VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just fitted a new [as in "unused"] 80mm Speeze aluminium-but-copper-cored heat sink and fan to my Athlon XP. Damn sight quieter than the Qtec solid copper heat sink and 60mm fan I used before, and 3 degrees cooler.

But there's a high-pitched noise coming from the fan, a bit like an old CRT makes. Can the fan be lubricated and what should I use? Choices seem to be graphite powder, silicone oil [like for musical instruments or shavers], or good old 3-in-1 household oil.

Reply 1 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always just used 3-in-1. If a drop or two of that stuff doesn't work, then it's a pretty sure bet that the bearing races are shot and further effort would be better spent in getting a new fan.

Reply 3 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use white teflon grease for re-greasing the worm gear mechanism in my old phat PS2 drive... this will most likely work for fans too. White lithium grease is also a good lubricant.

I would personally stay away from silicone grease as it thins out and collects dust and other crap too easily! Also the "3-in-1" standard oils tend to end up a bit gungy after a while in my experience.

Reply 6 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

hell i used to pull the "C" clip off rub the axel down with Vaseline and called it good back in my P2 days.

As long as it doesn't touch any plastic parts... Vaseline contains petroleum which is bad for plastics!