VOGONS

First post, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was given a GeForce 2 MX200 32 mb pci card. I've looked all over, but just can't find the minimum hardeware specs for this card. So I'm asking here.

Will this card work in a pc with the following specs?

PII 300mhz mmx
250 watt psu
64 mb ram
2 - 8gb HDD
Windows 98SE

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should. Those are simple, low power cards. Just give it a try and see if you have any reboot problems.

I suggest drivers from the 45.xx series or older.

Reply 2 of 6, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

It should. Those are simple, low power cards. Just give it a try and see if you have any reboot problems.

I suggest drivers from the 45.xx series or older.

Thanks for the suggestion on the drivers. 😎

I'm currently running on a Diamond Stealth III 16 mb APG card with a 12 mb Voodoo 2 pci card and I'm not having any problems. Of course, I'm always looking to upgrade. 😉

Reply 4 of 6, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gravitone wrote:

I'd go with a real geforce 2 (pro/ultra). At least those have rudimentary shader support. And of course T&L. Geforce 3 cards would probably a bit overkill for that system 😁

Hey, I received the card for free! 😁

Beggar's can't be choosers! 😉

swaaye, I dl the 45.23 drivers from nvidia's website. They did have up to 81.xx drivers there. Do the newer drivers break a lot of things? Or the benefit isn't there for my old hardware?

Reply 5 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had problems with stability on my 440BX mobo with drivers after 56.xx. That was with GeForce FX though. Overall I think you are probably best off with drivers released after, but near to, the release of the games you want to play.

Actually all GeForce 2 cards have the same featureset. The speed is all that varies. GeForce 2 MX is essentially one half of GeForce 2 GTS. The MX100 and 200 have limited memory bandwidth however.