VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whoever necroed this post... i've been having some touble this board for quite some time too, and i would ask if you have similar experience:

gigabyte 5ax(rev4.1) and k6-2+
no know issue encountered in win98, there just aren't many things you can do in win98 today.

in win2000, windows reports cpu at half of actual frequency(500 reported to be 250 for example), causing many games and benchmarks to go out of speed control(much faster than normal).
reinstalling win2000 with apm core(disableing acpi) can solve the frequency problem but arises another: windows takes very long(about 10 minutes) to load once ali agp driver is installed.

Reply 41 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, RG100 where the heck are you hiding mate!

Unfortunately, I'm busy until early October. But then normal service will be resumed, and I will begin testing retro hardware and posting on Vogons again...

Reply 42 of 50, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The jumper is theoretically more convenient, especially when you need to reset many times in a row and the battery clip is of a type that makes it hard to remove the battery.

Reply 43 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, RG100 where the heck are you hiding mate!

Unfortunately, I'm busy until early October. But then normal service will be resumed, and I will begin testing retro hardware and posting on Vogons again...

No worries mate, I read your PM. Cheers, and have fun 😉

HunterZ wrote:

The jumper is theoretically more convenient, especially when you need to reset many times in a row and the battery clip is of a type that makes it hard to remove the battery.

Especially if the battery is hiding under a plethora of cables and PCB's 😜

@noshutdown: Did you update the BIOS to include support for the mobiles? Theres a page with lots of 3rd party BIOS files which update many SS7 boards which include support for the mobiles.
I run a desktop K6-III in mine and haven't been having any issues like you're describing. Otoh, I haven't used my SS7 rig in the last couple months

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 50, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

@noshutdown: Did you update the BIOS to include support for the mobiles? Theres a page with lots of 3rd party BIOS files which update many SS7 boards which include support for the mobiles.
I run a desktop K6-III in mine and haven't been having any issues like you're describing. Otoh, I haven't used my SS7 rig in the last couple months

bios is updated to newest version long before.
i agree that the problem MAY be exclusive to mobile cpus, but can't find out whether its bios or win2000's fault, there is no such problem in win98.
any ideas about my second section? reinstalling win2000 with apm core(acpi disabled) can solve this problem, but windows takes very long(~10 minutes) to load once agp driver is installed.

Reply 45 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
bios is updated to newest version long before. i agree that the problem MAY be exclusive to mobile cpus, but can't find out whet […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

i agree that the problem MAY be exclusive to mobile cpus, but can't find out whether its bios or win2000's fault, there is no such problem in win98.
any ideas about my second section? reinstalling win2000 with apm core(acpi disabled) can solve this problem, but windows takes very long(~10 minutes) to load once agp driver is installed.

Holy shat 10 minutes? 😳
Sorry, but I really haven't got a clue as to what's causing this. What SP are you running with 2k? It might be a fixed issue

Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 50, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah the loading progress bar holds at about 50% for so long
this won't happen if you don't install agp driver, but then you can't get display drivers installed.
i use win2000sp4

Reply 47 of 50, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
noshutdown wrote:
bios is updated to newest version long before. i agree that the problem MAY be exclusive to mobile cpus, but can't find out whet […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Holy shat 10 minutes? 😳
Sorry, but I really haven't got a clue as to what's causing this. What SP are you running with 2k? It might be a fixed issue

It's things like this that makes me shy away from Socket 7 AGP boards these days. I used one because it was what I could afford at the time, but now I'd just build a Slot 1 machine.

Reply 48 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

Holy shat 10 minutes? 😳

It's things like this that makes me shy away from Socket 7 AGP boards these days. I used one because it was what I could afford at the time, but now I'd just build a Slot 1 machine.

It's things like that that make me wanna throw an OS on a rig that actually fits the rig. Personally I'm not a fan of 2k. It's kinda like XP, but older without having lower system specs. 9x always has lower sys specs then 2k ever will. Also it's easier to slipstream XP then 2k, creating a leaner OS.

I've understood theres also Fundamentals, but haven't gotten a copy of that OS yet.

Report spammers here!

Reply 49 of 50, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just got an old 250nm core k6-3-450, which is not mobile, and no help to the clock misreporting problem.
don't have pentium series at hand, so i am not sure if its all the board's fault(either chipset or the newest bios), or only applies to k6-2/3 cpus.

Reply 50 of 50, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may have all been mentioned but I had one of these boards, it was released late in the SS7 era and it's really focused on the AMD K6-2 / K6-3 chips (whatever the manual says!). This maybe why you are struggling with multipliers for "proper" pentiums.