User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I thought someone else would do it

ux-3 wrote:

I just couldn't be bothered

I am so disappointed in you both, can't you take your retro gaming seriously? 🤣 😉

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 81 of 217, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I am glad not to have reached the levels of insanety and obsession, I observe with others here- 😉

And if I keep hunting for the perfect sound card, the perfect CPU etc., I won't find the time to actually game. My current project suffered a major setback, when my new AOPEN turned out to be defective and took two locked cpus with it.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 82 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

Actually, I am glad not to have reached the levels of insanety and obsession, I observe with others here- 😉.....

So thats why I don't have time to tinker on my hardware! I just game too much! 😁

Anyway, I've had so much to do the last couple weeks, I barely have had time to test all the stuff I've bought the last 2 months.

Reply 83 of 217, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to try a P2 that I'm pretty sure is unlocked but could not get it into the socket.
In theory it should fit/work but too much pressure was going in and it was not being seated 🙁

Reply 84 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

I was going to try a P2 that I'm pretty sure is unlocked but could not get it into the socket.
In theory it should fit/work but too much pressure was going in and it was not being seated 🙁

Then it probably has some bend pins.

Either that or the socket has somethi8ng stuck in it.

I have a trick, when a socket cpu won't fit and I suspect one of more bend pins, I'll gently 'move the cpu ina circle like movement' while applying very little pressure to press it into the socket. This lets me know what part of the PGA is problematic

Edit:If the cpu that won't fit is a slot one, often it's the retention thingy that gives trouble. Either that or theres something stuck within the slot. Use a small flashlight to check the inside of the slot for any dirt or other small objects.
You can also put the board on a work bench, remove the retention thingy and then try to install the cpu. If it then fits, it's probably the retention mechanism. There were many different versions and varieties made

Reply 85 of 217, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has to be the retention thingy then since my P3 600EB fits perfectly with no pressure needed.
I might play around with it later today.

Reply 88 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

Do we know if P2 450MHz without lock exist? Does anyone have one?

Don't have any P2-450's to test I'm afraid. Those seem to be a lot more uncommon then the 400 ones. Only seen one P2-450(not 400 🤣, typo) in the flesh and I had no opportunity to trade the owner another slot 1 cpu. The owner simply didn't care, alas.

Edit: Typed 400 instead of 450, corrected

Last edited by Tetrium on 2010-06-21, 12:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 90 of 217, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Release date of the 450MHz deschutes is August 24, 1998. Which is around the suspected date after which all retail Pentium's were fully locked. Also Core stepping is DB0.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 93 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Sorry I disappeared for so long.

Would this work in my machine? I couldn't find an option to change the fsb speed, so I don't know if it will only accept 100mhz fsb speed pIIs, if it will run at 100mhz anyway and risk killing itself or just not work, or if it will automatically underclock to 66mhz. I would like to be absolutely sure it will work before buying anything.

Would I need to replace the ram as well? Apparently, the DIMM and fsb speeds should match (even though I think my DIMM speed is 133mhz).

Reply 94 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AdamP wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Sorry I disappeared for so long.

Would this work in my machine? I couldn't find an option to change the fsb speed, so I don't know if it will only accept 100mhz fsb speed pIIs, if it will run at 100mhz anyway and risk killing itself or just not work, or if it will automatically underclock to 66mhz. I would like to be absolutely sure it will work before buying anything.

Would I need to replace the ram as well? Apparently, the DIMM and fsb speeds should match (even though I think my DIMM speed is 133mhz).

You can never be absolutely sure something will work, but in your case I'd say your board will set the fsb at the correct 66mhz automatically (unless you jumpered it to 100 instead of 66 but from your post I can quess that is not the case).
It's not really underclocking since you'll be running your cpu at it's designated speed.
Your ram will work perfectly fine at 66mhz. You could, if you wanted to, lower the cas latency from 3 to 2 even though I don't think it will help much, if any, with that particular chip.

Why'd you want that old Klamath anyway? It's basically the crappiest P2 ever made 😜
Why not try getting a Deschutes? It will have half the power consumption the Klamath has 😉

Reply 95 of 217, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😁 😁 😁

I got one!

80523PY400512 SL2S7
98300966-0436 MALAY

This CPU must have been manufactured almost at the same time Tetriums was made. But I am unable to use multipliers over 4x.

What we now need is some information:

What board did Tetrium use?
Does the CPU truely run at the displayed speed. He should try 66MHz at 5x and see if he gets real 333MHz, with Memtest86 or some other tool that measures.

Does his board pull the 66/100 sensor low? I read reports that this actually releases the multiplier up to 5.5

Reply 96 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

You can never be absolutely sure something will work

In that case, I'll settle for being sure it should work. 😀

The pII I currently have is a Deschutes but I can't underclock it. My motherboard has DIP switches for frequency selection, but they have no effect, so I'm guessing it's locked at the cpu as I know some later pIIs are locked.

Would this Deschutes pII work and is it unlocked and would I be able to underclock it to 233mhz? (that's the slowest my motherboard will allow, and I think that's a bit expensive for such an old cpu)

Reply 99 of 217, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AdamP wrote:

Is this SL2S5 unlocked? It's a bit cheaper that the other one.

If you want success, you'll need other info, to which gerwin has linked and which Tetrium has nicely illustrated. After reading about Tetriums P2 400, I took some efford and tracked one down myself. Just took some mails to the sellers. After about a week, I found a 9830... Malay.