PIII, Athlon mobo w ISA slot remommendation

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 100, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:
elfuego wrote:

What would it be then? The next best thing with ISA slot is an old P2 BX chipset...

That would be my recommendation.

I just hated that VIA chipset combo. Brings back bad memories. It might be the worst ever made (along with some early nForce offerings).

I've had both, and have both once again, and a repeat is occurring. Every 440BX save one that has been through my hands has been problematic. On the other hand, I owned and used, steadily, a Gigabyte ZXE Rev 1.0 (KT133A) for many years with very little trouble until near its sudden end a couple of years ago. The ZXE was my utility workhorse, but only handled games for a very short part of its life, back when NWN1 was very new.

I now have had a Rev 2.0 version of the ZXE, for about a year now, and it has functioned very well as a loaner when I've had friends/ relatives / neighbors' PCs in my shop for trouble shooting or upgrading.

The worst 440BX I ever had, a genuine Intel SE440BX, is also the exact same model presently just providing frustration here. It's supposed to replace an Asus P5A setup that has steadfastly refused to keep good track on its USB functions (I have never tried going really retro with the P5A and not using the AGP slot).

Kiwi