VOGONS

More fun and games with VIA's KT133/A chipset

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There seems to be a reasonable selection of KT133A based boards. I wanted to test another, with just the one ISA slot for that "retro rocket" flavour specification. This one's made by QDI, and it's called a KinetiZ 7E-A. If you compare and contrast this with an Epox EP-8KTA3+Pro board for example, the QDI board looks positively lightweight. There are no "extra volts" jumpers on it, for a start.

I used the internet archive wayback engine to browse the now defunct QDI's website, in search of its latest BIOS. They had one there, with a version number of 3.8. But I also googled for the 7E-A board, and found repeated references to a higher version, 4.1, and so I just flashed the board with that. It's dated January 2004, which seems quite modern! The BIOS flash procedure worked, and I tried a few CPUs -

Durons: OK
T-Birds (200fsb & 266fsb): OK
Palominos: no BIOS POST for a brown coloured 1700+ CPU, but a green coloured 1900+ POSTed OK.
T-Bred: OK. I tried a 1700+, which the BIOS POST screen told me was a Duron.

The mobo has a 133fsb jumper, which I have "enabled". The RAM can be set to 133 speed inside the BIOS.

SiSoftware Sandra reports the following information, with an XP 1900+ Palomino installed -

CPU Temp = 41 (good!)
CPU core voltage = 1.69
3.3V = 3.18 (a bit low?)
5V = 4.58 (low!)
12V = 12.13

I gave the usual benchies a quick blast, such as Sandra, Prime95, and some games. Nothing unusual to report. Has anyone either used this board, or heard anything about it? Maybe it's useful to have as an alternative back up board to the "slightly bonkers" Epox offering?

Attachments

• qdi.jpg
    Filename
    qdi.jpg
    File size
    34.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 219, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personaly using for tests Soltek SL75-KAV. Its basicaly same mobo, but instead AGP i have AGP Pro (thats why i choosed it). I have there Thoroughbred XP2200+ and works and detects fine. Everything works fine except Voodoo 1 cards, none i tried were working on this mobo (i read that there were some drivers problems with new chipsets). And some profi vga's seems dont work there too (strange is that im pretty sure some of them worked fine on mine dual celeron abit MB with intel BX440). Old pci integraph cards (1996-1997) wont boot and Accel Graphics Eclipse and HP FX6+ boot, but cant run anything in 3D. So think its again some compatibility issues with via chipset. In ISA slot worked every 16bit isa graphic card i tested and most 8bit cards too - but some of them - about 1/3 wont boot (using for them old 486 mobo). So think for usual use its fine solution. But today is better find something with via KT333 chipset. Its last common mobo with ISA and have support for much cheaper DDR memory and Bartons works there fine too.
I'd like to have for testing rather some intel MB (faster CPUs and less compatibility problems) but i havent found any with agp pro or universal and ISA. Anyway Athlon XP2200+ is much faster that they can imagine in days of Pentium1 or Pentium2.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 2 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's good that many of these old boards can have their BIOSes flashed, so that they can accept more recent CPUs, such as T-breds.

vlask wrote:

But today is better find something with via KT333 chipset. Its last common mobo with ISA and have support for much cheaper DDR memory and Bartons works there fine too.

I checked VIA's website for the KT333 chipset -

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/legacy/kt333/

, and the ISA bus is not mentioned. Perhaps the KT133A is the last VIA chipset to support this old bus system?

Reply 3 of 219, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty confident that KT133a based boards are the latest to have ISA slots. The big deal about the KT333 is that it is the latest to support agp 2x/4x, and other thing like DDMA. There are also some intel i845 Pentium 4 boards, but that is going to be it.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 219, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a QDI Kudoz 7 (KT266), until It went seriously underpowered and moved to a AMD 64 PC. It was stable and never gave me a problem.

