VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We all know there is some ''noise'' in our computer systems. Iron / Ferrite coil chokes are preventing this to happen at their utmost capabilities, but sometimes (as it has been explained to me) if more of these coils are placed in near vicinity, they actually interfere with each other IF not properly packaged...

So let's take a look into the 90'-late 2004 - The coils were absolutely naked on an average mobo from almost every motherboard manufacturer, which wasn't the best solution for overclockers, thus the circuits could perform inappropriately, in worse cases fail with ugly consequences...So I have an idea (and an impression from Supermicro's mobos) - let's get them some clothes !!!

You may have caught a glimpse of these coils to have some plastic/rubber thing spinned around and over it, helping this to diminish the EMI...

So my point is: Can I make myself something like that for the naked ones? I guess it can help a bit to stabilize the circuitry, so why not to try it? Do I use some plastics or some liquid compund to cover them?

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 2 of 5, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for clarification, so what is it on it? Here's what I mean:

rack28lg.th.jpg

Circled yellow, the coils have what I'm about to replicate on some of mine. Any suggestions/ideas?

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 3 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd assume it's heat shrink tube. Either to keep the winding in place for production purposes or an attempt to keep it from producing audible noise (the winding can move around in the magnetic field and scratch along the core if it's not sitting tight).

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may have caught a glimpse of these coils to have some plastic/rubber thing spinned around and over it, helping this to diminish the EMI...

It doesn't do anything about EMI... what it does is help dampen physical vibrations. Heatshrink doesn't always work very well, though, since the movement is so tiny, you might not be able to get it tight enough to hold things in place.

Personally, I just give 'em a good coat of lacquer. Fills in the gaps, dries hard.