VOGONS

First post, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to ask whether anyone here has any recollection of any hardware foibles for this game. I have on hand a rather wide range of possible PC components for whatever system(s) I run the game on.

Last spring, or maybe it was last winter, I bought the game and started to set up a vintage (Windows32) PC, in a very cool-looking, very tall, rather skinny, putty-colored case on a pedestal base. I already had two Asus P5A MBs and some K6-2 CPUs on hand, so those were where I started.

My luck was poor, or the P5As are just not nearly as good as the reviews in their time period all proclaimed. I also have a Soyo MVP3 motherboard that runs socket 7 processors. That one seems much more amenable to going to work, although it is impossibly slow at booting up or rebooting.

Based on various threads here, I started some testing with Intel's own 440BX, although my 1998 experience with another one had been uniformnly bad. I think that I will prefer a non-Intel version of the 440BX, and will give the Abit BX-6 a try. At this point, due to the numerous Slot1 CPU variations, I don't have any working fans for the lower speed P-2s I want to use, and the passive heat sinks seem to dissipate the heat poorly, particularly on any 300 MHz to 400 MHz processors (for which I do have one working HSF fan).

Tomorrow, for $20, I (thought that I would) collect seven old P1/P2 PCs that are all supposed to be operable, not defective in any important aspect, and see what they are all about. (EDIT: What he had were really primitive, really basic, old business-only desktop boxes. All I came away with were several PC-100 DIMMs for a good low price, especially if all are as absent of defects as claimed.)

I anticipated being able to match a 233 or 266 MHz P2 to a working HSF fan, and perhaps a case I might be able to use; mostly, I think they'll go to be recycled. The Intel 440BX, now only breadboarded, has a Creative AWE64 card, and an Intel Pro NIC. It has an AGP slot, but I have a Riva TNT 16 card in a PCI slot in it now.

I didn't recall what video cards are in the P5A and in the Soyo, but the P5A was a major pain about sound cards. There is a TB Santa Cruz in it right now. The Soyo has a Creative SB-128 PCI card in it. {From an edit later: the P5A system currently has a Radeon 7500 card in it, and with the USB Joystick unplugged, did recognize the USB keyboard in Win98.}

So: does Freespace seem to "prefer" ATI video, or 3dFX, nVidia, or S3? Does it favor any particular audio hardware? {EDITED IN: if your comments are specific to playing with the SCP upgrades from Hard Light, I'll try those after initially trying it the way it was written -- with the official patch.}

(Etc. Etc. -- I have the first 3dFX cards I've ever owned, two VooDoo2, and two VooDoo3, PCI and AGP respectively, a lot of Creative SB cards, only few others, like an Aureal Vortex 2 I just got from eBay, and a second TB Santa Cruz.) I don't have a proper VooDoo passthrough cable, nor have I collected the needed drivers yet.

Last edited by Kiwi on 2009-08-20, 23:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Kiwi

Reply 1 of 16, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!

Freespace runs fine on my Win98-Box, which has the following specs:

PIII 1,4 GHz
ASUS TUSL2-C
512 MB RAM
Graphics: Voodoo5
Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Graphics: The game makes use of Glide drivers, but will also run on Direct3D hardware. It supports both graphics APIs quite well, but I usually prefer Glide. On my setup it runs completely smooth, no frameskip or tearing or (noticeable) lag whatsoever. You rarely get to see that in PC games, especially Windows games.

Sound: It has support for EAX sound hardware (e.g. Sound Blaster Live!), although I really can't say, the reverb effects do the game any good. Sounds rather exaggerated to me, so I usually disable EAX effects.

If you have a joystick, gameplay will greatly benefit from it. A joystick with twist function like the Saitek Cyborg 3D or Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 is even better.

By the way, Freespace isn't that picky. It will also run on modern hardware and under WinXP. It doesn't have any problems with fast CPUs, I know of, so you might as well provide it with some CPU performance. I think 500 MHz and up wouldn't hurt. Be sure to install the latest patch AFTER you installed the mission disk (if you have it).

