VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've plugged in 2 pairs of headphones, and 1 pair of multimedia speakers in to the "SP" port on the back of a Gravis Ultrasound Classic soundcard. The "SP" port is the 1st/top/highest back port on this card. I guess "SP" means SPeakers. When I listen to music, only sound comes through one speaker. I've tried pulling out the cable jack, and pushing it back in again, but no joy. If I remove the cable jack from the SP port, and push it in to the next port down on the card - the port labelled "Line out", I get stereo sound, and both speakers work.

Any ideas please people?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2009-08-04, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How can you get sound output from a LINE IN?

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 2 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salient wrote:

How can you get sound output from a LINE IN?

Oops, I meant "Line out". 😊

I think the top port is "amplified stereo out". This is the port that doesn't work properly. The next port down is "non-amplified stereo out". This port appears to work, but I wonder why the first (top) port only works with 1 speaker.

Reply 3 of 9, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe it just doesn't make good contact with the jacket plug?

I can't think of another reason.

If you push the plug in half way do you hear music coming out of the opposite side that works normally?

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 4 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
samudra wrote:

Maybe it just doesn't make good contact with the jacket plug?

I can't think of another reason.

If you push the plug in half way do you hear music coming out of the opposite side that works normally?

I've been messing about with this for a while now - pulling out the cable's jack plug, and then pushing it back in again. Very occasionally, I think I can just about detect some audio being played in both speakers for a fraction of a second, and then it goes again. I think the port socket maybe broken in some way.

Is the non-amplified port for multimedia speakers? And the amplified port for headphones? If so, I can just forget about using headphones, and use speakers instead. Even though the headphones only work with the left channel using the top amplified port, it sounds "more interesting" than the "dull, flat" sound coming from the next port down, the non-amplified port.

Reply 7 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Visually, the board seems to be in good shape. Its awash with "funny looking things" - small objects that have a wire on either side, which are soldered on to the PCB. Fuses perhaps? Lots of 'em! I guess a multimeter would help, but alas I don't have one.

More "dodgy crud" obtained from you-know-where.

Reply 8 of 9, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Does the sound come from both speakers if you bend the card slightly? If yes, it might be a bad soldering joint.

Also the jack could be broken, as you said you heared sound from both speakers once.

There are usually no fuses on sound cards 😉

Of course, if you have speakers with built-in amplifier you don't need the "SP" output.

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 9, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am just about able to obtain and maintain a "stereo sound" in my headphones if I very carefully pull out the headphone jack plug about half way out of the port socket. But unfortunately, I must manually hold the headphone jack plug in this very awkward position, which is impossible for normal useage.

I think I'll use a pair of amplified speakers in the non-amplifier port from now on! 😀