VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The following webpage shows an ebay seller's 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drives for sale -

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/PRICE-ATTACK-ST … ?_nkw=vintage+5

I need a drive that accepts 5.25" 1.2MB high density disks. Please can someone tell me if these things for sale are suitable? Thanks a lot! 😀

Reply 1 of 55, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

The following webpage shows an ebay seller's 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drives for sale -

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/PRICE-ATTACK-ST … ?_nkw=vintage+5

I need a drive that accepts 5.25" 1.2MB high density disks. Please can someone tell me if these things for sale are suitable? Thanks a lot! 😀

Just check that it's not a 360k model you're getting..just google the modelnumbers
It's very hard to find cleaning discs for these nowdays so I'd get a bunch of them so you have a better chance of ending up with a working one.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 55, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for descriptions with

5.25" or 5¼ inch
{
a.) 1.2MB FDD
b.) 2DHD FDD
c.) 2SHD FDD
d.) High Density
e.) 1.2
f.) 1.2MB High Density Floppy Disk Drive (duh! 😜)
}

/*Where

FDD = Floppy Disk Drive
2DHD/2SHD = Double Sided High Density

*/

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 55, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

It's very hard to find cleaning discs for these nowdays so I'd get a bunch of them so you have a better chance of ending up with a working one.

Can you not take them apart and clean the heads?

I had a 5 1/4 drive about 8 years ago but my brothers kid crammed a CD into it so I tossed it. I could have took it apart I guess to get the disk out but I had no games for it anyway.

Reply 4 of 55, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you really must get a 5.25" drive, I suggest finding one of the spiffy combo 3.5"+5.25" drives. 😀

I'm thinking that all of these are HD but I could be wrong.

Attachments

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-10-22, 21:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

didn't know there were combo drives...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 55, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everyone, thanks a lot.

I ordered this thing, a Mitsubishi drive. I'm not sure why it's missing its top cover. When it arrives, I'll let you know if it can read my SSI RPG "Krynn" high density 5.25" disks.

Attachments

• mits.jpg
    Filename
    mits.jpg
    File size
    30.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 55, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

I'm not sure why it's missing its top cover.

Ermm....which cover do you mean? It looks fine to me. These drives mostly look this way. If you mean that you can see the internal components from the top, it's perfectly normal. I can't remember seeing a covered drive. Maybe slightly expensive or branded drives come with it. External drives like those for Mac are fully covered.

Anyway, I hope you do have a 5.25" FDD cleaner. (Or you can clean it manually.) To protect both the disks and the drive. You might never know which can cause the initial problem after all these years.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 55, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 5.25" floppy disk drive has just arrived. One cable (top, 2 wires) was plugged in, the other cable (bottom, 3 wires) was not plugged in. I thought perhaps this 3 wire cable had come loose during shipping, and so I plugged it in - see photo. Was this the correct thing to do? (I haven't tested this drive yet.)

Attachments

• fdrive.JPG
    Filename
    fdrive.JPG
    File size
    88.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 55, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided to go ahead and test the drive. I have left that bottom 3 wire cable plugged in. I am guessing it needs to be plugged in. I attached the drive to an Athlon based mobo, and went in to its BIOS Setup area. I set the A: drive to be 1.2M 5.25, and also enabled the onboard FDD controller. Inside Windows 98, I examined the Device Manager area. In it, I could see a Generic floppy disk and a standard floppy disk controller. I guess that's OK.

So, I put in an old 5.25" disk, which was a very old D&D disk called "Pools of Radiance". Then I ran Windows Explorer, and clicked on the 5 1/4 floppy disk icon above the C:\ drive icon, so that I could browse the contents of this floppy disk. After about 15 seconds of "disk whirring", a pop up message box appeared saying -

The disk in drive A is not formatted
Do you want to format it now?

I decided to Restart Windows 98 in MS-DOS mode, and try accessing the A:\ drive at the command prompt, but this gives me the error message of -

General failure reading drive A

Any ideas please people?

Edit: I'm using a floppy disk cable with 5 "plugs" on it. One plug goes in to the mobo, the other 4 are at the other end of the cable. 2 are for 3.5" drives, 2 are for 5.25" drives. I have plugged the very end plug, in effect the 5th plug, in to the 5.25" drive. None of the other 3 "disk drive plugs" are being used for anything. Is this OK?

Edit 2: I've just tried using the middle 5.25" plug on the floppy ribbon cable, instead of the end plug. This time, inside Windows Explorer, I get the following pop up message box error -

A:\ is not accessible
The device is not ready

I've tried 2 floppy disks - "Pools of Radiance", and a newer disk called "Dark Queen of Krynn" which is specifically labelled "high density disk". On the drive itself, there is a date stamp of 6/1992. I guess this is not an ancient drive, and I am guessing it's capable of reading a high density disk OK.

Perhaps it's faulty?