You made a great choice of game, if you ask me. In my opinion, Freespace and its sequel are among the best of space combat simulations available for PC, ever. They can even compete with Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance. Sadly, Freespace 2 also was one of the last of its genre, if not THE last space combat sim.

locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 2 of 16, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a system that I've been playing Arcanum on that has a 900 MHz Duron, which is supposed to equate roughly to a 750 Athlon. If the slower "Retro" machine turns out to be too slow, I can use that one instead. I've never set up any joystick on that system, but I can't imagine it will be that much of a problem.

As I recall, it has an MSI MB with a Via KT-266 chipset. The other socket 7 motherboard that is working for me is a Soyo that I planned to run at 500 MHz. It's the one with a Via MVP3 chipset and a Creative SB PCI 128.

The Logitech Wingman joystick does have twist-grip "rudder" control. Your reference to a Mission Disk went over my head. There were three CDs, the install disk, a Play disk, and the expansion disk. The install disk had already been patched to the latest version, but the expansion wasn't patched that far, so I'll need to apply the patch after all, although I haven't done so so far.

I'll play without the SCP improvements from Freespace II at first, if that's where the "Mission" disk usage comes from.

Kiwi

Reply 3 of 16, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have a v1.06 Freespace installation, installing the mission disk ("Silent Threat") will revert the version to v1.04. Make sure to start the game once before you re-apply the v1.06 patch. Not doing so, left me with some patching errors. If you plan on using EAX, make sure you have updated to v1.06 earlier, since the EAX patch is meant for v1.06. You might have to try different region patches. There are US, UK and european, I believe. Which one to use depends on your Freespace distribution.

That's all I have to say about patching. 900 mhz should do fine, even 500 mhz ought to be enough. I believe official requirements for the game resolve around 166 Mhz, but I would estimate that at full detail and in a combat involving enough enemy vessels and large ships, things can get slow with a 166 Mhz CPU.

locutus

Reply 4 of 16, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kiwi wrote:

I have a system that I've been playing Arcanum on that has a 900 MHz Duron, which is supposed to equate roughly to a 750 Athlon.

Well... Thats an understatement. As the matter affect, difference between a duron spitfire and old thunderbird clock for clock isnt really that great in real life performance. In this case, 900 Mhz duron might be max 5% slower then Athlon of equal clock.

First notable difference between Duron and Athlon family came with Duron Morgan (~1.4Ghz) and Athlon XP and that one almost only because of 133Mhz FSB of Athlon (which could be fixed on duron with help of a graphite pen).

Reply 5 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Locutus wrote:

things can get slow with a 166 Mhz CPU.

I've played the first Freespace fine on 100MHz MMX-lacking Pentium with a Voodoo2 (12mb) on Windows 98. I did not have any major slowdown problems, even taking on capital ships is possible.

Also, I recommend a human partner. Freespace cooperative must be experienced.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 16, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That might be a fun option, but you have to understand that I am what you must realize my own age-mates consider an aberration. I've never met a fellow PC game player in my age group. I've never met a PC system builder hobbyist in my age group. Occasionally, I run across some middle aged people (my kids' ages) who are one or the other, but it never seems that we have a single other thing in common.

Incidentally, I have the "reluctant" oldie PC hooked up right now, the one with the better-acting of my two Asus P5A MBs, K6-2/350 down-clocked to 266, 384 MBs of PC-100, a 40 GB Hdd jumpered to show up in the BIOS as 32, with a TB Santa Cruz, and a Radeon 7500 video card. The joystick isn't plugged in, and it did take notice of its USB keyboard (last time I ran it, I had no keyboard as far as it was concerned, but I did have both the joystick and keyboard plugged in).

Yes, I'm using it right now to write this reply.

Kiwi

Reply 8 of 16, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On modern hardware, I play Fallout 3 some, and NWN2's Storm of Zehir. Half the fun I expect to be having with 1998 games is playing them on hardware no more than a couple of years newer than the games. I will eventually do as you suggest, of course.

I never played Starlancer or Freelancer or Independence War when those were all new. I owned the first two from then, but never played them. I found a copy of XWA for Windows to add to the sextet, with Privateer Deluxe, or whatever the W32 version was called. I want to at least know what they were like in their own era on hardware similar to what someone with a fat wallet might have been able to use on them.