As a side note, the south bridge is capable of sound blaster emulation (I thinkt it does sound blaster HARDWARE emulation), so I guess it is usable in DOS without any other sound card.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried a green coloured XP Athlon 2400+ CPU (code AXDA2400DKV3C), and it worked fine. THE BIOS POST screen correctly identified it, and Windows 98 didn't complain when the desktop appeared. I quickly ran a few benchies, including Prime95, and nothing bad happened. The CPU temp seemed to hover around the 40C mark, which I think is good.

Reply 7 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't understand precisely what you mean. However, when I switched on the power and looked at the BIOS POST messages, it said: Athlon XP 2400+ My guess is, and to answer your question, "yes".

Reply 8 of 219, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool 😀

Can you please run cpu-z and give a screenshot?

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 9 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I DL'd that utility, then ran it on the Kinetiz (windows 98 ) rig. I don't think that version supports win98. I get an instant Runtime Error! message box. I also got a "wrong version" error when I ran the installer. Is there an earlier version I can try? Please bear in mind that I can only do a digital camera screenshot ATM, because my internet PC has no working floppy disk drive ATM.

Reply 10 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took about 15 pics of the BIOS POST screen, and this awful one was the best! SiSoftware Sandra gives me these scores -

Dry 5470
Wet 2728

Mainboard information gives this info -

MP Support = No. Does this mean no XP-M CPU support?

Is there any info you want me to look up, using SiSoftware Sandra? Just let me know, I would be happy to do this.

Attachments

• k2.JPG
    Filename
    k2.JPG
    File size
    67.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 219, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I took about 15 pics of the BIOS POST screen, and this awful one was the best! SiSoftware Sandra gives me these scores - […]
Show full quote

I took about 15 pics of the BIOS POST screen, and this awful one was the best! SiSoftware Sandra gives me these scores -

Dry 5470
Wet 2728

Mainboard information gives this info -

Is there any info you want me to look up, using SiSoftware Sandra? Just let me know, I would be happy to do this.

What speed does the CPU operate at?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 12 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I ran SiSoftware Sandra 2002 Professional (a free download), and here's what it says -

Processor
Speed 1.99GHz
2400 (estimated)
PR2917 (estimated)
Multiplier 15x
Revision stepping 8 / 1 (0)

FSB speed = 2 x 133mhz (266mhz data rate)
Memory = 1 x 133mhz (133mhz data rate)

AGP speed = 66
Current data transfer rate = 4 x 66mhz (264mhz data rate)

Reply 13 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just activated the mothership's retro-vac suction pump, and another Kinetiz board will soon be with usss. The seller told me it's a Rev 2 board, just like the one I've got ATM. But the caps on this new one (see photo below) look "meatier" than the rather feeble ones as seen in the first photo - see O.P.

Attachments

• kin2.jpg
    Filename
    kin2.jpg
    File size
    35.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 219, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, that means no multiprocessor support... i.e., it only has one CPU socket. XP mobiles are a different matter, and if it works with a standard XP chip it should work with an XP-M as well.

Reply 15 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for a bit of fun, I went in to the mobo's BIOS set up area, and adjusted the frequency/voltage control -> CPU Host/PCI/Spread Spec. value from its "Default" setting to: 140/35mhz/off. (Its highest setting is 166/42mhz/off, which I have not tried.) Now, when I boot up the mobo, the CPU speed is 2.1GHz (not ~2.0GHz), and the FSB is 2x140 (280 data rate), not 2x133 (~266). Sandra now gives me these scores -

Dry 5804
Wet 2879

The CPU temp is 40C, which I think is great. A very quick blast with Prime95, and nothing bad happens. Also, unlike the "rotten caps" Epox KT133A chipset based board, this one doesn't make strange high pitched "screaming" sounds!

Reply 16 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's one of these boards on German ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& … _fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

In the item description, it says -

(getestet mit Athlon XP 2600+/266)

Reply 17 of 219, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board in the photo directly above (not in O.P.) arrived, but it won't POST. I tried 5 "slow" CPUs (eg Durons), 4 different sticks of RAM, 2 graphics cards, even 2 PSUs! I double-checked all of the mobo's jumpers. And all I get for my efforts is a blank screen. Bah! 😒 🙁 😢