VOGONS

Old CD Magazines / Magazine CDs for download

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

they got deleted. not much interest anyway.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-02-01, 22:32. Edited 28 times in total.

Reply 4 of 78, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thump up from me too, I wish I had not thrown out all my old shareware and PC player CDs out now.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2009-08-28, 07:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 78, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I loved these inclusions back then. They were stuff worth having for a dialup user, and some of them archived stuff the internet lost too. The best years of these discs for me were 96 and 97.
Notable things:
-6-95 CD-Rom Today has the very rare RSD Game-Maker 3.0, with a "distribute to ten friends for free" end-user license.
-96 PC Gamer CD has the rare zip (rare as in the original, not repacked) version of Quake v0.91 shareware, and its 0.92 patch (included at least FOUR times on the disc, as well as extracted 3 times!) Those two are provided here:
QUAKE091.ZIP
QUAKE092P.ZIP
-96 PC Gamer CD also has the rare Ultra Doom 2X Doom2 mod. It's not allowed on idgames/ since it contains a modified DOOM2.EXE instead of the dehacked patch itself. I have provided it here for the curious. Google has no hits for Ultrad2x.zip (until now!
-12-94 CD-Rom Today has the awful Felix the Cat Toon Maker 'demo'. I thought it was so bad not even a kid would enjoy this.

Weird there' sno one starting an archive about them. Computer Games Strategy (iirc?) often packed more than just demos but a lot of interesting freeware filler.

I'm noticing a certain theme among most of these.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the details leileilol I wasn't aware of the rarity of some of the files on these CDs.

I have some more PC Gamer disks that I will post up. I have a few in between #1 and 2.8. I wish I had more of these CDs but that will be just about everything except for some that CGWs that are too recent (earliest is 98, I believe). I actually have a CGW special edition DVD with full Deus Ex GotY on it. Can't post that obviously! 😀

Reply 7 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Added PCGamer CDs 7, 8, and 11.

Also added a magazine pre-release demo of TIE Fighter that came on 2 floppies. I can't remember where I got this exactly, but I think it was with a magazine. It has a Dodge Neon interactive ad and a TIE Fighter demo that has many aspects that were changed before the final game release.

Reply 12 of 78, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

All hail swaaye! (Prostrating) 😁

Seconded. Downloading now. However, the extension is .7z. Maybe I'm supposed to rename it to .ISO or something?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 78, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Seconded. Downloading now. However, the extension is .7z. Maybe I'm supposed to rename it to .ISO or something?

.7z is the extension for the open source powerful file compressor/decompressor/archiver : 7-Zip.
You need to decompress/expand using the 7-zip utility : http://www.7-zip.org/

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 78, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

.7z is the extension for the open source powerful file compressor/decompressor/archiver : 7-Zip.
You need to decompress/expand using the 7-zip utility : http://www.7-zip.org/

....and I thought I already knew every open source apps. out there. Duh!

Thanks, by the way. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16 of 78, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WinRAR is the stuff. It's one of a handful of shareware apps that I have paid for, simply because I have used it so much for so long.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold