VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiyas!

I couldn't help but noticing that my 1.4ghz tualatin pentium3 gets too hot for my taste... ~60-63 celcius degrees 😵
It is mounted on a Asus TUSL2-C mobo with a voodoo5/5500... are those temps normal? the heatsink is just a normal tualatin one to my knowledge, nothing special....
Before I take the machine apart I would love to hear what temps you guys have...
thanks! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I could help you. I do have a 1.4ghz tualatin PIII, but it's mounted on a Powerleap adapter, and I can't remember off the top of my head if it's possible to access its temperature sensor reading. If anyone can confirm that this is possible, I'll plug it all in to a slot 1 mobo I have here, and found out its typical temp value...

Reply 2 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Hiyas! […]
Show full quote

Hiyas!

I couldn't help but noticing that my 1.4ghz tualatin pentium3 gets too hot for my taste... ~60-63 celcius degrees 😵
It is mounted on a Asus TUSL2-C mobo with a voodoo5/5500... are those temps normal? the heatsink is just a normal tualatin one to my knowledge, nothing special....
Before I take the machine apart I would love to hear what temps you guys have...
thanks! 😊

ouch..that sounds hot

Can't remember exactly how cold mine runs but I thhink it's around +50-55C under load...mine is clocked at 1.6ghz and using an Arctic Cooling Copper Silent hs/fan

Wish I could do a quicj check but this machine is in my basement where it has been since I moved in December last year

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I wish I could help you. I do have a 1.4ghz tualatin PIII, but it's mounted on a Powerleap adapter, and I can't remember off the top of my head if it's possible to access its temperature sensor reading. If anyone can confirm that this is possible, I'll plug it all in to a slot 1 mobo I have here, and found out its typical temp value...

Is that a "real" 512k Tualatin 1.4ghz?

Reply 4 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

What do you mean by "real"? Are there fakes on the market?
The CPU code printed on it says SL6BY, and the cpu-world webpage is here. On this page, it says that the cache is 512K.

I can set the Powerleap adapter to run at 133 FSB, and even set the Asus slot 1 mobo's FSB to 150, and it comfortably runs this Tualatin chip at that setting.

Reply 5 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
What do you mean by "real"? Are there fakes on the market? The CPU code printed on it says SL6BY, and the cpu-world webpage is […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

What do you mean by "real"? Are there fakes on the market?
The CPU code printed on it says SL6BY, and the cpu-world webpage is here. On this page, it says that the cache is 512K.

I can set the Powerleap adapter to run at 133 FSB, and even set the Asus slot 1 mobo's FSB to 150, and it comfortably runs this Tualatin chip at that setting.

What I meant was if you were using a 256k 100mhz fsb Tualatin Celeronb I've seen people use with the PL adapters

Reply 6 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmm .... Amigo if you had 50-55 under load then my crappy stock HS is somewhat OK....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

hmmm .... Amigo if you had 50-55 under load then my crappy stock HS is somewhat OK....

Since your CPU isn't OC it seem a bit "hot" since these CPU's run quite cool...not flaming hot like a P4 Prescott 😁

Reply 8 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is the heatsink I have on it at the moment...

IMG00244-20101118-1535.jpg

it goes to 60+ degrees.... time to get a better one I am not even sure this is suitable for a 1.4ghz cpu...

Reply 9 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
this is the heatsink I have on it at the moment... […]
Show full quote

this is the heatsink I have on it at the moment...

IMG00244-20101118-1535.jpg

it goes to 60+ degrees.... time to get a better one I am not even sure this is suitable for a 1.4ghz cpu...

It looks quite "efficient" to me

Maybe it's down to a slow spinning fan or poor case ventilation?

Reply 10 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Consider removing the existing thermal grease from both the surface of the heatsink, and the CPU area. Then clean up these areas, and reapply thermal grease. You might like to spread a very thin amount to both the CPU area, and also to the heatsink area which directly touches the CPU. Also, is the heatsink clipped on to the CPU heatsink socket area reasonably tightly?

