keyboard seems completely lifeless. The BIOS POST finishes it's testing, and then reports this error -

Keyboard error or no keyboard present.

(The keyboard works fine on other mobos, and it's plugged in firmly in to this one.)

Strange. 😕

Reply 1 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect a malfunctioninmg mobo... has the battery leaked ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

The battery seems fine - in fact I changed it. It's just a button battery - no leaks that I can see. It's a bit loose in it's slot though, but I think it's OK.

I tried a few basic jumper changes - a few settings didn't look right to me. I also changed the RAM and CPU, just to see if that made any difference. No joy. 🙁

Reply 3 of 33, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
keropi wrote:

The battery seems fine - in fact I changed it. It's just a button battery - no leaks that I can see. It's a bit loose in it's slot though, but I think it's OK.

I tried a few basic jumper changes - a few settings didn't look right to me. I also changed the RAM and CPU, just to see if that made any difference. No joy. 🙁

I hope its not my old asus mobo?
I have a soyo mobo with the same fault

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:
keropi wrote:

Nope! 😅 😀

Amigaz wrote:

Ah, I remember! You mentioned that mobo in a PM. Funny how I'm having the same problem with this Asus 1.2 board! 😮 (Please note, your old Asus was a 1.22)

Reply 5 of 33, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Nope! :sweatdrop: :happy: […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Nope! 😅 😀

Amigaz wrote:

Ah, I remember! You mentioned that mobo in a PM. Funny how I'm having the same problem with this Asus 1.2 board! 😮 (Please note, your old Asus was a 1.22)

Yeah, you're right

Maybe rev 1.22 is higher than rev 1.8 since we have über-later chipset on our boards?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Moogle! wrote:

I suggest pressing F1 to continue. /smartass

There isn't a jumper on the keylock is there?

No, there aren't any jumpers on that cluster of pins, one of which being the Keylock. I wonder if this "keyboard error" is not an accurate error message, but instead, something (more serious perhaps) which has gone wrong with the BIOS? I wonder if either flashing or physically replacing it might help?

Reply 8 of 33, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont think that this error message means anything other then the keyboard I/O error.

Sometimes its just defective keyboard jack. If that's the case, you are out of luck. You might try plugging in a PCI usb controler and connecting the keyboard to it, but the odds that this will do the trick are pretty low.

You can also try clearing CMOS, but I honestly think this is going to be just as futile 🙁 So in the end, solution comes down to this.

Reply 10 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When the mobo is powered on, I see all 3 lights on the keyboard briefly flash once. After this has occured, no matter what keys I press on the keyboard (such as CAPS or NUM LOCK, etc), I get no further response from the keyboard - it seems to be completely lifeless. (I've tried two working keyboards - both exhibit the same behaviour.)

I'm beginning to fear the worst. The problem is that this mobo came shipped with another 486 mobo. They were supplied to me by a very trustworthy and honest seller. I'm perfectly happy to assume that when they were shipped out to me, they were both working. But this other mobo doesn't work either. It doesn't even POST. I wonder if something happened to them during international transit? Perhaps my parcel was put through some nasty x-ray machine (or some other contraption) which has kind of "knocked them both out" or something?

🙁

Reply 12 of 33, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Multiple things could be keeping the other board from posting. Have you tried both Fast Page and EDO RAM? Not mixed. Are -all- jumpers correct?

Sometimes, equipment just dies with no warning, or sign it has happened. Resistors go bad, caps dry out, ect. Much of this equipment is reaching the age where caps die, and other problems begin to show.

Reply 13 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried a number of tests on the other board: 5 sticks of RAM (one at a time), 2 keyboards, 2 CPUs, and 2 graphics cards. And I tried clearing the CMOS twice. No joy. Perhaps their half-way-around-the-world shipping journey "finished them off"?

Let's see now. What can I do? I know!

Dear Asus,

Please can you make another 486 board? Oh go on! 😀

Yours faithfully,
Retro games 100.

Reply 14 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@elfuego,

Unfortunately, I don't know how to clear the CMOS on this board. I've checked the "stason org" website (link in the original post), and also the manual (ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock5/486sp3 ...), but neither mention where or how to clear the CMOS.

You're probably right about the cause of the problem - a keyboard I/O error. (I don't have a PCI USB card to test a USB keyboard.)

@h-a-l-9000,

Unfortunately, I don't possess any tools (or skill for that matter) to remove and replace a socketed keyboard connector.

Reply 17 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

there should be a halt on keyboard error setting in the bios set it to false it may or may not then work when the o/s is loaded

Unfortunately, the keyboard is completely lifeless as soon as the mobo receives power. Therefore, I am unable to press the DEL key to gain access to the BIOS. 🙁

@h-a-l-9000,

40 pins = IDE connector?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are suggesting. 😕

Reply 19 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

is it ps2 or 5pin din ?

It's one of those old large chunky 5pin din type keyboard sockets - the type found on a lot of 486 mobos, and even a few old early Pentiums.