Kiwi

Reply 9 of 16, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mention Privateer Deluxe. By that, do you mean the sequel "The Darkenning" or is there really a Windows version of the first game?

Reply 10 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have Freespace on original CDs. A friend gave it to me years and years ago, cuz he wasn't into space sims but got it with some video card I believe. I've never played it. 😀

Is it any good? There are some pretty negative reviews on Mobygames. How does it compare with the sequel?

Reply 11 of 16, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was always, first and foremost, a fan of turn-based, party oriented, PC Role Play games. I don't know which one I played first for certain, nor even what early computer platform it ran on. But the only times I've tried other types, such as strategy or simulation, has been when there were no CRPGs to play / replay again.

Shooters never held any attraction for me, and I never personally included a Japanime variety game of any sort in the class of games I would try, nor were the Diablo / Dungeon Seige "action" RPGs to my liking. Then my last employment dwindled down and stopped with never any official retirement party, gold watch, ceremony, or goodbye.

I have more interests than income to cover it, by a much larger margin than ever before, which is why I looked up lists of old games I never played, and this next block is from a file of mine for the period in which the first of the Privateer games was current. I combined my game list, which was set up more along the lines of performance requirements, with a list created from two other lists.

The hardware release dates were sequential, and since the game list was not, at least not on an individual game basis, there are games that seem "out of order" now.

--> Intel's 80486 DX2/66 released August, 1992

X-Wing ... 386 /33... __2 MBs.. 486 /33.. __4 MBs .... VGA ....... 1993 . MoSlo

--> Intel's Pentium P1/60 released, 1993

WC-Pvt ... 386 /33... __4 MBs.. na GHz .. na KBs .... VGA ....... 1993

WC-Pvt* .. P-1 /60... _16 MBs.. na GHz .. na KBs .... VGA ....... (1996 Win95)

--> Intel's 80486 DX4/100 released March, 1994

Tie Ftr... 486 /66... __8 MBs.. na GHz.. na MBs .... SVGA ....... 1994

My game list had two separate entries for Privateer, with two different performance levels (I've moved the newer Privateer entry into this spot somewhere along the line; it used to be in 1996's stuff).

As to where Freespace ranks in terms of space fighter sims, I have never seen a negative review of it, and the consensus I have arrived at is that it sits atop its entire genre as the best of its kind ever made. That's how good it is supposed to be.

Kiwi

Reply 12 of 16, by Kiwi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Locutus wrote:

You mention Privateer Deluxe. By that, do you mean the sequel "The Darkenning" or is there really a Windows version of the first game?

Instead of "Deluxe", it was the "GOLD" edition:

http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Wing-Commander-P … er-Gold-Edition

Kiwi

Reply 13 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

People rave about Freespace 2 (the sequel), not the original game. I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about the first in the series.

BTW, I've never actually completed Freespace 2. I get bored about halfway through every time. 😀 I think it's a good game, but as usual it's one of those games that's overrated and called perfect and "the definition of the genre" and such nonsense. No game is the definition of its genre IMO. Freespace just takes what other games before it did, does it pretty well, and adds some cool extras.

I've always found it curious that it has "Descent" in the title. Interplay was trying to weave the somewhat popular Descent game brand into a few different genres towards the end of the company's run. Was kinda dumb I thought.

Reply 14 of 16, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kiwi wrote:

or Independence War when those were all new.

Hail the greatness....

intro pt1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7AsRQXOUSY&feature=related

intro pt2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1m2ZW1u84&feature=related

Reply 15 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

People rave about Freespace 2 (the sequel), not the original game. I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about the first in the series.

Of course - because the first one wasn't made available for download from the same source they started raving about FS2 from 😜 Many games *there* (i'm not even going to mention it, you know what site I mean) had the same fan-wannabe effect as soon as they were downloadable there, like Blood.

Descent: Freespace was actually well distributed. I know it came in full OEM on many force feedback joysticks in 98.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I have an OEM copy of Descent: Freespace that a friend gave me years ago because he wasn't interested in the game. It's two CDs. I've only played it a little.