Reply 11 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Consider removing the existing thermal grease from both the surface of the heatsink, and the CPU area. Then clean up these areas, and reapply thermal grease. You might like to spread a very thin amount to both the CPU area, and also to the heatsink area which directly touches the CPU. Also, is the heatsink clipped on to the CPU heatsink socket area reasonably tightly?

My thought exactly. The HSF combo should be well enough to cool that SL6BY.
If the fan spins ok it could be either incorrectly/too much thermal paste or the heatsink is mounted the wrong way around.

Edit:If you look real close at the pic it seems your heatsink isn't installed correctly, thus making poor contact with the surface of the IHS. You'll need to remount it and all should be fine 😉

Reply 12 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The P3 1400 is only about a 30W CPU. That means just about any basic Athlon cooler is more than enough to cool it even with a very slow fan. Athlon CPUs range from about 35W to 75W.

I have a few old Athlon coolers around. I think the one I used is all aluminum and it uses a 50mm fan. I rewired the fan for 5v so it's inaudible.

Reply 13 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will double check everything but one thing makes me *believe* the heatsink is actually working and has good contact: it is not cold to touch, when the cpu reaches 60 then the heatsink is too warm ... if the contact was not good would the heatsink even get warm?

edit: the heatsink is installed with this orientation (please excuse the crude "diagram")

2ebvfyr.jpg

Reply 14 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that cooler fitting in that tight area? Are you sure nothing is pressing on it from underneath?

And yes if the heatsink is getting hot that means it is conducting heat well. If the CPU is baking and the heatsink is only warm then clearly there is a problem with the contact.

I think you are worrying too much about the temps honestly. If you're not overvolting, and the heatsink is dissipating heat, you should be good to go. That heatsink looks definitely up to the task.

Reply 15 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard are you using?

Have you reinstalled the heatsink yet? From the photo (yes, it's difficult for me to see for sure from that angle) the heatsink seems to touch the higher plastic 'strip' of the cpu socket (the part of the socket that sais PGA370) and yes, it may still conduct part of the heat even if installed that way. Still those temps are a bit high for such a cpu with such a heatsink.
Well, it must be either wrong temps or a wrong temp measurement.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 68, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

60-63c sounds too high. I don't have a 1.4ghz, but the 1.2Ghz Tualeron that I have (overclocked to 1.4ghz and overvolted to 1.6v) idles at max 40 and tops out below 55. Ambient temperature in Temeria ATM is 30c on a good day. Shouldn't be that much difference between the two I think? Plus I'm using an even smaller than stock Coolermaster heatsink with a 5500rpm fan.

Your heatsink looks to be the stock one that shipped with FCPGA2 chips, but you may need to adjust the heatsink retaining clamp. Bend it upwards to make it tighter thus ensuring better contact with the processor and see if that works. Also, try shifting the heatsink back and forth till you got a good and square contact with the cpu. I've had to do that with quite a few socket 370 builds. Best to be done with the mobo outta the case and eye level so that you can see how the heatsink is sitting exactly.

Reply 17 of 68, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just checked it and I got 48-50ºC on idle and 56-58ºC after playing Quake III for a while with no framerame limit or executing a Super PI long calculation. Tested on Pentium III-S 1.4 GHz and Asus P3B-F with Slot-T adapter, running at stock speed and voltage (10.5x133 FSB, 1.45V). Standard Socket 370 heatsink & fan with Arctic Silver 5 thermal grase applied. Asus Probe 2.25.02 used for monitoring. Not sure that those measurements are accurate enough, though. CPU temperature was very unstable during the whole monitoring.

Reply 18 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@swaaye: yeah, it could be me... but idle at 60? seems too much... (and to think back then NOONE cared the voodoo3 was cooking, maybe I worry too much)

@tetrium: an ASUS TUSL2-C , the higher plastic of the socket does not touch the heatsink, I payed attention to that and I put the heatsink the correct way

@ will check the clamp but it is pretty tight!!

@ batracio: I iddle at 60-63... :x

thanks for all, I have just installed a VERY noisy heatsink/fan that kept my AthlonXP 2600+ cool ... I will report later 😀

edit: the athlon cooler seems to drop my temps -10 degrees... but the noise is EPIC! 😜

btw, this is how I install the heatsinks:

10onz28.jpg